Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

We Close our Eyes & Still See Stamps.  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3116 Posts
Posted 12/28/2010   03:34 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Donna.
Yes the florals are very well watered.
It did take a lot of effort. Going off on the wrong tangents was very frequent.
I was in a position where I had to find a way to do it.
We would still like very much to hear from you. We share so much. John and Family
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 12/30/2010   2:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great method avoiding chemicals John! Thanks for sharing.

What kind of soap are you using? Dish soap (mild) or something stronger?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3116 Posts
Posted 12/30/2010   9:59 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Puzzler!
A small amount of Dish Soap.
Just a few drops does so much.

Thankfully in Australia we only have water based gum to deal with.
It is nice, to still be able to take stamps off paper. John
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 12/30/2010   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks KGV.

I haven't tried to soak any modern Australia self-adhesives off paper yet myself.

Are they similar to Canada self-adhesive stamps in gum makeup in that there is a water-activated layer between the gum and the stamp Or are they all gum?

Canada stamps soak in lukewarm water (perhaps a bit of soap would help?) (mostly) in 15 minutes I think. There are some harder ones and I think with this modern type of glue it is designed to become more one with the objects adhered to over time, so that a stamp on paper for years takes longer to soak off than a stamp just applied recently.

I have worldwide kiloware here but haven't delved into it too deply yet. Not recent but mostly older (1990-2005) I think. Recent stuff is so expensive. It makes me droll (ha) but it is easy to restrain myself at the prices.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3116 Posts
Posted 12/31/2010   12:30 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are they similar to Canada self-adhesive stamps in gum makeup in that there is a water-activated layer between the gum and the stamp Or are they all gum?

I really do not know for sure Puzzler but that is the way I have looked at it.
The first soak to me seems to be dealing with the gum in between the stamp and the self adhesive gum. It just will not work if the stamps on paper are not totally dried out from the first soak.

One of the other directions I went in to get these stamps off paper was to freeze them. It does work but damaging the stamp is very easy to do when the stamps are frozen. John
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3116 Posts
Posted 02/19/2011   01:04 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The next step is to make a packet for the market place. Plastic containers have the bundleware for 500 different Australia Decimal stamp packets.

The best way we found to make the packets was in plastic containers. Makes it all neat and stops the summer wind from blowing the stamps about.

This is the way we store and mail our packets.

A packet of stamps spread out for an image to list the stamps into the market place.

Happy stamping John and Family.
Learn More...
United States
4332 Posts
Posted 02/19/2011   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John:

Isn't there something masochistic about taking a huge pile of stamps, organizing them into little identical piles, and then shuffling them all up again ???

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
18066 Posts
Posted 02/19/2011   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't we all shuffle stamps

After mounting, into which goes a lot of
sorting and shuffling, sundries get placed into the
duplicates file, all messed up again.

We should have a world wide "circuit sheet" service,
we place all our duplicates (under $1) on sheets and
mail them around, take the stamps you want free,
replace them with your own duplicates and mail 'em
on to the next fella/gal.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3527 Posts
Posted 02/19/2011   10:12 am  Show Profile Check jhlovell's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jhlovell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm all for it - Rod how do we get it started. John and family - absolutely mind boggling story. And John would would send me all the stamps, so I can put them under my mattress. WOW!
Edited by jhlovell - 02/19/2011 12:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2277 Posts
Posted 02/19/2011   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nitrolures to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure how I missed this thread but what an amazing job. Your very fortunate to have family that gets involved . I have 3 of my grandkids interested but if I had them help they'd be thrown in the air and jumped on like a pile of leaves. ( the stamps not the kids)
I'm looking at 5lbs on paper and not sure if I want to take that on or not . For some reason I feel the on paper has at least had less eyes going through it.
I still have that KGV medallion here for ya just send me the envelope. I think you should wear it as you over see the family workings!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3116 Posts
Posted 03/23/2011   11:53 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is now 8 weeks ago that we started to sell our first stamp packets.

eBay was a real challenge to post a halfway decent listing. We are now listing in .com, .com au, .co uk and all are different in the way they want you to list. The cost to list changes also .co uk is the most expensive by far, .com is the cheapest by a long way, .com au is in the middle. At the minute .com uk is not charging us for the gallery picture which basically halves the listing cost on the cheaper offers. .co uk is our weakest link and the cost of listing will most probably stop us listing with them.

In 8 weeks we have sold 15 listings and at the minute we are listing 15 lots per week. A couple of days ago we finally received an eBay sellers rating.

For my wife it is great stuff for her after sorting 50kgs of stamps off paper and learning the ways of eBay to see her account grow a little from the sale of the stamps. Now my wife can use this money to help our 2 daughters. One with song and music and the other in the mission field. This is what started this amazing journey. All working towards the same goal and all the little bits have added up to something solid that we can do to help our 2 daughters.
Always Happy Stamping! John and Family.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
18066 Posts
Posted 03/24/2011   01:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for keeping us up to date John,
fascinating stuff.
Please keep posting on how you perceive selling
because this is new and very interesting to me.

I have just hired a dummies book on eBay
for a read.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3116 Posts
Posted 04/21/2011   01:55 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Please keep posting on how you perceive selling
because this is new and very interesting to me.

Rod I have not forgotten and am still trying to get eBay listing right.

But for you to start I would recommend the free listing offer for 99c starting prices. You get 15 free ones per month. We have started listing 5 of these per week to help with our oldest daughter.

It is easy to come up with the stamps for 99c listing. We put up 150 KGV 1d greens all have faults. It was listed for 7 days, on day 5 the listing went from 99c to $10.50. Another 99c one listed at the same time has a bid of 99c for 150 world condition varies, I do not think this one will go up much more.

Your image knowledge will get you over the line. If you can get an image up on SCF you should be able to list your image on eBay.

Title and description is the other part to get together.
If you are selling Australia stamps it must be your 1st word in the title. Australian when you search it has 300 choices, when you search Australia you get 3,000 choices. So Australia wins!

Other title words like international post stamps does not bring up anything but high values does. Only 55 characters to use here so it takes a bit to get the swing of it but it works.

The description is where you can have a more fuller description of what you are selling.

With the free 99c listing we are using .com.au because of the high Aust dollar.All our listings now are with .com. The cost of item A is 70c to list on .com but costs $1.20 on .com.au. for the same service.

When we search Australia stamps on .com.au all the .com listing come up as well. 95% of our .com listings are sold to Australian's.

Have a go Rod! All the best to you. Always Happy Stamping. John
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3116 Posts
Posted 04/21/2011   02:19 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Extra Bit!

Just below the image listing spot there is a spot called gallery.
This is a must to have with your listing as when people search they find your title and gallery image. If you do not have it nobodies going to click on to an empty spot. And that part has been free as well with the 99c listing.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
18066 Posts
Posted 04/21/2011   03:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cheers,
mixed results then.
You should get 10c each for your world, surely,
you will probably get that on SCF.

159 sideface greens is OK, perhaps a little low
I think you would get a little more perhaps
at a WA local auction.
I suppose depending on the pmks.

Going by the perceived state of the US economy
and possibly losing their triple A rating,
seems everyone over there is broke. :(

Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Expect fewer stamps on your mail
  About Stamp memories
  United Nations 1948-1973
  Scott catalog 2018 edition to be 12 volumes
  Queen Victoria Penny Red Identification
  gernany - 1922 -1923 3000 Mk - blackish brown ??
  Need one more of these.
  Help with a US Internal revenue, series of 1875 - private?
  Advice for selling an Inherited collection on Ebay
  Print your own pages (like Steiner) but in SG format?
  1870 GB #58 where is the plate number?
  Set of 1932 Sydney Harbour Bridge stamps
  Spain - 75th Anniversary - Revenue?
  Request to Post Avatar
  Rare unique combination of cracked plates
  October 1862 Revenue Canx - Let's see them!
  Latvia New Year Postcards--Humorous? Quirky?
  Double and Triple Transfers
  Need advice on how to start a collection the 'right way'
  Want Lists Online? Etc...
  Cape of Good Hope : Revenues.
  Buying USA Discount Postage Stamps
  Need help identifying these stamps
  200 Reís Brazilian stamp. Any info on this?
  Medallion One Cent Blue?

Let's see your most recently purchased stamps
  Double and Triple Transfers
  Scott catalog 2018 edition to be 12 volumes
  Advice for selling an Inherited collection on Ebay
  PMGS Stamp Album Page Generator for Scribus v1.2
  What FISH stamps do you have???
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  1870 GB #58 where is the plate number?
  Need help identifying these stamps
  APS selling membership lists?
  Sailboats
  Mystic stamp's inventory of current US used stamps
  Expect fewer stamps on your mail
  About Stamp memories
  Stamps on owls
  ROUND Stamps!
  Glass and Art
  Has anyone bought stamp mixes from Nordfrim?
  Cover Calendar for month and day -PICS
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Print your own pages (like Steiner) but in SG format?
  Which catalogue is correct..???
  Auction Purchase Destroyed in Mail, Is Anyone Liable?
  Stamp Smarter March Contest
  A few Album Binder Reviews -

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05