Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

We Close our Eyes & Still See Stamps.  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3065 Posts
Posted 04/06/2012   08:34 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finally got up to the elbows in Australian recent letter rate stamps 60c & 55c decimal self adhesives. Managed to soak heaps today. Have really got it together when it comes to getting these stamps off paper and we have become very quickly at it and with nearly no damage. Over the next couple of days we should have good numbers in most set of this era.

The real test is the "corrugated iron sheds" sets of 5 x 55c stamps.
They are made of the thinnest paper. It will be these stamps turn for a soaking tomorrow. Hope they come off paper as easily as the sets have done so far.

I like to soak! The humidity has gone so it is mass soaking season. It will last now till October.

I do not have to sort any stamps as the girls have been doing that. It is a large burden that I miss out on. Good on them!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by KGV Collector - 04/06/2012 08:35 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3065 Posts
Posted 04/07/2012   07:39 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The real test is the "corrugated iron sheds" sets of 5 x 55c stamps.
They are made of the thinnest paper. It will be these stamps turn for a soaking tomorrow. Hope they come off paper as easily as the sets have done so far.

It takes me 10 X the amount of time to take a 55c era stamps off paper compared to the 60c era stamps.

Edited by KGV Collector - 04/07/2012 07:40 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3065 Posts
Posted 04/09/2012   03:06 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Final count for taking 55c & 60c self adhesive stamps off paper and packed into sets for this weekend excluding Resurrection Sunday is just over 5,000 stamps.

And a good nights sleep for me tonight! That was a big weekend!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1354 Posts
Posted 04/09/2012   03:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampgal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phew! Good Job, KGV!

Enjoy a rest before you get stuck back in!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3065 Posts
Posted 04/10/2012   04:17 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks stampgal.

Out of the soaking our youngest adult daughter listed approx 30 x 55c & 60c lots last night. That was Easter Monday night.

Her first listings were completed extremely quickly and only had to shown twice how to list and she had the idea of it all.

It took me a long time to catch on to listing.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3065 Posts
Posted 04/15/2013   06:06 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now my adult daughter does as much scanning for me as I need which is huge! It was to much pressure to get her to list because of of making a mistake and it is the same with my wife.

My wife and I in Jan totally over fill to stocks with recent stamps one with 55c & the other 60c stamps.

My wife also helps big time with stamp prep for scanning.

How things have changed since starting this thread.
Valued Member
India
6 Posts
Posted 05/11/2013   08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add soumik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nice collection!!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3065 Posts
Posted 10/28/2013   8:56 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This year for kiloware it has changed. There is very little time for soaking accept for the slow selling time on eBay from January to mid February.

Got the best lot of Australian kiloware I have ever got.

Will be sorting for the next 2 weeks and my wife will sort them into sets. It is nice to be ready to soak before soaking time.

Am getting a a great keeper rate.
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 10/29/2013   04:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good news. Do you find it is good to soak a few now and then or to have a dedicated time to concentrate on soaking activities?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3065 Posts
Posted 10/29/2013   08:27 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Puzzler.

I find I am soaking a few 100 stamps per week like clockwork.

But the slow selling time of Jan & Feb is the best time wise to soak the many 1000's of current set we need for now and the future.

Thanks for asking.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3065 Posts
Posted 11/23/2013   10:24 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This years kiloware is sorted.

Went through about 16kg of very recent Australia and got a great keeper rate.

My sorting speed is really good over the years. As little movement as possible is where I am at.

I rest my arms on my legs and my hands are positioned over the middle of the large reject plastic box. One side has a smaller plastic box for 60c letter rate stamps and the other side has a box for 55c letter rate stamps. The plastic box at my feet is for 50c stamps.

After sorting 16kg I had chaffed the underside of my right forearm as it was resting on my leg. The right hand flicks the stamps like playing cards and caused the movement to wear away the skin.

Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 11/24/2013   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1Kg = 1000 grams x (4 stamps per garm) = 4,000 stamps x 16Kg = 64,000 stamps plus extras so rounded off at 65,000 stamps and arms movements.

Your arms must be very strong and your brain numb!
Do you have the radio going or some sort of thing?
Good to have good light and good eyes for that work.

Has anyone there thought of showing them, set by set, on-line here?

Australia 2010 Fishes of the Reef,
5c mark-up and 60c letter rate stamps. (not sure of perfs yet.)
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3065 Posts
Posted 11/26/2013   02:44 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These days I am not that strong anymore Puzzler!

It took me 8 days of sorting and I would do it when I could no longer stand while doing other stamp work because of chronic back pain. Yes I get a lot of pain and it is a very serious event but great for sorting stamps.

I log roll out of bed in the morning straight into stamping and then log roll back into bed when I have finished stamping for the day.

Yep! 6 days a week stamping all my waking hours. I hate not doing anything. It is like a sickness.....no it is a sickness. I just get so bored when I am doing nothing and my pain levels go......!

From bricks, stone, plants and oyster farming too stamping full on with eBay. What a change and it was very difficult to do!

It has been a long year of listing approx 3,500 lots per month. I am tired and need a rest but a rest means to take stamps off paper and organize all the stamps for easy as listing.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3065 Posts
Posted 11/26/2013   06:23 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Out of 16kg of kiloware on paper we have about 5kg of keepers.

We count about 5,000 stamps on close clipped paper to the kg.

So we have 25,000 stamps to take off paper. With 4 drying books and extra blotting paper we can use the 4 drying books each day.

We soak about 1,000 stamps per day and have 6 weeks to get it all together before the selling season is back into full swing again.

Over the past year we also have collected a bit over 1kg of international post stamps that we will take off paper as well. We have another 1.5kg of this sort of kiloware but it is made up of about 25 of the most common of these type of stamps and there is no reason to take them off paper.

In Australia these stamps are hard to get and hold a very good price even the most common of them. It cost about $1,000 per kg or 5,000 stamps. Which is 20c per stamp that sells at an average of $3 per stamp. With 95% of these stamps will float off paper it makes for easy soaking. The self adhesive stamps are worth more again as very few are used to date but I can see that this trend will change.

So all up we have 6kg of stamps to take off paper. Happy Days!
Valued Member
173 Posts
Posted 11/26/2013   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JR1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John this is a fascinating story. You need to get someone with social media savvy to get your story out there. Just look at the appreciation you are getting here, and this is from people who already know about this stuff. You need to get this content on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, a blog, and get it going viral. It's guys like you who are doing cool things and like to share with others that our hobby needs to survive and thrive. Sharing this on these forums is great, but you - and the rest of the world - are missing out!
Page: of 14  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Different shade of color Scott# 1526
  Interesting US on Mexico Cancel
  I went off and I did it (Scott International)
  information about this error iran stamp ?
  This looks like a strip of 3 26A, but need expert opinion
  When Buying, How Important Are Catalog(ue) Numbers To You In Listings?
  DWI scott 11 normal? arabesque
  Some new revenue document acquisitions
  Italy - stampless letters
  Germany WWII POW covers
  Why web developers lose their hair...Reward to anyone who solves this
  Fluorescent Paper, How to Tell?
  Sunlike kill cancell.
  German postal stationery items ID help needed
  African colonial forerunners
  Greetings from German East Africa
  Fables de la Fontaine
  France Colony, please help!
  Scotts catalog. Have a few questions.
  Flyspecking Scott 650
  edwardv111 stamps moroccan agencies
  Mystery Numeral Stamp
  Amazing Strip of 9 Type IV Scott #9 Franklin on cover
  Mystery Princely States Stamp
  Album Pages for Modern Used Stamps

I went off and I did it (Scott International)
  Different shade of color Scott# 1526
  National Stamp Exhibition NYC Feb 10, 1934 Cover Letter
  Amazing Strip of 9 Type IV Scott #9 Franklin on cover
  GB fancy cancel on 137?
  When Buying, How Important Are Catalog(ue) Numbers To You In Listings?
  Breaking Up U.S. Plate Blocks to Get a Nice Single
  Where did you get the most stamps from last year?
  North Carolina Cleaning Tax
  Interesting US on Mexico Cancel
  Latin Species Names For Plants & Animals
  Fluorescent Paper, How to Tell?
  Not receiving subscription emails
  FIREWORKS on stamps, postmarks, postcards, etc.
  Any classic Sweden stamps atestators around?
  danish classics, show them to me.
  Opinions on Palo albums?
  Cogwheels
  Flyspecking Scott 650
  France Colony, please help!
  Why web developers lose their hair...Reward to anyone who solves this
  Is it possible that this C15 is a fake?
  Doves as Symbols of Peace
  Help on Poland Stamps
  information about this error iran stamp ?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.58 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05