Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaning Out the Attic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
898 Posts
Posted 04/19/2017   11:29 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
I am getting to the point in life of needing to clean up my mess. I have an attic full of society journals and general stamp publications going back years. My thinking is to offer them free in return for help with postage. I have a lot of stuff but for now will detail a couple items.

1. Mexicana magazine, journal of the MEPSI (Mexico Philately). I have a large number of these magazines going back to the early 1980's. Not a full run since but close. This weighs a ton. Am open to shipping part or all, postage on the whole lot will be enormous. I'd guess the whole thing weighs fifty pounds.

2. Japanese Philately. Perhaps fifty or so issues ranging from the early 80's to recently. Same deal, offering for postage.

I may be listing other stuff shortly. If any interest you can post on here or send me a private message.
Send note to Staff
Edited by Stamps1962 - 04/19/2017 11:30 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1305 Posts
Posted 04/19/2017   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another thought, both magazine and journal may be interested for the supply of the back issues.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2897 Posts
Posted 04/19/2017   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If either society maintains a forum, howzabout offering them to the members?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
898 Posts
Posted 04/21/2017   09:58 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The ISJP only offers for sale CD's to download back issues of their publication. The MEPSI has no forum, there is a related group 'Meximail' not officially connected to them. I have not been able to access that forum for some time. So, no dice on that, it's a good idea.

Something similar happened a couple years back, I had a large box full of 'Israel Philatelist' magazines that I could not seem to interest anyone in. Those wound up at my curb. My experience is typical, a lot of periodicals are being lost forever to philately because postage rates are so high and more to the point, the same information is available digitally.

I knew I probably wouldn't be getting any takers here but felt I had to try. I know there is someone out there who'd love these. It's frustrating.

Edited by Stamps1962 - 04/21/2017 09:59 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
18364 Posts
Posted Yesterday   01:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Something similar happened a couple years back, I had a large box full of 'Israel Philatelist' magazines that I could not seem to interest anyone in.

Please don't curb your stuff.
I would take the lot, if I could afford it.

How about donating to your local Stamp Club?

They WILL go, eventually, to someone who shall really appreciate your patience.

I am just importing 2Kg of used Mounts from Canada,
that was in excess of $50 if I recall
Edited by rod222 - Yesterday 01:53 am
Learn More...
3034 Posts
Posted Yesterday   06:28 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am a member of the Philatelic Librarians Roundtable group (run by Tara Murray at APRL). They are an active group and often share 'extra' philatelic books and magazines. They use a group email to notify each other of the occasional extra copies available to the other libraries across the world. They typical only ask that the receiving library pay the shipping costs.

If you would like, I can send an email to the members asking if there is any interest. Or, you can contact Tara at APRL yourself and inquire directly with her.
Don
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
Posted Yesterday   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For what it is worth, both the Mexicana Journal and the Israel Philatelist have been digitized by their respective societies and are available on-line or DVD to members. This has reduced the need for physical copies of either journal (I am a member of both groups). The primary disadvantage of these digital editions is that in some instances, the quality of the scanned publication is not a sharp as the original.

I second the suggestion to donate them to a local philatelic organization if there is one in your area, or the staff of a philatelic show committee if you have a show. Their best use will be to "tease" new collectors into considering those countries as a collecting area.

The MexiMail Forum, at www.meximail.org is active but not nearly so much so at this SCF. I monitor it regularly, post occasionally, and you "might" find someone who would be interested in the Mexicana Journal issues there. I've not encountered any problem with accessing it or logging on, but if you have trouble, contact me via this thread or directly and I'll see if I can help.

I have one room filled with philatelic journals I can't bear to part with, even though I have many in digital format as well. I still like the feel of paper!

At some point the future, my son will likely wish I had been more proactive with disposing of these while I was still alive and kicking!

Mike
Edited by mml1942 - Yesterday 10:18 am
   Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Sometimes you actually do want to remove revenue stamps from a document/piece.
  Reverse print on reverse!
  Scott National Album Organization
  I'm curious about 3 issues
  US 1800's page real of fake page of stamps - where they Photoshopped in?
  Is anyone familiar with a "Beli" brand of stockbook?
  What's the Difference between B105 & B90? Germany Brown Ribbon Horse Race 1936
  Rare imperforate medicine stamp discovery! (not)
  What do the color crayon markings on covers mean ?
  Covers with multiple canceled stamps related to a single theme...
  The Stamps of Colombia : On Album Pages.
  Aland Islands (Finland) : Her Stamps.
  1899 Netherland Stamp-02 C.-Brown Figure-Imperforate variety???
  Wondering if these stamps are Yugoslavia Revenues?
  New to forum- question about 100 coil no die cut forever flags
  Australian Perfins and Perfin Varieties
  denmark 1895-1904 either a sc #52 or #52b cannot find a watermark? (perf 13)
  What do you call these pages you see at stamp shows??
  Scott 515 - Dare you to figure out this oddity.
  Scott Classic Specialized Catalog Help - French Oceania 37 Never Hinged
  Lancopex Stamp Show in Lancaster, PA April 28 & 29
  TV show episode of The Adventures of the Falcon based upon stamps
  Color Changeling of the week
  king george suposely to bee a suprime lord!whitsh is awsome!but here is just a 1 dollar
  Slovakia WWII stamps - Errors

BRIDGES,BRIDGES,BRIDGES! on stamps
  Scott National Album Organization
  denmark 1895-1904 either a sc #52 or #52b cannot find a watermark? (perf 13)
  Textile and weaving of cloth
  Sometimes you actually do want to remove revenue stamps from a document/piece.
  I'm curious about 3 issues
  Have a Heart: - Not just on Valentine's Day
  Reverse print on reverse!
  Any CANDY stamps out there???
  Nobel Prizes and Laureates
  New to forum- question about 100 coil no die cut forever flags
  Getting to identify Laid Paper on Russia stamps !
  Omnibus sets in General - Scott vs Stanley Gibbons
  Korea : Revenues : 1950-1960 Barefoot..
  Fdc of 8 cent Postal workers series from 1973
  Australian Perfins and Perfin Varieties
  Double and Triple Transfers
  I need a new printer.
  Scott catalog 2018 edition to be 12 volumes
  I've finally joined the album owning community
  Mounting Stamps
  Let's see your most recently purchased stamps
  What Happened with Schaubek??
  Schaubek Hingeless Pages and Binders
  Covers with multiple canceled stamps related to a single theme...

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05