Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Introducing others to our hobby  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
3050 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   06:08 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
In thinking about ways that we might be able to capture new, younger (<60 year old) people I struggled to think of ways to introduce non-collectors to our hobby. Perhaps what is needed are ways in which we present stamps without it coming across as an old, fuddy-duddy hobby… something a bit more edgy, more contemporary, something that might appeal to their social values. So I took a stab at doing a music video kind of thing and here is the preliminary effort. Feedback welcome.
Don

PvclHEAYqhk
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
693 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice video.

One key aspect of these videos is the music selection. For example, I am not a fan of the specific music selected so I muted it but everyone is different so not easy to make anyone happy.

If the goal is to get onto social media (getting shared beyond stamp community) stream then one could have stamps but include a general populist message as what happens with all the memes.

An example could be a video about animals on stamps tied with an ASPCA theme (thinking Sarah McLachlan music).

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page

Al
Edited by angore - 03/19/2017 07:27 am
Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely done!

Like angore, I was not taken with the music. I would prefer more variety in background music, and given the war theme, I expected some martial music. The theme was also heavy on the victims of war. A few more "action" stamps such as the Germany,(Sc. B261?) and Russia, (Sc. 993?) items shown would help.

There were two major deficiencies that I noted:

1. There needs to be some narrative explaining the background of the stamps, or putting them in context. I suspect very few younger people have much historical knowledge of any wars prior to Korea, maybe even Vietnam. Perhaps more subdued music and a voice over for explanation?

2. There also should be some identifiers of the stamps to allow an interested party to seek out and buy them if attracted to them. As I watched the video, I asked myself where could I buy a specific stamp and how would I identify it to a potential seller? Showing the video was the only answer I could come up with.

Your approach has great potential. It, especially, seems an attractive way to promote topical collecting. I hope you will continue to develop this format.

Don
Edited by DonSellos - 03/19/2017 08:03 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
146 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great approach!
Just an added observation from a one on one win with my 9 year old granddaughter. Attention span of less than 20 minutes,overload of school work (maybe), video games, phone, pets, house chores, play with friends and on and on. I took the approach of a 15 min window. So what I do is send her, no real time schedule, surprises in the mail. They started with a few Steiner pages for stamps of bright colors and animals cartoons, Disney etc. I number the back of the stamp with corresponding numbers on the pages. She now calls me to let me know she has them done and wants to know when I can send more. The last mailing was a homemade Dominican Republic (the country name and her name on the binder back) album with appx. 100 pages and maybe 250 stamps. Is it a lot of work - yes,however, she excitedly took it to school for a show and tell type presentation. I did not plan on that but hopefully this approach will lead to a few more adds to the hobby.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but I simply turn off when I hear something described as "edgy."
Pillar Of The Community
834 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   10:54 am  Show Profile Check Classic Coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done, Don. I like the music, and I think it fits perfectly with the content!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
697 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

I like your approach. I sent it to my 19 year-old grandson for comment. I never could get him interested in stamps. He wants to work in social media marketing so I thought his reaction would be interesting.
The good thing is that it prompted him to go to stampsmarter.com.

Here are some of his comments: (with his permission and some minor editing)

Stamps aren't really my niche in any way so you aren't going to get the best reaction from me lol

Criticism:
I believe the song chosen was appropriate for the video
When watching a YouTube video you don't want any borders. Mostly all viewers want to see full screen video. Granted it is hard to do with stamps.

Taking photos and setting it to where it automatically zooms in and out and twirls etc is a little old school at this point.

The video would've looked cleaner if it had an intro. I can do 3D or 2D intro's and send it to you in any format.

I went to the stampsmarter website and the website is a little out dated. I didn't check the desktop version but the mobile version of the website is "eh"

Lol yeah it's going to be hard for whoever's YouTube channel to attract an audience.

I can make an intro if your friend wants one. It won't take me to long. (he made one)

And if he's wanting to grow his YouTube channel specifically.

Needs to post more often.

Needs to make his videos look like it wasn't made in 2008

Also I would suggest making a short video (preferably made by a professional) with YouTube name and website name in the video. Posting the video on a Facebook ad and targeting people with similar interests.
(Also I could be wrong but I'm assuming there are more male stamp collectors than females so I would target male audience in the fb add too)

That website you provided is way better but doesn't have a mobile version which is fine but still.

End comments .

Dan

I've seen it all, heard it all, done it all; I just can't remember it all.
APS Member 223433 Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Valued Member
Canada
20 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add madbaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very, very cool. And the cranberries were one of my favourite bands back when. So I'd listen to the song regardless.

As you said, this is a neat way of exposing non-collectors to the hobby. Emphasis on "non-collectors". People who aren't driven by the urge to collect things. The video exposes the viewer to the power of these works of art in a, well, powerful way.

While I know you asked for feedback, the 'kids of today' make response videos. So along with telling Don how to make the video more to your liking, make your own and post it up! :)

Mark
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rwoodennickel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work Don. I think you could make several of these videos with different themes, and attract new collectors. I also admire your efforts to engage a new generation of collectors. I share as much history and fascination of stamps as I can with my children in hopes they learn and share with others. If everyone could share video(s) on social media sites, the word will get out, so to speak.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
428 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   12:28 pm  Show Profile Check rlmstamps2012's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlmstamps2012 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Awesome video Don,

It had my attention from start to finish!

I also enjoyed the music you chose very much.
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   2:51 pm  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I liked it a lot!

Would be a great addition to stuffy old stamp exhibits at the stamp shows. Be a whole new category that would appeal to a different audience. Exhibits may be interesting to the person that did it, a few collectors and judges, but beyond that who cares? Even if they were digitalized I doubt many would take the time to look.

I like this, it appeals to a deeper conscience. I know as I watched the video I was forced to acknowledge the impact of war worldwide. Too often we only think of it from our own personal perspective.

Edited by kcaramat - 03/19/2017 2:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add davidray to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the advice from Danstamps54's 19-year-old grandson is perfect.
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I liked the music and the presentation very much. Riveting. I also think it would be a great thing to present at a stamp show. I felt it was moving and look forward to other like presentations from you.

Dave
Learn More...
3050 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   6:11 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to everyone for the feedback. I have added a second video, this one has a bit more uplifting content.

MYK34RyUpqY

Don
Valued Member
United States
341 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don - very nice. Thanks for your work on these. (and being in the target demographic at age 42 I agree that music is a good approach). Your stamp selections have been excellent.
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 03/19/2017   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ekbustad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One thing to keep in mine regarding these videos is that if you haven't arranged to get permission to use a song/recording in the video, the rights holder will have it quickly taken down.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Unknown stamp red no value
  Don't be deceived by this odd item
  1934 Stamp Club Menu overprint
  Selling $3 Columbian on Delcampe....
  Steiner pages for Canada
  Australian Penny Red (2)
  Getting Acquainted with Collecting
  New one and two cent acquisitions
  Founded collectable British one pennys
  Large and not so large margins in some stamps
  Canada Post new 150 anniversary series admail
  Austria Lombardy Venetia 2 Soldi Imperf???
  Old Swiss & Austrian & Hungarian Stamps
  RUSSIAN EMPIRE: 4k rose with curious background
  is it variety color left stamp I mean
  Help needed to identify Russian postmark
  Singapore SG85? equal Scott 57b?
  Gunshot wound freak? I cannot tell.
  Canada: New Star Trek Stamps
  After 15 years I lost the enjoyment
  NFR17 perf 12 - Anyone recognize this part-perfin?
  Unlisted paper variety of an official seal
  Help wpth Postage Due shades.
  2016 Chester on Track Event Cover - Massachusetts MA - CSX B&A Conrail Railroad
  VATICAN CITY Scott 110-121 Catholic Reformers Set 1946

Four to Eight Weeks for Mail from Canada- Huh??
  Steiner pages for Canada
  More philatelic butchery
  Have another beer stamp!
  Subway Nassau Binders Discontinued
  Flooding and Natural Disasters
  Getting Acquainted with Collecting
  New one and two cent acquisitions
  Don't be deceived by this odd item
  Unknown stamp red no value
  Canada 1182 Color Shift
  UPU - Universal Postal Union - Symbol Stamps
  ORCHIDS on Singapore stamps & world stamps
  Large and not so large margins in some stamps
  Odd shaped stamps. Be cool, don't be a square.
  France stamp - Unsure of year..?
  Austria Lombardy Venetia 2 Soldi Imperf???
  1934 Stamp Club Menu overprint
  Selling $3 Columbian on Delcampe....
  What FISH stamps do you have???
  Going through family collection
  Tasmania Cancellation
  Australian Penny Red (2)
  Australian Penny Red
  Founded collectable British one pennys

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.66 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05