Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are these saving stamps common back in the days  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Justinokay to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Where do these stamps come from???

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
673 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I recall, they were given out at gas stations, grocery stores, and maybe other places in the Southwest U.S. back in the 60s.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Blue chip stamps were given almost everywhere in Northern California in the 60's. S & H green stamps were also given out. But Blue Chip seemed to outnumber the S & H retailers about 3 to 1.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2888 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To learn more about thrift stamps, key ...

S&H green stamps site:www.stampcommunity.org

... into your browser address window.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1243 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
S&H green stamps were big in Chicago.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
675 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember Green Shield stamps very fondly from my youth (mid 1960s). I'm sure we furnished large parts of our house with these.
Valued Member
United States
361 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sperry & Hutchinson was a big acquisition target at one point. The only thing they produced were S&H stamps but they were sitting on a huge pile of cash because they collected from retailers but a lot of people never redeemed the stamps back for cash.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   4:52 pm  Show Profile Check smauggie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last I was there, there was a gas station back home that was still using savings stamps.

APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1445 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember going into a little tiny store with my mom to get things like a new toaster or blender with the stamps she saved. This was in Worcester, MA in the 70's (S & H)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
814 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the D.C. Area, it was Top Value stamps and S. & H. Green stamps. In western Maryland it was Plaid stamps.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 02/16/2017 10:09 pm
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Justinokay to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the truck load of information

Justin
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   11:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Justinokay to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also have green saving stamps but like littleriverphil said the green types seem not that common as the blue chip stamps
For all the stamp books I have only two green stamp books
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
187 Posts
Posted 02/17/2017   08:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ddreisba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it was regional. I never saw a Blue Chip, but S & H green stamps were all over the place. This was south east Penna. in the '40s and '50s. Seemed to disappear around 1955.

Don
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 02/17/2017   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, we had an S&H Green Stamps store in our south central PA town well into the 60s. I was born in 1960 and remember going there with my Mom, so it would have had to be at least 63/64.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 02/17/2017   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it was regional

Like I said, the blue chips stamps were everywhere! Gas stations, grocery stores, even shoe stores.
The last time I recall going to the blue chip redemption center in Santa Rosa, CA was around 1965. It was a good sized store, lot of merchandise on display and supplies in the back. I think it was an electric fry pan the wife wanted.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
849 Posts
Posted 02/17/2017   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rustyc, S&H stamps were everywhere throughout the country. Stores, including grocery stores, gas stations, everywhere!

As a related matter regarding promotional issues, First National food stores in New England encouraged people to save their grocery receipts. Once you reached $50.00, you would send the receipts to the Boston Red Sox and they would send you a grandstand ticket for free. This was post Ted and pre-Yaz 1967. Today, those tickets are called "Upper Box" and go for $80- each!

Jack Kelley
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Experience with Ott Light?
  Anyone specialize in WW airmail?
  Omega Speedmaster - Apollo-Soyuz
  Used stamps of 1033a silkote paper
  Inherited stamp collection
  Postage due cards to USA - rates ??
  Swift River, Yukon cancel missing date
  for US addresses only posted overseas, & what is the odd number LHS?
  Old Wells Fargo Local Stamp. Reprint or real?
  Can anyone help me identify this?
  Before and after Peroxide. No not my hair!
  Bids not meeting reserve price on eBay
  Pink? Vermillon? 1894 1c Postage Due "Paper Color" is completely through the entire stamp?
  precancel postage dues
  Is this Bermuda 28 with wmk.3?
  Forwarding agent or Business
  Scott #445 (A140) Coil Stamp Perf 10 Horizontally Washington 3c Violet? Is it Type I or Type III ?
  Providence Rhode Island 5 Cent Stamp With Red Strands. Authentic?
  2 Cent Red Washington Without corner triangles?
  Rules to Classify Topical Subjects
  New stamp error in Germany (christmas stamp)
  Guatemala stamp ?? Thanks for your help !
  ASDA Mid-West Postage Stamp Show
  New Online US Stamp Mount Finder Tool
  Regumming stamps - Why do it?

My Dam Stamps
  Experience with Ott Light?
  Anyone specialize in WW airmail?
  Latvian items of interest
  Scouting stamps from around the world
  for US addresses only posted overseas, & what is the odd number LHS?
  Bids not meeting reserve price on eBay
  Old Wells Fargo Local Stamp. Reprint or real?
  Postage due cards to USA - rates ??
  Forwarding agent or Business
  Famous Architects
  Inherited stamp collection
  Arches, Columns & Gates on Stamps
  Layout of De La Rue Sheets of 240 on early British Colonies
  New Edition of Michel Zeppelin Catalog Coming Soon
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  K.B. Spezial Zeppelin Post Catalog
  New Online US Stamp Mount Finder Tool
  Omega Speedmaster - Apollo-Soyuz
  Rules to Classify Topical Subjects
  Before and after Peroxide. No not my hair!
  Show me! MUSIC / Musicians/ Instruments
  New collector with first questions (sheet stamps, paper, plate varieties)
  Children on Stamps
  Used stamps of 1033a silkote paper

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05