Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

mm size for coil waste issues  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
41 Posts
Posted 01/09/2017   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add joker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi angore,

thank you again, yes I will definitely order this item :).

perhaps someone could just help me with my last question on this concerning not performated sides and coil waste (see last post)?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
Posted 01/09/2017   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
angora: per Scott Specialized...
631-42 is 19 1/4 x 22 1/2
604-06 is 19 1/4 x 22 1/2
597-03 is 19 3/4 x 22 1/4
596 is 19 1/4 x 22 1/2
594-95 is 19 3/4 x 22 1/4
581-91 is 19 1/4 x 22 1/2
578-79 is 19 3/4 x 22 1/4
575-77 is 19 1/4 x 22 1/4
551-73 is 19 x 22

That should answer your general question.
Valued Member
41 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   04:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add joker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hello caper and thank you very much! that helps me until I will have the Scott Specialized.

just what about the perforation thing with coil waste? I mean, coil waste here is mostly perf. 11, but what about stamps with 1 border from a stamp sheet? so all sides are perf 11 except one. Or can these sheet stamps just never be this coil waste? (Scott no. in your list)
Valued Member
41 Posts
Posted Yesterday   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add joker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again,

sorry for recalling this older topic, but my question for which I started this thread is still there and "following" me while creating my collection with Washington-Franklin these days.

First: I understood well that measuring is just one thing to consider and experts have many other. And I understood that I have to read and learn for years.

But my general question about measurement and coil waste: Are the sizes (like given here by Caper (Scott) quite fixed or is there a range? I mean if the sizes are given in steps of 0.25mm I would normally suppose that they are very fixed.

Example: In my case I have here a stamp that COULD be a 596, as it is perf 11 and has a bigger size than flat (a bit more than 19mm and a bit more than 22mm). But it's not these famous 19,25mm x 22,5mm, but perhaps 19,1mm x 22,3mm. Is there a rule of thumb from experts what you would do in my case?

option a) be sure that it's flat, so don't think about 596 because it's just not the size
option b) be unsure and consider if it could be any rotary (known or unknown)

So I just want to know if the sizes are pretty fixed or if any flat could also be larger or any rotary could also be smaller....

(by the way: I now own a Precision US Specialty Perforation MultiGauge, but the "tool" for rotary vs flat is just wrong there, the measuring box is too small, so 20mm are 19,8mm, but the ruler on the gauge is correct)
Edited by joker - Yesterday 2:01 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
421 Posts
Posted Yesterday   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there usb microscope that can measure to at least a tenth of mm. I realize it probably needs a platform to move the object.

Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1112 Posts
Posted Yesterday   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there usb microscope that can measure to at least a tenth of mm. I realize it probably needs a platform to move the object.

I use Irfanview 32 bit to edit my scans, and it will measure an original scan accurately in pixels, inch to .000, degree to .000 and mm to .000. more accurately than I can with a magnifying glass and clear metric ruler.

http://www.irfanview.com/
Edited by littleriverphil - Yesterday 4:25 pm
Learn More...
2617 Posts
Posted Yesterday   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
littelriverphil,
The accuracy of the software which manipulates your images is not as critical as the accuracy of the hardware (scanner) you are using. Even the area in the platen (scanner glass) in which you scan can effect the accuracy of any measurement which might be taken. This is because consumer scanners use a single CCD (camera) and in front of it is a lens (think fisheye). So stamps positioned away from the CCD/lens will not be as dimensionally accurate as those which are positioned directly in front of it.
Don
Valued Member
41 Posts
Posted Yesterday   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add joker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,
yes I have a good measurement :) but this is not my point here. The 19.1 mm can also be 19.08 mm or 19.17 mm ... it was just an example that a stamp is just a bit larger than 19 mm but smaller then 19,25 mm, just between, but not too close to 19 and not too close to 19,25 :-). Also without microscope you can see with a loupe that the stamp lies between there. So what I hope to hear, of course, is that every stamp that is "obviously a little bit larger" than the flat size can probably rotary, like the 596 (which is an example, but I have this case here). I measured the mm size where I got this little difference - when I take my 499 flat template, it's just distinctly larger.

But as there are these very exact sizes with 0.25 mm steps, e.g. in the Scott, for the rotary coil waste, then these sizes seem to be quite fixed, I would suppose as a beginner. That's the core of my question here, if the flat size is quite fixed or the rotary or both or none (due to the fabrication technique).

(... and you can see the wrong rotary / flat box on the MultiGauge with normal eye and a ruler.)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
680 Posts
Posted Yesterday   8:39 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Because of paper shrinkage some variation in stamp design size can be expected across the paper grain. The objective is to separate stamps into groups: tall or wide rotary press, flat plate sheet stamps and flat plate booklet pane stamps. The difference in size id large enough that comparison of stamp design size is sufficient. When the stamps are separated into piles by printing type, there will not be any stamps "in between". In any case, rotary press printings differ in appearance from flat plate printings. With experience it is possible to separate the stamps by color, appearance and aspect ratio without resorting to fine scale measurements.

In any case, the measurements given by the Scott catalog are not precise enough to be useful. To gain experience, compare stamps with each other starting with a known example. Insisting on using a crude millimeter ruler is simply not effective. In cases where precise measurements need to be made under magnification, a Peak Loupe with a reticule marked to the nearest tenth of a millimeter is superior to any ruler. I use a 10 power Peak loupe to validate Kans. and Nebr. overprint width. The field of view is not quite wide enough to measure the width or height of a stamp design. But, then again, identifying the stamp is the objective. Measuring the design size is not.
Edited by cfrphoto - Yesterday 8:41 pm
Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
Posted Yesterday   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Each method mentioned above to measure a stamp is valid. The biggest problem for many is eyesight limitations. Having done some fabrication work in my past life where 1/100th or 1/100th of an inch was significant I now use for stamp measurements two metal straight edges with a little heft(one for each opposing side) and a micrometer under a lighted magnifier on a stand. Any finer measurement would be unnecessary.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Hungary Charity Overprint from WWI
  I discovered I was blocked from bidding
  R24c your thoughts please
  Some postage stamps I think it's Variety.
  Belgium King Albert I 1915-1920 15c color Vareity..؟؟؟
  Spain , Scott 277 color Vareity..؟؟؟
  value of a couple of stamps
  a question about 1kr deutsches reich stamp
  Ebay buyer not paying - what is process?
  Help with SAAR Scott # 6 and 14
  Scott 6 -Nova Scotia - Another plate scratch..?
  Soviet Union 1958 Civil Aviation Error stamp
  Scott 11 Nova Scotia - possible variety..?
  eBay Advice: Ditch the Unique, List Commodities
  Is There a Best Los Angeles Dealer to Sell Inherited Stamp Collection for Fairest Price?
  "Back to fix title" message
  Plz help identify stamps and varients.
  Stamp Smarter February Contest - Win a Tablet!
  The Stamps of Lithuania.
  1 cent Franklin Green Surcharged 1 cents Stamped Envelop Question
  Penalty for Private Use Cover with MisPlaced Notice
  Nyassa reprint identification
  1959 Postage Due series different colors
  Philippines Japanese occupation postage due NJ1
  This is so far back in the book it's not listed

Some postage stamps I think it's Variety.
  BRIDGES,BRIDGES,BRIDGES! on stamps
  Belgium King Albert I 1915-1920 15c color Vareity..؟؟؟
  R24c your thoughts please
  danish classics, show them to me.
  Need Help Identifying Japanese Postmark On Zeppelin Postcard
  DWI scott 11 normal? arabesque
  Finland 40 penni 1866 - need help - forgery ?
  1959 Postage Due series different colors
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Philippines Japanese occupation postage due NJ1
  Latvia Sc. 1 - Remove hinges
  Roman States Scott #15 (A15) 10 cent Black,Vermilon,Imperf 1867
  Hungary Charity Overprint from WWI
  Mathematics on stamps
  Frogs and Toads on Stamps,Covers and Postmarks.
  what are perfins. found a page of them
  Old germany stamps , any value?
  Help with Sweden stamp.
  a question about 1kr deutsches reich stamp
  Honduras Comayagua Issues
  GB #16 color identification?
  Sierra Leone Forgeries
  Philosophical guidance on plate flaws
  New Canadian "Kiosk" Stamps

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.56 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05