Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Album (or Something Similar) for FDC's?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
122 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add paul78703 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
I am planning to purchase, soon, 5-20 first day covers, possibly more over time, and I am soliciting suggestions for how to store and display them. Are there any particular items that you suggest? FDC albums? Brands? Stock sheets? Will FDC's fit in stock sheets? How do you store your FDC's?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   9:46 pm  Show Profile Check ecmorgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ecmorgan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use a combination. I have, I think, four different first day cover albums from different vendors. They are OK. However the vast majority of my covers are kept in Vario pages - the pages with 2 sleeves - and those pages are kept in the Vario grande binders.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page

Member American Philatelic Society, American Topical Association, Haiti Philatelic Society, Scouts on Stamps Society International, Nashville Philatelic Society.
Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   11:42 pm  Show Profile Check adcaplan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add adcaplan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use SuperSafe FDC cover albums, and am real happy with them. They used to be inexpensive ($15 each), but I was shocked at the prices last time I tried to find one. You can often fin used ones reasonably priced.
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
Posted 01/06/2017   02:34 am  Show Profile Check pk-short's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pk-short to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If budget is an issue, or if your son is the creative type you can use common materials found at any office supply store. I have a cover collection on simple pages I print out onto acid-free paper then I mount the covers onto the page with photo corners found also easily available. You need a heavy weight paper - 28lb or 65lb cover stock I would recommend - and a binder along with the photo corners and you have a stamp album!
Valued Member
100 Posts
Posted 01/29/2017   02:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Davo sells a nice larger FDC cover binder system with three cover slots on each side of the page. It comes with a nice dust cover. The pages are attached to the binding, so it's not loose-leaf which is appealing since it's more like a book. You have to order it from Davo's website, but it's in English and the whole process is painless. About $40 shipped from Europe.

The Vario Grande 3-ring binder described above takes a larger sized page which allows for the same three cover slots as the Davo album's pages. It's a very good system, but I decided not to use it because the overall weight of the heavy binder with its rings, with the heavy plastic pages, plus the covers is just too much to be comfortable. It's like lifting an encyclopedia or a brick. Binder, dust cover and pages is going to cost maybe $50 give or take.

Scott publishes a smaller 3-ring binder for FDC's as do a number of other companies.

Subway Stamp Shop has their own FDC binders which you may want to look at. Probably others, too.

The one I liked best is the Showgard. While not perfect, it's simple, lightweight, and works well. It has two posts which (unfortunately) go through the binding like on older two-post albums. These posts can get in the way and snag on the next album as you put binders on the shelf, and it's annoying to have to unscrew the posts (really screws) to add or remove pages.

But, once the pages are mounted in the album, these are great albums. They only take two covers on each side of the page, and I find easier to look at four covers than the six in some of the other albums which was a kind of overkill. The clear plastic slots or pouches are much lighter weight in the Showgard which makes the album much less heavy. It's easy to hold it in your hand and flip through it very comfortably -- unlike the other albums which are so heavy it's unpleasant (and, no, I'm not a weakling!).

The cost is about $30.

Note that, although they advertise that you get 25 two-sided pages which should hold 100 covers (25 x 2 sides on each page is 50 sides x 2 covers per side = 100), you cannot possibly get 100 covers in this album. The covers create a lot of thickness which makes closing the album harder and harder as you add more. By the time you've added about 70-80 covers, the album is bulging. So I remove about four pages from each album just to keep it thin enough to close comfortably. Still, 80 covers per binder is just fine with me. On balance, it's the best FDC album, in my opinion.
Edited by DrewM - 01/29/2017 02:35 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Canada Post new 150 anniversary series admail
  Austria Lombardy Venetia 2 Soldi Imperf???
  Old Swiss & Austrian & Hungarian Stamps
  RUSSIAN EMPIRE: 4k rose with curious background
  is it variety color left stamp I mean
  Help needed to identify Russian postmark
  Singapore SG85? equal Scott 57b?
  Gunshot wound freak? I cannot tell.
  Canada: New Star Trek Stamps
  After 15 years I lost the enjoyment
  NFR17 perf 12 - Anyone recognize this part-perfin?
  Unlisted paper variety of an official seal
  Help wpth Postage Due shades.
  2016 Chester on Track Event Cover - Massachusetts MA - CSX B&A Conrail Railroad
  VATICAN CITY Scott 110-121 Catholic Reformers Set 1946
  German Occupation set- What am I Missing?
  Subway Stamp Shop -- Website and Wished-for Products
  Hodge Podge of stamps I need help identifying
  1875-88 canada registration stamp F1 (i cannot determine color)? org,vermilion or rose carmine?
  Scott # 35 major re-entry (Sc 35XX) ?
  What is an "Internal Tear"??
  What's not to like about gators?
  The Stamps of Kyrgyzstan.
  How often do you gaze upon?
  Australian Penny Red

RUSSIAN EMPIRE: 4k rose with curious background
  After 15 years I lost the enjoyment
  Canada Post new 150 anniversary series admail
  Austria Lombardy Venetia 2 Soldi Imperf???
  Old Swiss & Austrian & Hungarian Stamps
  Lucky finds!
  Australian Penny Red
  France stamp - Unsure of year..?
  Scanner Problems
  German Occupation set- What am I Missing?
  BRIDGES,BRIDGES,BRIDGES! on stamps
  Canada: New Star Trek Stamps
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  is it variety color left stamp I mean
  Help needed to identify Russian postmark
  Unlisted paper variety of an official seal
  More philatelic butchery
  Tasmania Cancellation
  Singapore SG85? equal Scott 57b?
  Gunshot wound freak? I cannot tell.
  Stamp Smarter April Contest
  Paper Thickness for reference
  Whats in your Library?
  Food on Stamps!

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05