Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ireland: Programme 2017  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Ireland
56 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Ireland has published its programme for 2017.
It will include a new definitive series (Ireland in 100 objects). The first phase of the series intended to last five or six years will be 8 Stamps on a Roll (release date 12th January). Booklet and Coil stamps will also be issued.
As always there is a "Love and Marriage" stamp, a St Patricks Day stamp and Christmas stamps.
There will be a single stamp to honour Thomas F Meagher (150th Anniversary of his Death). I wonder if this will be a joint issue with USA....Meagher was sentenced to death in Ireland but later became a General in the Union Army and Governor of Montana.
A stamp will also be issued to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Death of CHe Guevara.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4165 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   9:56 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fitz, I wish you would either put up scans of your country's new issues or post a link to the pages.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Ireland
56 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter, I am not good with links.
The info is on the website of An Post ....anpost.i.e.IrishStamps/CollectorsCorner.
From there you can download the latest issue of "The Collector".
There are four issues during the year. As this is the first issue of 2017, it produces the provisional programme for the year and pictures of stamps to be issued in January, February, March.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
18674 Posts
Posted 01/06/2017   05:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
868 Posts
Posted 01/06/2017   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Thomas Meagher issue no doubt was spurred by the 2016 publication of Timothy Egan's popular history of Meagher, "The Immortal Irishman" (link to US Amazon offering here: https://www.amazon.com/Immortal-Iri...p/0544272889), which received positive reviews and, I found, was a rollicking good read. He led an incredible life that took him from the streets of Dublin, exile in Tasmania, a dramatic escape and sea voyage to the US, life in hardscrabble slums of New York's Lower East Side, the draft riots, battle in the Wilderness and more. Highly recommended.

After reading it, I researched Irish issues and was surprised that Ireland had never honored him on a stamp before. His negative reputation in Ireland was among the British, not Republicans. At last that will be remedied. The forthcoming design is not shown in the Collector publication, so perhaps they are negotiating for image rights. Issue date is in June 2017.

Link to the Collector publication (10 MB PDF):
http://www.anpost.ie/NR/rdonlyres/5...or1_2017.pdf

Chris
Valued Member
Ireland
56 Posts
Posted 01/06/2017   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cjpalermo....thanks for your comment and alerting me to this new book.
It is not related to the most recent book.
It has actually been planned for some years. "AN Post" invites submissions on an annual basis and submissions are generally made by interested groups such as Military History societies and amateur historians.
In part his previous apparent neglect was because Ireland had a very conservative issuing policy.
He was indirectly honoured in the 1995 Military Uniforms issue (it included the 69th New York).
There was certainly a submission to include the Battle of Fredericksburg (1862) on a stamp and more generally 150th Anniversary of end of Civil War in 2015.
On at least one of these occasions, there was an understanding that 1867-2017 was a better option.
I dont know if this is a joint issue...it seems justified. But one stamp makes it difficult to link the Irish and American dimensions.
He is very well known in Ireland.
After all he was sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered, transported to Tasmania, a Civil War general, Governor of Montana....death in mysterious circumstances that would delight a conspiracy theorist...killed by confederates or British-Canadians or simply fell overboard from a boat.
His body was never found except in a very unlikely myth.
And he is credited with designing the Flag which would eventually become (with amendment) the National Flag.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
868 Posts
Posted 01/06/2017   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most helpful, sir. I agree that a joint issue with the US seems unlikely, especially because a US issue for the centenary of the birth of John F. Kennedy is probably assured, so the tendency will be to say, "one US stamp with an Irish connection is enough for one year."
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Help with IDing watermark on cut square
  A perfectly placed ink void
  Lovely Q3 parcel post on first flight cover
  Scott 89xx-2 precancel
  Trying to identify stamp Scott 441 versus 448
  Can't find in German Catalogue Type 61?
  R15c double transfer pages from COMPEX
  Estate Stamp Collection ???
  Is this a Stamp? Possibly Russian?
  Minor issue with an eBay lot description
  Lousy stamps' supplier, need a new one. Please advice
  Anyone have an illustration of the Relief/Transfer Roller of 1851 3c
  RJA21 versus RJA41 overprints
  Identifying stamps without any identifiers
  Swiss 1850 Poste Locale 2 1/2 Rp. Forgery?
  12 Stanley Steamer (Scott 2132) Type I and II differences
  Russian empire 1r with watermark
  Look at this one, how come no one other than me bid on it ?
  A facsimile of a facsimile?
  Scott 2115 tagging alternatives
  Help identify China stamp with printed denomination "$10" and serial number
  US Scott# 1468 what caused the unusual tagging?
  US Scott #1289 G.C. Marshall tagging on hi-brite paper?
  Can anyone help me with these Scott # 832'S
  Please help identify German? states.

Scott 89xx-2 precancel
  PDF style Stamp Album Pages
  Show Us Your Beautiful Flowers on Stamps!
  Help with IDing watermark on cut square
  A perfectly placed ink void
  Lousy stamps' supplier, need a new one. Please advice
  Stamps on Stamps
  Please help identify German? states.
  Have a Heart: - Not just on Valentine's Day
  Lovely Q3 parcel post on first flight cover
  My starting precancel collection
  Regency Stamp Auctions in St. Louis
  Stamps with Coins?
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  German and Austrian perfins
  Steiner vs Philosateleian pages for used US collectors?
  Stamps On Television
  Automatic Supplements
  Can't find in German Catalogue Type 61?
  The Stamps of Jersey.
  Sabor of the Midland on cover?
  R15c double transfer pages from COMPEX
  Trying to identify stamp Scott 441 versus 448
  Minor issue with an eBay lot description
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05