Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking for suggestions on selling large quantities of duplicate worldwide stamps  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
3 Posts
Posted 01/06/2017   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wendy Segal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I'm going to give several of them a try.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
1 Posts
Posted 01/30/2017   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dcheif to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you use words like kiloware, hoard, clearance sale, millions of stamps available, etc, you will get more hits and eventually a few sales. I have been selling lots like this for years, off and on. You have to constantly change your sales pitch. Also, use lots of pictures. You do not need to assemble the stamps on stockcards. Pile mixed stamps on a scanner and take pictures. People that buy these inexpensive mixtures are looking for possible rarer stamps. If everything is lined up neatly they will get the impression that the seller knows exactly what he/she is putting in the mix, thus less chance of a "find". My humble opinion.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1770 Posts
Posted 01/30/2017   3:05 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
People that buy these inexpensive mixtures are looking for possible rarer stamps.

That is probably true to an extent. "Rarer" being a relative term in this case, but it's safe to say most people aren't looking for common letter-rate definitives. I've sold hundreds of packets like this over the past few years and I just try to deliver good variety and good value. Do that, and you'll get some repeat buyers and you'll move more duplicates. I buy a lot of these types of mixes as well, and what makes me happy is when the stamps aren't the same old, same old, even if they aren't particularly valuable.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2683 Posts
Posted 02/14/2017   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This subject is important to all collectors and needs some honest input here ,first the O.P. sounds like they want to sell their duplicates at a much higher price than they original paid to acquire their mixture lots and second they purchase the lots off of eBay . Lets clear the air here -YOU BOUGHT SOMEONES ELSE DUPLICATES that have been picked over by five or six other buyers before you got the lot .
You can expect to get about 1 or 2 cents per stamp with that kind of material selling to beginners . If you are looking for a higher return look to add sets maybe even complete sets, add recent large stamps that are not C-T-O's ,add in British Commonwealth stuff and a few flashy items to get the buyers attention . People will buy but it has to be what they are not seeing elsewhere . There are too many sellers looking to find a way to reduce their inventory and sell off the stuff they don't want to hold on to that offer it at prices below what you expect to get .
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
Posted 02/14/2017   9:52 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
in this case you couldn't be more wrong. We went a little crazy at an online auction and spent more than we probably should have. We bought 4 lots and now have boxes of nice stamps. We're ok with it overall. It will keep her busy for a long time. We're just left with so many extras and looking to do something with them. Believe me we won't be making money here just seeing if can't offset the cost a bit. I believe people will find nice stuff like in these lots. They are going up soon.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about an eBay link? Check out The ArtfulHinger eBay lots they have always been good when I bought them.
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   1:54 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will add a link once we list them. It could be as soon as this weekend.
Edited by rlsny - 02/15/2017 10:16 pm
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   5:28 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I decided to just list one item as a test. We have about 24 Poland sheets like this ready to sell. I put this in as a 99c auction to see what kind of price it goes for and to see if auction is a good idea. Depending on the outcome I'll list the rest either as auctions or fixed price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/162400856...outkn=zcBmhe
Valued Member
Canada
391 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"may not ship to CANADA".............why ?
Thanks

I still put a bid.....just to see ! Impossible to contact the seller....well....New York is just 700 miles away from my place so what is the problem ???????????????
Edited by Renden - 02/18/2017 6:31 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
18371 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

"May not post to Australia"
You may wish to address this sort of thing.
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   7:12 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My default is only shipping to the US. I recognize that is a pretty severe limitation. I just haven't looked into what is involved in international shipping. I need some education on that.
Valued Member
Canada
391 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to sell to me.........try a Post Office in the States - not very different in prices from Canada - Good Luck !
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
505 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   9:39 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are doing the right thing using the auction format, I'm a big believer in selling via auction. You are selling 125 stamps for $3.49 when you add in postage or about 3c/stamp and that may be more than people are willing to pay, time will tell. If you don't sell the 125 stamps maybe you will have to sell bigger lots.

As for International shipping I've been selling for years and I still struggle with that question. Right now I sell to US, Canada and Australia only.

Good luck,

Ken
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
2112 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   10:29 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't tick the "international" box, because I don't want to be involved in across the board eBay processes, but I include text in the description to say that I post abroad, but that bidders should ask first to check whether I post to their country and what the Royal Mail charges will be. If items are just too heavy to post overseas, I say so. Seems to work OK.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1770 Posts
Posted 02/18/2017   10:40 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A lot like this can be shipped internationally at the letter rate, which is $1.15 if it's under an ounce,which it probably would be. You do probably run a higher risk of a claim for item not received when shipping internationally, but the much larger pool of buyers makes up for the added risk. You don't want to exclude too many buyers, particularly if selling at auction. You only need two bidders to drive up the price, but it doesn't do any good if one of them can't bid.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  2016 UNESCO World Heritage Sites Booklet of 30
  I have a bunch of first day of Issue stamped envelopes with pic uploaded
  First day of issue stamped envelope
  Bogus Chas Osgood Canx???
  Canada 1875 Registered 2c orange (ScF#1) What variety?
  1946- Chinese second issue Junker 200.00 on $5- is this an Error Stamp?
  C16 block with "Ghost" Plate numbers?
  Giveaway - Mystic American Heirloom Pages 2000-2013
  Subway Nassau Binders Discontinued
  Gallatin Tennessee Postmaster Provisional Question
  What makes a stamp dealer successful?
  What stamp collection dispersal instructions for our families do we have
  One Penny Queen Victoria stamp
  Nice find. J20, Block of 4
  Stanley Gibbons Catalogue Pages
  Assistance with a couple Spain SS sheets
  More M&M Facsimiles and Other Collateral
  American Bank Note Specimens
  Identifying RN-A1 or RN-A3
  Going through family collection
  Need Belgium COB #s for these Scott #'s
  Sometimes you actually do want to remove revenue stamps from a document/piece.
  Reverse print on reverse!
  Scott National Album Organization
  I'm curious about 3 issues

Canada 1875 Registered 2c orange (ScF#1) What variety?
  What stamp collection dispersal instructions for our families do we have
  Giveaway - Mystic American Heirloom Pages 2000-2013
  BRIDGES,BRIDGES,BRIDGES! on stamps
  2016 UNESCO World Heritage Sites Booklet of 30
  Reverse print on reverse!
  I have a bunch of first day of Issue stamped envelopes with pic uploaded
  Kuwait
  1946- Chinese second issue Junker 200.00 on $5- is this an Error Stamp?
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Gallatin Tennessee Postmaster Provisional Question
  Going through family collection
  First day of issue stamped envelope
  C16 block with "Ghost" Plate numbers?
  New to forum- question about 100 coil no die cut forever flags
  US 1800's page real of fake page of stamps - where they Photoshopped in?
  Catalogs and Forgery Book
  Bogus Chas Osgood Canx???
  Super Size Taxpaid Revenues
  Double and Triple Transfers
  Stamps portraying Paleontology
  Lets see your Aviation Stamps
  Bugs, Insects, & Creepy Crawlies
  Urban Legends of Philately
  What makes a stamp dealer successful?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.79 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05