Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking for suggestions on selling large quantities of duplicate worldwide stamps  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   9:04 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
My wife collects worldwide and bought some large lots and is having fun cataloging them and building her albums. She now has envelopes full of duplicates she doesn't want ranging from 19th century through 1990s. Nothing very valuable but some catalog for $5 or so. Most just minumum value. All ready to put in albums - OG items typically not hinged, others typically no gum and clean backs.

My question is do you have any suggestions on strategies for selling these? We've tried listing "500 assorted worldwide" on eBay but they aren't selling? Should she hinge them all and show the Scott #? Should we try larger quantities? Do single country batches sell better? Organize by decade? Is it hopeless? I think she has several thousand to sell and growing.

Rick
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4112 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   9:25 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rick, every collector has your same problem. One way would be through the APS sales circuits.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   10:05 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm very interested in that option. I just recently joined and other than a few comments here I don't know what to expect. THese stamps aren't worth much individually - would I be listing stamps for a dime each? Is that reasonable or only stamps with some value - say over a buck?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4112 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   10:20 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the one thing you could do is sign up for a circuit and see what is happening in the books.
In the circuit that I get ( US coil stamps ) there are not very many cheap items but plenty that sell for under a dollar.
An option is to sell several cheap stamps together?
Only selling those that sell for let's say 50 cents and up, and donate the cheap ones to a good cause would also be an idea.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Finland
623 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess the answer to your question lies in how you introduced the problem:

Quote:
My wife collects worldwide and bought some large lots...

I'm a worldwide collector too, and when/if I buy something, I usually go after VERY BIG accumulations (say a box containing 10-50,000 stamps, can be had for 50-100$ if they are expected to contain 'common stuff' only), or then I go after something very specific (say '250 diff from Saudi-Arabia - which is rarely seen and worth a premium of some sorts). Offering '100/250/500 diff generic worldwide stamps' simply does not provide the value-for-money nor thrills' (at least for me).

-k-

Collecting the world 1840 to date one stamp at a time.
Author & owner of Stamp Collecting Blog
Edited by scb - 01/05/2017 07:39 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1777 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   1:28 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We've tried listing "500 assorted worldwide" on eBay but they aren't selling

Not sure how much you're looking to get for them, but it helps if they're priced right. Seems like random mixtures on eBay won't sell for much more than about 2 cents per stamp, give or take a little. You could also sell smaller lots, like 100 or 200 stamps, etc. This is just for random, common material, of course.

For those stamps you don't want to part with at 2 cents apiece (or less), you might want to put a small country collection together and sell those specific stamps at maybe 10-20% of catalog. If you have, say, 10 stamps totalling $50 in catalog value, you could sell those as a lot in the $5-$10 range. They probably won't sell very quickly, but some will sell sooner or later and that way you're not giving them away at 2 cents apiece. $5 CV stamps might not be worth the effort of selling individually on eBay, but if you can combine several of them, sooner or later you'll find a buyer who needs enough of them to justify his purchase of the lot.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2696 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
500 stamps that has already been picked over will not bring you anything on E-BAY ,maybe 2 or $3.00 at most . The market is flooded with those type of listings .
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
18419 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
500 stamps that has already been picked over will not bring you anything on E-BAY ,maybe 2 or $3.00 at most . The market is flooded with those type of listings .

I agree, the glaring ommission, is how much you asked, that should have been your most important point in your post.
Your competition (and large lots do sell) is around 1c per stamp, the quality of the mix,
how you present your scans, will assist interest.
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   5:49 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the great feedback. We've gone with very low prices - even a .99 cent auction (there's one up now) - just to see what we would get. So far - zip.

I'll suggest some of these ideas and maybe she'll ask some additional questions.
United States
1 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add W B Segal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is Rick's wife. Another question: if I do organize these doubles by country, is it helpful/necessary for me to mount them and get Scott catalog numbers? Or is just "500 mixed Poland stamps" likely to be enough given that there's nothing particularly rare in the group? Or do topics sell better? Would it pay for me to pull out all the astronaut stamps, all the animal stamps, and so on? (By the way, I really appreciate all of the help and suggestions, even the "don't bother" comments are helpful.)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
505 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   7:55 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would recommend sorting the stamps by country and displaying them on stock pages. Hinging to pages and using Scott #s is too time consuming for the $ involved. Sell the stamps showing pictures (preferably scans) of all pages and using the auction format and a low starting price. After the auction you can ship the stamps in a glassine and reuse the stock pages. Be sure and mention that the stock pages are not included.

In the future you might consider buying "feeder collections" and after you take out the stamps you need you can resell the remainder of the collection. I think it will be easier to get back a good percentage of your costs.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
18419 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Or is just "500 mixed Poland stamps" likely to be enough

I think that is the way to go.
As advised by other members here, mounting / hinging etc is a waste of time and money for the basic issues.
I have tried that with Romania.

PS (I would be interested in 500 Poland) post your eBay link.

I have found in other auction sites I frequent, "Topicals" or pages of, do get a better response, but the time required to discriminate the stamps would not pay, in my opinion.

Keep in mind, with a medium level collector, 500 of (name your country) may be of interest, but a scan may indicate to the buyer say 30-50 stamps he/she needs, the rest become their nightmare duplicates.
You then estimate what those 50 stamps you need are going to cost with shipping.

At least that's how I guage whether a bundle of commons is worth pursuing.

PS: there is a small caveat there, some of the lesser saved countries, may get better responses.
Stamps of say Poland, Romania, Hungary, Czechoslovakia may get weaker responses, say, than a country like Vietnam, which may ellicit stronger bids / interest.

Edited by rod222 - 01/05/2017 8:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rugface to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Find out if there are any local stamp clubs in your area. Check the APS website for clubs in your area. It's also possible there is/are local clubs not affiliated with APS. I have access to three area (within 35 or so miles) clubs and members do a lot of selling and trading of their duplicates.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1956 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could always set up a retail stamp store on 57th street in Manhattan. Not many street level stamp sellers in the Big Apple anymore. 7 million shoppers and no competition. [humor!]
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
190 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dkabq8 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rather than trying to sell the stamps, instead have her join The International Society of
World Wide Stamp Collectors and participate in their swap circuits. It is a great way to shuffle duplicates off of your mortal coil and get new stamps for your collection. YMMV.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1777 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   11:16 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another thing you can do for general common WW is to make multiple listings for the same type of lot, with different keywords so as to show up in the maximum amount of search results. You're not going to sell a packet every day, but even one or two a week helps get rid of some duplicates and gives you a little pocket change to spend on more stamps. Also, if you keep the same fixed price listing active for a long period of time (just changing the available qty when necessary), eventually you'll build a lot of watchers and a lot of repeat buyers, and you'll climb in the search results. If you keep generating new listings you'll lose those watchers and will continue to dwell toward the bottom of search results.
Edited by TheArtfulHinger - 01/05/2017 11:16 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Scott #964. Two stamps
  Help with watermark (small double line?)
  Scott 195 - Ink splatter ot re-emtry..?
  Soviet annexation of Poland 1939 stamp value
  New member from Sunset, Utah - Need help with Officially Sealed Stamps
  I can not identify what Stamp is #832
  Nauru - Emergency Overprint Issue of 1978
  Newbie query: Speed of issue of Nobel prize stamps by small countries, collecting opinions?
  German Empire "Deutsches Reich" 20pf stamp imperforated
  Hodge Podge of stamps I need help identifying (Part 2)
  Hey, nice printed cance... wait, what?
  Victorian Penny stamps inherited - opinion on value
  eBay "Pretty Blue" typo, Slightly over priced!
  Canada Post Details Magazine
  Recent Spanish Acquisitions
  Pages for Canada Precancels
  Can collecting be a great investment as well as a great interest?
  Sorting through a shoebox of mixed world stamps
  1906-08 MLH guide line pair scott #314 schermack perforation.help me value my line pair?
  Auxiliary Handstamp: CALLED OUT
  Unknown stamp red no value
  Don't be deceived by this odd item
  1934 Stamp Club Menu overprint
  Selling $3 Columbian on Delcampe....
  Steiner pages for Canada

Scott #964. Two stamps
  eBay "Pretty Blue" typo, Slightly over priced!
  More philatelic butchery
  Australian Perfins and Perfin Varieties
  Canada: New Star Trek Stamps
  Help with watermark (small double line?)
  Bees - Honey Bee Stamps, Beekeeping, Apiculture
  New member from Sunset, Utah - Need help with Officially Sealed Stamps
  Belgium : Stamps on Steiner Pages.
  Scott 195 - Ink splatter ot re-emtry..?
  Lets See Your SOUVENIR SHEETS!
  Soviet annexation of Poland 1939 stamp value
  Reverse print on reverse!
  Canada Stickney Rotary Press vs Flat Plate Press Medallion Stamps
  Victorian Penny stamps inherited - opinion on value
  Auxiliary Handstamp: CALLED OUT
  German Empire "Deutsches Reich" 20pf stamp imperforated
  I can not identify what Stamp is #832
  1c 1851 Plate 3 Stamps
  Nauru - Emergency Overprint Issue of 1978
  Founded collectable British one pennys
  Hey, nice printed cance... wait, what?
  Collecting by Engraver
  Let's Dance
  Pages for Canada Precancels

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05