Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Analysis of Worldwide Catalog Data  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1590 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Background

Several decades ago, Michel Bιgin, a collector from Quιbec, Canada, put together a study of worldwide collecting areas to determine which were the most cost-effective collecting areas. He did this by plowing through a 1997 Scott Classic Specialized Catalogue, compiling data on all mint issues from 1840-1940. He then quantified his finding through a simple formula that allowed him to capture which collecting areas had a low percentage of high-CV issues, and no issues with a really high CV.

Quantity with CV >$100
—————————–— x Highest CV
Total quantity issued

He published his findings on his website, where they sat until several years later, when the site lapsed and disappeared. It is currently only available through Internet archives.

About the Data

When Mr. Bιgin undertook his study, he manually paged through a Scott catalog to assemble his data. I was not about to attempt that. I had the benefit of having access to data from the Michel catalog in electronic format, so that is the catalog I chose to use in assembling the current data.

Data in the Worldwide tables is from the 2015-2016 Michel catalog, with the exception of Germany data, which is from Michel's 2015 Deutschland-Spezial.

The Table Types

Due to page-width limitations, each type (Mint & Used) is broken down into 2 tables, for a total of 4 tables.

Mint (#) — Mint issues by price range
Mint (%) — Mint percentage of total issues within the price ranges
Used (#) — Used issues by price range
Used (%) — Used percentage of total issues within the price ranges

For many issues, Michel lists catalog values for multiple mint conditions (MNH, MH, and/or MNG). The data used for this analysis follows an order of precedence — if there's a MNH CV, that value is used. If no MNH CV is given, the analysis looks for a MH CV. Finally, if neither MNH nor MH is available, the analysis looks to MNG CV. A similar system is used for Used — Used CV first, but if none is available, CTO CV is used.

The Columns

IA — Issuing Authority
< €10 — Number of issues (#) or percentage of total issues (%) with a CV < €10.
€10-€50 — Number of issues (#) or percentage of total issues (%) with a CV of €10-€50.
€50-€100 — Number of issues (#) or percentage of total issues (%) with a CV of €50-€100.
> €100 — Number of issues (#) or percentage of total issues (%) with a CV > €100.
CV TBD — The Michel catalog has certain issues for which copies are known to exist, but there's insufficient data for the catalog publisher to set a catalog value. This doesn't mean the stamp is necessarily rare or valuable, but simply that there isn't sufficient data to set a CV. This is denoted by "—,—" in the catalog, and is reflected here as CV TBD.
No CV — This is to denote those issues for which no catalog value is given (IOW, the space is blank in the catalog, not "—,—").
Total — Total number of issues.
Max CV — Maximum CV for this IA and condition..
AQ — The Affordability Quotient, a variant of Mr. Bιgin's attempt to quantify which collecting areas are best on a budget. The lower the AQ, the more affordable the collecting area (however, see note below).

A Few Notes & Tips

• For many collecting areas, Michel's data was subdivided into smaller parts (for example — USA regular issues, USA Postage Dues, USA Officials, etc.). I have not attempted to combine these into a single data point (for example — USA). If you wish to see all subparts of a collecting area, the easiest way is to use the IA search box (for example, entering "USA" will show 25 USA-related data points).
  • There may be some translation errors in the IA names. The originals were in German, and I'm not fluent.
  • I have not attempted to verify the accuracy of the data at an individual stamp level, as there were almost a million individual stamps in the data. I suspect there may be slight errors in places, as Michel sometimes lists set prices in addition to or in lieu of individual stamp CVs, which can lead to some duplication in the pricing data.
  • I didn't have access to unspecialized Michel data on the German areas, so the data from German areas is from the Specialized catalog, whereas the remaining Worldwide data is from unspecialized catalogs. Keep this in mind if comparing German collecting areas to non-German ones, as the German ones will contain far more listings than you'd find in an unspecialized catalog, including many rare varieties which can skew the pricing data.
  • Finally, be aware that the AQ can be skewed by CV TBD and No CV. For mathematical purposes, CV TBD and No CV are treated as having a CV of zero in the database. This should not be mistaken for an actual CV of zero. For example, if an entire collecting area is only available Mint, there will be no Used values (No CV will be 100% of issues), and the Used AQ will therefore equal zero. I recommend you exercise caution with any areas with an AQ of zero.

An overview can be found here, with links to the tables contained within.

Send note to Staff

Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945

Pillar Of The Community
USA
573 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kuhli to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
all I can say is WOW!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
USA
573 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kuhli to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
just a note for a needed minor correction. when using the used(#) tab, the 6th column (after CV TBD) is titled as ">€100", should it not be "No CV"?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1590 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. Fixed the typo.

Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1590 Posts
Posted 01/08/2017   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Based on feedback from users, I've made a couple refinements to the tables.

1. I've culled a lot of the duplicate data. For example, set prices, FDCs, covers, etc. The only listings left in the database are individual stamps and items Michel catalogs as Blocks or Kleinbogen (typically stamps issued in commemorative sheetlets).

2. I've added a column showing the total CV across each collecting area.

And just because I know you're curious, there are 829,992 individual stamp issues in the database, with a total CV of €48,387,679 (mint) or €26,485,722 (used).

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1590 Posts
Posted 01/12/2017   01:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After receiving some additional feedback from several users, I've made a couple fairly significant changes to the analysis.

1. I've changed the formula for calculating the AQ. The old formula was resulting in a lot of "0" values because it only used high CVs in the calculation, and many areas don't have any high CV stamps. With the new formula, the only "0" AQs will be those collecting areas which have no catalog values (ex., if a collecting area has only mint stamps, the used AQ will still be 0). The end result of this is that if you set the "from" filter in the AQ box to ".01", it will filter out all IAs with no CVs, making it much easier to actually see which IAs have low AQs.

2. I added tables with the many sub-areas grouped into broader categories. So, if you don't want to see USA broken down into USA Officials, Postmaster Stamps, Carrier Stamps, etc., you can now see just USA. I did my best to get accurate groupings, but I'm not a worldwide collector, so if I've grouped something incorrectly, please let me know. This reduced the number of IAs from 1,761 to 441.

3. I fixed a few of the IAs that had incorrect or missing data.

Tables are here

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Subway Stamp Shop -- Website and Wished-for Products
  Hodge Podge of stamps I need help identifying
  1875-88 canada registration stamp F1 (i cannot determine color)? org,vermilion or rose carmine?
  Scott # 35 major re-entry (Sc 35XX) ?
  What is an "Internal Tear"??
  What's not to like about gators?
  The Stamps of Kyrgyzstan.
  How often do you gaze upon?
  Australian Penny Red
  Purchased this cover today at thrift store!
  QR6 Quebec registration stamp - Need second opinion.
  Where Do Mint Postage Due Stamps Come From???
  Recommendation re: good UV lights?
  Need help identifying stamp
  Tasmania Cancellation
  Red streak in this C11 airmail
  2 cents George Washington
  Deutshes Reich Stamp
  Australia one penny red stamp
  Scott #8? I Wish I Was That Smart
  Deutsch Reich "Germania" 10 Pf. 1920-1921 bright Yellow-Orange Variety???
  Scott 047 or 047iii...?
  1932 Block of 4 Kangaroo & Map in Violet
  ECUADOR 36 Revenue Tax Fiscal Stamps - Latin America BOB Back of Book Engraved
  XMAS 1898 - Is that a Precancel under there?

Hodge Podge of stamps I need help identifying
  Where Do Mint Postage Due Stamps Come From???
  Wow! Somebody got creative...
  Subway Stamp Shop -- Website and Wished-for Products
  RUSSIA ---1924 lenin imperf . fakes and forgeries
  Need help identifying stamp
  1875-88 canada registration stamp F1 (i cannot determine color)? org,vermilion or rose carmine?
  Subway Nassau Binders Discontinued
  BRIDGES,BRIDGES,BRIDGES! on stamps
  Removing those pesky self adhesives from envelopes
  What's not to like about gators?
  1c 1851 Plate 3 Stamps
  Whats in your Library?
  Help With Japanese Stamp
  What makes a stamp dealer successful?
  How often do you gaze upon?
  Purchased this cover today at thrift store!
  Scott # 35 major re-entry (Sc 35XX) ?
  What is an "Internal Tear"??
  Australian Perfins and Perfin Varieties
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  1932 Block of 4 Kangaroo & Map in Violet
  Urban Legends of Philately
  Tasmania Cancellation
  The Stamps of Kyrgyzstan.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05