Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

EBay has me by the....as a Canadian  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
14 Posts
Posted 01/03/2017   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cshahar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
So I just bought a Scott #1. Living in Canada I have to pay an extra $43 in shipping and import charges. Imagine paying $22.85 to have a stamp shipped via International Priority Shipping! This sucks. They won't let me transact personally with the seller. That doesn't leave me too many options. Any ideas?

-Charles
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
Posted 01/03/2017   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you contacted the seller? I assume the seller is in the US in which case the problem is with the US Postal Service and the lack of many choices to insure an item going across international borders.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
14 Posts
Posted 01/03/2017   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cshahar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did contact the seller, three times! We have decided that he will cancel the auction and re-list it with different shipping options. Here is a note I received from eBay:

You should have contacted the seller before you bought the item and asked them if they would be willing to ship directly to Canada without the GSP. They would have had to take the gsp off the listing before you made the purchase. Since you already bought the item, the seller has to ship through the GSP. The other alternative is for the seller to cancel the transaction, opt out of the GSP and relist the item and you repurchase it.

Here is my response:

Thank you. This is helpful. It addresses how to recover from a bad situation. However, it doesn't address the fact that charging me more than $20 to ship a stamp is profoundly bad practice (I could use other words, but won't). There is something unethical about it. Too bad there is no accountability involved.

-Charles
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
Posted 01/03/2017   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! I just learned why not to get into the Global Shipping Program. Thanks for the explanation and details. I'm glad the seller is willing to help out on the deal. Good luck getting your stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
888 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   04:47 am  Show Profile Check duncanvr's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I've mentioned on this forum in the past sellers should not be using GSP in the stamps category. I've sited international postage from $18 to $51 with USA sellers using the Global Shipping Program for a single stamp. Its quiet ridiculous. Be very cautious when bidding or with buy it now items, check first the seller feedback and then secondly the postage charge. Global Shipping Program will use the highest courier tracked service available, the seller does not see a cent of the postage it all goes to Pitney Bowes. Some sellers don't know that and ask the buyer why they didn't pay the postage. Personally I avoid listings using the service altogether, I used to buy a lot more from US sellers but now only stick with those that use good old fashioned airmail.
Valued Member
Canada
14 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   07:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cshahar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, caution is called for here. The problem seems to be a lack of accountability on the part of eBay and whatever company handles this end of their transactions. Of course, now that I know I cannot transact personally with the seller, I will keep a careful eye on the charges. There is an option to have the seller change the shipping specs in mid-posting. I wonder if most sellers will do that.

-Charles
Valued Member
Canada
486 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I am not mistaken...eBay takes a commission off the total cost of the transaction...shipping included.
I rarely buy stamps off eBay these days because of the GSP...which is a major ripoff!
One of the reasons that I purchase from dealers on HipStamp is that the shipping costs to Canada is quite reasonable...however I did find a dealer the other day who's shipping rate for single stamp to the USA was $2.00...but to Canada was over $9.00...and with the current exchange it would make it around $11.00 in Canadian funds.
Simply ridiculous!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
714 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   10:12 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 2 ounce USPS First Class Parcel with tracking costs $2.62 to mail while it costs $1.36 to mail a 2 ounce Stayflat mailer without tracking to Canada. Why charge more for shipping under $400 stamp orders to Canada?
Edited by cfrphoto - 01/04/2017 10:13 am
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   10:34 am  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I have sales to Canada I mail by regular first class international. $1.15 last time I checked. It's my risk of loss of course but so far in over 40 years I have never lost an item to Canada. I also don't offer items over around $400.
Valued Member
Canada
14 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cshahar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there any way of bringing eBay to task on this issue? Because it is a ripoff!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2152 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   1:52 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really doubt eBay would ever change their position. However, the best thing we can do is educate philatelic sellers to not use the GSP program. There is no valid reason to use it. eBay deceived a number of sellers who were weary of international sales into the program and auto-enrolled many new sellers into it without their knowledge. If a seller has an item you are interested in make sure they are not using he GSP program and if they are see if they are willing to change to a better option before you bid or purchase. If not, don't buy from that seller. There are plenty of good sellers on eBay that do not use the GSP program. Shop around.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add diane to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Suggestion, find a good USA friend and have it shipped to them and they can in turn ship it to you at a better cost.

Valued Member
Canada
14 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cshahar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that might work. But unfortunately I don't have any American friends, and I am not sure I would impose upon them such an extra effort given the volume of my purchases. The suggestion that I get a PO Box in the States would be a good one, except I am one of those people who gets nervous while going through customs and telling them I have nothing major to declare. The alternative is paying taxes there which I might not have to pay through USPS.

-Charles
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I am among the first to criticize eBay, I'm not sure that eBay is the culprit in this case. Assuming that the stamp is worth about $300, the USPS wants $41.50 to send it by International Priority Express; $23.95 by Priority Mail, and $14.55 by first class registered. And of course, both eBay and PayPal add their fees to these prices. You mention import fees. I believe the stamp is free of duty, but Canada Revenue will want their GST and provincial sales taxes on the purchase. That's something to be taken up with your MP. Actually, the point I'm trying to make is that international shipping costs are ridiculously high.
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheRebel1861 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why not have the shipper send it UPS or DHL? Include the shipping costs as part of the sale.
Learn More...
3056 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   3:45 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are also mail forwarding services that work with US/Canada addresses.
Don
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Scott #964. Two stamps
  Help with watermark (small double line?)
  Scott 195 - Ink splatter ot re-emtry..?
  Soviet annexation of Poland 1939 stamp value
  New member from Sunset, Utah - Need help with Officially Sealed Stamps
  I can not identify what Stamp is #832
  Nauru - Emergency Overprint Issue of 1978
  Newbie query: Speed of issue of Nobel prize stamps by small countries, collecting opinions?
  German Empire "Deutsches Reich" 20pf stamp imperforated
  Hodge Podge of stamps I need help identifying (Part 2)
  Hey, nice printed cance... wait, what?
  Victorian Penny stamps inherited - opinion on value
  eBay "Pretty Blue" typo, Slightly over priced!
  Canada Post Details Magazine
  Recent Spanish Acquisitions
  Pages for Canada Precancels
  Can collecting be a great investment as well as a great interest?
  Sorting through a shoebox of mixed world stamps
  1906-08 MLH guide line pair scott #314 schermack perforation.help me value my line pair?
  Auxiliary Handstamp: CALLED OUT
  Unknown stamp red no value
  Don't be deceived by this odd item
  1934 Stamp Club Menu overprint
  Selling $3 Columbian on Delcampe....
  Steiner pages for Canada

Scott #964. Two stamps
  eBay "Pretty Blue" typo, Slightly over priced!
  More philatelic butchery
  Australian Perfins and Perfin Varieties
  Canada: New Star Trek Stamps
  Help with watermark (small double line?)
  Bees - Honey Bee Stamps, Beekeeping, Apiculture
  New member from Sunset, Utah - Need help with Officially Sealed Stamps
  Belgium : Stamps on Steiner Pages.
  Scott 195 - Ink splatter ot re-emtry..?
  Lets See Your SOUVENIR SHEETS!
  Soviet annexation of Poland 1939 stamp value
  Reverse print on reverse!
  Canada Stickney Rotary Press vs Flat Plate Press Medallion Stamps
  Victorian Penny stamps inherited - opinion on value
  Auxiliary Handstamp: CALLED OUT
  German Empire "Deutsches Reich" 20pf stamp imperforated
  I can not identify what Stamp is #832
  1c 1851 Plate 3 Stamps
  Nauru - Emergency Overprint Issue of 1978
  Founded collectable British one pennys
  Hey, nice printed cance... wait, what?
  Collecting by Engraver
  Let's Dance
  Pages for Canada Precancels

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.77 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05