Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 24 V or Va need help on this one??  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
999 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   7:35 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's just a Type V, probably from Plate 9 or 10. You are correct that it is an F-relief stamp.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
528 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The dark spot in the lower arc of the C of CENT is characteristic of most bottom row positions on Plate 10 (see the Doporto Image Archive--this is not shown in Neinken). The ornaments at lower right are not complete enough for this to be a possible Type Va.
Valued Member
United States
481 Posts
Posted 01/10/2017   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great observation Dudley .

I like 91R10
Pillar Of The Community
United States
999 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   06:30 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The interpane margin was much less frequently perforated in the latter half of the 1857-61 period. I think 91R10 is correct and the fact that it has had perforations added along the left margin is further evidence.
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chaulkdust to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing information! I was so busy looking for plate marks I didn't even look at the perorations - Duh! Re-perfed on the left which is quite obvious now that it's pointed out, and a fairly crummy job as well.
Thank you.
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chaulkdust to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just of out curiosity, is there any web sites that provide clues as to what to look for in general for plating to narrow down the search. I feel like I waste a lot of time not knowing what are good refence points and what aren't. Like this stamp I though the spot in the P and the N were good things to look for but they were not. The spot C did work out. Also, it seems like I ran across several items that had some features of the victim stamp but obviously not enough or the correct points of interest? Also the Venus site I have been using is only partially completed is there another web site that is similar but more complete?

I have been doing the following (without much success)

1. ID the Relief 1st
2. Start examining the rows from the plates for that relief
3. Look for key features visible on the victim stamp in the plate images. Apparently I'm not looking at the best features to complete the ID.

Plating is very interesting but time consuming when you don't have the experience to back up the effort. Thanks for all the expert replies to what are obvious requests by me, don't mean to waste your time. I may try one or two more to get some more practice.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4626 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   6:37 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pretty sure that all of us that frequent this board turn to this website for plating help.

http://www.slingshotvenus.com/Frank...hv_Main.html

Between this and Mortimer Neinken's book it helps to find the match or narrow down the choices. You're on the right path by learning the reliefs first. Unfortunately not all 1 Franklins can be plated. I have a strip of 3 type II's that I've just given up on.
Edited by stallzer - 01/11/2017 6:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
481 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chaulk,

I agree with examining for the relief early on. I also like to identify Scott number right off the bat if possible because that narrows the plate possibilities. Obviously other plate markings, flaws, double transfers, cracks, curls, etc are very important.... guide dots are quite meaningful as well. Recuts are important for Scott 9 and 23.

Most important... if you enjoy this ... buy Neinken''s book (about 70-120$ in general depending on condition). It has plating diagrams and explains much of this.

Interested if the more experienced here have other tricks? I think experience in this makes it easier. Now that Dudley pointed that mark in C of cent is characteristic of bottom row plate 10. Hopefully I'll never forget that.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
528 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chaulk, the more experience you get the more adept you'll become at narrowing down your choices, or at least focusing on the most likely targets first. For example (sticking with the Type V plates), if the stamp has a lot of plate bruising it is good to start with Plate 8. If there are a lot of diagonal scratches then Plate 9 is a good place to start. If there is a lot of mottling in the lower portion of the stamp then begin with Plate 7. If you are fortunate enough to have a centerline or imprint copy, then you can narrow your field considerably (the fat Plate 9 center line is especially useful). If you have a top row copy then the position of the guide dots at the UR can help eliminate entire plates. Keep at it and you will become successful, although as stallzer says some copies simply cannot be plated.
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 01/13/2017   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chaulkdust to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input. I gave this one a try
Relief E type V 89R8???????

Pillar Of The Community
United States
999 Posts
Posted 01/14/2017   07:26 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4626 Posts
Posted 01/14/2017   08:06 am  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do believe that chalkdust has drank the kool aid
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
Posted 01/14/2017   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No question about it chalkdust!
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chaulkdust to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey -got one! Well, finally down to my last 24 and this one beat me up. Tried E & F reliefs no luck. Thought it would be easy to find with the really messed up top circle around the O & T. If anyone has an idea let me know so I can see where I messed up.

Really learned a bit about plating so it was well worth the effort to at least try.

Thanks!

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4626 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   8:33 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an E relief to me.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  extended extra portion of stamp? GB Scott #61 plate 19.help needed?
  Help please....don't believe this is a Sc#24 but...
  Presentation help with this stamp error printing method.
  Roosevelt proofs presentation album images?
  German Reich 1923, no. 325A Pb, 1 Mrd ). Blackish brown ??
  DANEPEX Covers Now Available-Featuring Charles Lindbergh
  Help for new collectors
  Expect fewer stamps on your mail
  About Stamp memories
  United Nations 1948-1973
  Scott catalog 2018 edition to be 12 volumes
  Queen Victoria Penny Red Identification
  gernany - 1922 -1923 3000 Mk - blackish brown ??
  Need one more of these.
  Help with a US Internal revenue, series of 1875 - private?
  Advice for selling an Inherited collection on Ebay
  Print your own pages (like Steiner) but in SG format?
  1870 GB #58 where is the plate number?
  Set of 1932 Sydney Harbour Bridge stamps
  Spain - 75th Anniversary - Revenue?
  Request to Post Avatar
  Rare unique combination of cracked plates
  October 1862 Revenue Canx - Let's see them!
  Latvia New Year Postcards--Humorous? Quirky?
  Double and Triple Transfers

BRIDGES,BRIDGES,BRIDGES! on stamps
  extended extra portion of stamp? GB Scott #61 plate 19.help needed?
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  SC#367 Lincoln thread on back
  Roosevelt proofs presentation album images?
  A few Album Binder Reviews -
  Presentation help with this stamp error printing method.
  Sharjah stamp information
  Any interest in world Postal Stationery?
  Calling any platers of 1857 10 cent type V #35
  Show me! MUSIC / Musicians/ Instruments
  Help please....don't believe this is a Sc#24 but...
  Money stamps
  Double and Triple Transfers
  where to buy? auction or a stamps store?
  German Reich 1923, no. 325A Pb, 1 Mrd ). Blackish brown ??
  Queen Victoria Penny Red Identification
  Expect fewer stamps on your mail
  Dates wanted for Battleship calendar collection
  Australian Stamp error?
  gernany - 1922 -1923 3000 Mk - blackish brown ??
  About Stamp memories
  DANEPEX Covers Now Available-Featuring Charles Lindbergh
  What to do with my accumulation of Australian stamps?
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05