Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How would you feel if you thought you had lost 11 days of your life?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
179 Posts
Posted 12/24/2016   06:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Penguins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
The dates on the two parts of this letter give food for thought!

Oliver Cromwell, who ruled England as Lord Protector from 1653-1658, was a great organiser, and his Parliament passed an Act in 1657 which declared :-

"There shall be one General Post Office and one officer styled the Postmaster General of England…and that all other persons were forbidden 'to set up or employ any footposts, horseposts, or packet boats.'
This meant that no one else could carry the mails as a business. It also meant that it was easier to arrange a proper postal service. However, letters were exchanged privately, in particular within the City of London, which at that time was the business and financial centre. This letter is an example, written by Jo.Heath from his office in the Inner Temple, (one of the Inns of Court in London) which is dated 'Last of 10th 1660'. It is addressed to 'Mr. Robert Clayton, a Scrivener Neere the old Exchange House'. There are no postmarks as the Bishop Mark (showing the day and month the letter was posted) was not introduced until 1661, the year after this was written.

The contents of this letter show that it was privately delivered, and the reply returned to the sender. It is a very early letter concerning banking, and the transfer of money.

"Mr. Clayton,
I have been hitherto irresolute at least, if not improvidently negligent in disposing of my moneys, in yr hands to some better advantage, but within a day or two, when my brother & I are somewhat better (haveing both at present very troublesome colds) I will advise with you, resolve noth. myselfe about it. In the meanetime I pray deliver to bearer fifty pounds sterling, of wch I have present use, for which this shal bee yr discharge from Yr assured friend & servant
Jo. Heath
Inner Temple last of 10th 1660"
Josiah Heath then added the following note

"Take a note under his hand for the fifty pound wch will testify you have delivered it on this letter."
Robert Clayton then added this note as a receipt in his own handwriting.

"January ye 3rd, 1660. Recd. then according to contents above of Mr. Robert. Clayton sum of fifty pounds I say…….(50)....."

This note was signed by the bearer of the note who received the money to be returned to Jo. Heath.

The dates are interesting, as the first part of the letter is dated the last of the 10th 1660, and the follow up is January ye 3rd also 1660, and that is because at this time the Julian calendar was in use, and the year began in March, so December was the 10th month, and 1660 would continue to be the year until the following February. In the case of this letter, the date written as the last of the 10th was in fact the 31st December.

The Gregorian calendar was not introduced in Britain until September 1752, (about 150 years after it was accepted on the Continent). There were riots in the streets in England as the date after the 2nd September was declared to be the 14th and the people thought they had been deprived of 11 days of their lives!

1660 was also important for London and Great Britain as this was the year the Monarchy was restored.

Charles the Second was proclaimed Monarch in May 1660, but his accession was formally backdated to 1649 when his father King Charles I had been tried and executed. After the restoration of the Monarchy in 1660, the new parliament did not recognise any of the laws passed by the Commonwealth or Protectorate parliaments. So in 1660 another Act of Parliament was passed, which confirmed most of the previous legislation, including the establishment of a General Post Office, under the control of one Postmaster General. This is considered to be the origin of the British Post Office as it is known today.

We find these old letters fascinating and if anyone is interested there are over a hundred on our website (non commercial and advert free)
at
http://www.earsathome.com/letters/P...ttersov.html
to go to the letters
or

http://www.earsathome.com/

for the home page for other stamps Australia, Antarctic, G.B. and much more.
Regards
Ron and Eunice.

Send note to Staff

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Scanning / Photography of watermarks
  Incredible Giveaway of early Canada Stamps
  I think this stamp has a real shot at being a Scott 316.
  Scott 106 - Missing frame
  British Cartel User Names
  Ebay Seller Scam Alert
  Revenue with color paper and some scissor-art
  A Few BOB Dispatch Stamps, ETC..Are They Legit?
  Philatelic calendar for March
  Very Annoying eBay pop ups
  So... did the scrounging gods favor me a second time?
  1c Columbus in Sight of Land Error?
  Help with ID of This Machine Cancel
  Auction Purchase Destroyed in Mail, Is Anyone Liable?
  FCD1 custom duty stamp - Missing line..?
  Need your expertise on this 1 cent stamp I.D please.
  France - Status of Stamps in Old Currency
  Stamp Smarter March Contest
  Finland Arms of the Republic 1917-30, 1925-29 and 1927-29 partial sets mnh and used
  Authenticating Coil with blind perfs
  Unhinged vs Hinged on Attached Margin Paper
  Thailand 1 Baht stamp. Anyone know the year?
  Putting auction lots on extension?
  Cambodia Stamps : On Album Pages.
  Experience with Ott Light?

I think this stamp has a real shot at being a Scott 316.
  British Cartel User Names
  New stamp error in Germany (christmas stamp)
  Scanning / Photography of watermarks
  Inherited stamp collection
  Incredible Giveaway of early Canada Stamps
  France - Status of Stamps in Old Currency
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Revenue with color paper and some scissor-art
  Scott 106 - Missing frame
  Whats in your Library?
  GOLD is everywhere, everything is GOLDEN
  Philatelic calendar for March
  A Few BOB Dispatch Stamps, ETC..Are They Legit?
  Unhinged vs Hinged on Attached Margin Paper
  So... did the scrounging gods favor me a second time?
  danish classics, show them to me.
  Very Annoying eBay pop ups
  Auction Purchase Destroyed in Mail, Is Anyone Liable?
  What kind of features do you expect from digital (philatelic) publications?
  Cover Calendar for month and day -PICS
  Stamps on Stamps
  The Edward VII Issue of Canada: A detailed study by George C. Marler
  Help with ID of This Machine Cancel
  Ebay Seller Scam Alert

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05