Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why do you think we need an alternative to EBAY?  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1198 Posts
Posted 12/22/2016   9:57 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It took Amazon nearly 20 years before it turned a profit

Amazon could have turned a profit much earlier, but instead chose to invest in growing faster.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1198 Posts
Posted 12/22/2016   9:59 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Seemingly nonsensical changes to page design, frequently change for change's sake rather than improvements in usability

Middle management trting to justify their existence.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1198 Posts
Posted 12/22/2016   10:03 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
how the stamp categories are laid out.

Besides the problem with Germany mentioned earlier (and the same problem for France), for the Brit Commonwealth countries, they split up the countries by pre and post independence, with the pre under CW and the post by the part of the world they are in, so you have to look in 2 places and some sellers don't split their listings the way eBay has those categories, so it is a total mess.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 12/22/2016   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Middle management trying to justify their existence.

"The role of "middle management" is simply to create crises, which they can then solve, thus drawing attention to themselves by Upper management".

I can't recall in which management text I read this some years ago, but thought it hit the nail on the head.
Edited by mml1942 - 12/22/2016 10:21 pm
Valued Member
United States
406 Posts
Posted 12/23/2016   04:09 am  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a Buyer: Too many FREE listings. Without a listing fee we get too many overpriced items that never sell and fill up the searches. Add back a fee to list based on the start price and reduce the final value fee to offset.

As a seller: I love FREE listings
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 12/23/2016   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although I am primarily a postal history collector (that is, covers, not stamps), I continue to find eBay to be a "target rich" environment for shopping. I rarely go a day without encountering an item which would fit into my collection when the budget allows. And I've spent three days at a major show with virtually no success.

I'm also solely a buyer at this point, although the itch to become a seller often arises...

I would estimate that 75% of the $dollar value my purchases (mostly in the $10 - $50 per item range) are from eBay. About 10% come from Delcampe, another 10% from dealers at shows, and occasionally a high dollar item is purchased from a major auction house. I gladly play the field.

Some of the items I collect: mostly ephemera related to the US post office, have been acquired solely from eBay. These were items like Postmaster appointment commissions and Account Books which I had never seen through traditional paper ephemera sources. In this case, eBay opened an entire world of opportunity to me.

I agree with the sentiment that the loss of wildcard searching with eBay was a inconvenience, but its impact simply forced me to break my searches into a series of date related searches to find what I was looking for. I doubt eBay saved many CPU cycles from me.

I also agree that both eBay and Delcampe have way too many inexpensive but overpriced listings that just go on and on and on without possibility of sale. Why anyone thinks that offering 50 individual listings for copies of the same contemporary US commemorative stamp at $0.99 will make them rich is beyond my comprehension. I would like to see some form of a more "expensive" listing fee approach to limit this behavior.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2888 Posts
Posted 12/23/2016   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"The role of "middle management" is simply to create crises, which they can then solve, thus drawing attention to themselves by Upper management".

I can't recall in which management text I read this some years ago, but thought it hit the nail on the head.

MAD Magazine.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 12/23/2016   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
MAD Magazine

IkeyPikey:

You're probably right. Most of the places I worked seemed to be guided by their philosophy.

Although by the end of my career, I think DILBERT had taken over.
Edited by mml1942 - 12/23/2016 2:51 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Putting auction lots on extension?
  Cambodia Stamps : On Album Pages.
  Experience with Ott Light?
  Anyone specialize in WW airmail?
  Omega Speedmaster - Apollo-Soyuz
  Used stamps of 1033a silkote paper
  Inherited stamp collection
  Postage due cards to USA - rates ??
  Swift River, Yukon cancel missing date
  for US addresses only posted overseas, & what is the odd number LHS?
  Old Wells Fargo Local Stamp. Reprint or real?
  Can anyone help me identify this?
  Before and after Peroxide. No not my hair!
  Bids not meeting reserve price on eBay
  Pink? Vermillon? 1894 1c Postage Due "Paper Color" is completely through the entire stamp?
  precancel postage dues
  Is this Bermuda 28 with wmk.3?
  Forwarding agent or Business
  Scott #445 (A140) Coil Stamp Perf 10 Horizontally Washington 3c Violet? Is it Type I or Type III ?
  Providence Rhode Island 5 Cent Stamp With Red Strands. Authentic?
  2 Cent Red Washington Without corner triangles?
  Rules to Classify Topical Subjects
  New stamp error in Germany (christmas stamp)
  Guatemala stamp ?? Thanks for your help !
  ASDA Mid-West Postage Stamp Show

1918 Poland German Overprint Poczta Polska Help
  Putting auction lots on extension?
  Inherited stamp collection
  Shipping overseas question
  Pink? Vermillon? 1894 1c Postage Due "Paper Color" is completely through the entire stamp?
  Forwarding agent or Business
  Collecting by Engraver
  Experience with Ott Light?
  My Dam Stamps
  Postage due cards to USA - rates ??
  for US addresses only posted overseas, & what is the odd number LHS?
  Cambodia Stamps : On Album Pages.
  Old Wells Fargo Local Stamp. Reprint or real?
  BRIDGES,BRIDGES,BRIDGES! on stamps
  The Stamps of Mongolia : On Album Pages.
  Anyone specialize in WW airmail?
  Latvian items of interest
  Scouting stamps from around the world
  Bids not meeting reserve price on eBay
  Famous Architects
  Arches, Columns & Gates on Stamps
  Layout of De La Rue Sheets of 240 on early British Colonies
  New Edition of Michel Zeppelin Catalog Coming Soon
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  K.B. Spezial Zeppelin Post Catalog

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05