Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why do you think we need an alternative to EBAY?  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
478 Posts
Posted 12/20/2016   7:45 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
We often have discussions about the creation of an alternative to eBay so I thought we could take a step back and try to determine what it is about eBay that makes an alternative desirable. What features would you like to see in the new marketplace.

I'll go 1st. I sell on eBay every week using the auction format. From this experience I can say that;

1. I am very satisfied with my sales,
2. The sales commissions are very reasonable at 6% (4.8% if Top Rated Seller)
3. The Ebay/Paypal/Shipping Label continuum works well for me.
4. Fast payments for sales.
5. As a seller I feel protected from scams and unscrupulous bidders.

Things I don't like;

1. Feedback system
2. Limited shipping options especially for low price items.
3. No filters on what can be sold or who can sell.
4. eBay's punitive nature towards sellers.
5. Can't report bad listings.

My primary complaint is that there are no filters on the people that sell or what they sell, take for example this gruesome offering;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-postag...AOSw44BYUdhz

I don't think anyone will buy this but it must impact eBay's credibility. There is no way to report these items and eBay shows no interest in self policing. To a lesser degree the clutter created by thousands and thousands of duplicative Fixed Price offerings are annoying.

On the other hand I have no reason to switch to Hipstamp or Del Campe and build up my business again. Most of these problems exist on these sites too.

What would you like to see either as a buyer or seller?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
492 Posts
Posted 12/20/2016   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay has limited sellers offerings to BIG sellers. When I first bought eBay stuff in the late 1990s you could get great stuff from "newbies" for next to nothing. Stuff you never see on eBay any more because these folks are priced out of the market. I rarely visit or buy on eBay anymore because there is mostly repeated junk; rarely are there new sellers with unique offerings at reasonable price.

For example, I like to buy stuff from my home town... McClusky ND, ... but mostly its now just repeat junk from the USS Mc Clusky, Scotland's soccer team, or some sort of unrelated books or CDs ... If I spend $5 on eBay in a year anymore it is a major purchase. That includes SFC seller items. I rarely visit them because of eBay.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 12/20/2016   9:38 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay is my first choice as a buyer, by about 100 miles. Most of my buying on eBay is for middling-type material; typically stamps cataloging under $100 or so (sometimes more) and in average "collector" grades. I can usually find several examples of just about any stamp I'm looking for and the prices and service from most sellers rivals any mail order dealer I've ever bought from. I hesitate to use eBay for higher-end or lower-end material, though. Cheap singles can be hard to find because eBay's selling rules don't make it practical for sellers to list them. I hesitate to buy higher-end stuff there (although I sometimes do) for fear of buying faulty or fraudulent material, particularly for certain issues.

Something eBay could do to improve the shopping experience would be to create many more sub-categories. The entire German area - a vast sphere of dozens of philatelic entities and specialties - is listed under "Germany and Colonies", which is far too broad. Simple browsing is out of the question and even searching can be difficult. eBay Germany has dozens of sub-categories under Germany and browsing and searching there is far easier. I mention Germany because I'm most familiar with it, but the same can be said for many other countries, such as France, Portugal, Italy, etc.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2137 Posts
Posted 12/20/2016   9:56 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To be fair there's probably not a lot of material coming out of a small town to be found on online sites and that can be said of many, many towns across the world. One can expect only so much. If you do find something, it's luck of the draw - feast or famine.

As for KRelyea's inquiry, there are filters - you can block sellers and buyers you don't like, you can sort listings by starting prices from high to low, you can use keyword searches to home in on what you are really looking for, and other methods. eBay is a very democratic system - anyone can sell or buy if they follow eBay's rules. No different than Craigslist, a flea market, newspaper classifieds or even a stamp show. Overpriced and underpriced material can be found anywhere. Anyone remember the old cover dealer John Nunes? Nice guy who died at a stamp show in Montreal. I never bought a thing from him at any show - overpriced. Basically, I'm just saying it's not eBay's issue - it's an issue anywhere.

Having said that, despite all the pros and cons, warts and all on eBay, I still find it the best place to sell stamps and covers. It's the largest market there is and it has something going for it that no other market, virtual or otherwise - it's the largest venue to sell philatelic material in a truly public realm. It's like we actually have a stamp store in the Mall of America instead of some small hole in the wall away from the public eye. It's a good way to expose people to philately who normally would never seek it out on their own. You won't get that on HipStamps and much less extent on Delcampe. Example, a person who collects things related to snowglobes could by a Swiss FDC with semi-postal stamps featuring snowglobes. It's happened to me. Some who collects ephemera about knives bought covers from me based on the sender's business. Many covers are purchased because of historical and genealogical ties - not because they have philatelic merit. I'm guessing those types of buyer's rarely venture to a stamp show, but eBay can bring all those people together. Name another site that can that.

As for improvements - fix eBay's feedback system. Delcampe has done some nice things. It has a very flexible feedback system. It's easy to use - more so than eBay's. Also Delcampe's category system is so much better than eBay's - light years ahead. If you want to end those pie in the sky listings with people trying to hawk cheap stamps for many thousands, bring back tiered listing fees. I'm sure some would think twice trying to list overpriced junk with $10 per item listing fees. eBay use to encourage 99 cent auctions with low and free listings. That would be more helpful. I used them for years with success.

eBay will do something about bad listings if they violate their rules. I reported one recently and it was removed in less than 24 hours. Overpriced junk isn't against the rules.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1237 Posts
Posted 12/20/2016   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How does one report a bad listing to eBay? The link on eBay to the right and below the item (report item) has choices that are not relevant and does not result in any action ever. What is the secret for your success?
Edited by redwoodrandy - 12/20/2016 10:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
229 Posts
Posted 12/20/2016   11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I just closed my store on EBAY-

1. Fees
2. Fees
3. Often FEE-bay will side with the customer: I didn't get my stamp. It was damaged. Not shown in picture.

Did I make a million on FEE-Bay? not even close. Was I hopefull? everyday-
Did I receive offer after offer for free listings? Of course, how else would they get me to list stamps and be locked in for 5-10 or more days to charge me.

I hate the fact that if you don't put a tracking number on a $2.00 stamp(cost $2.95)then FEE bay sides with the customer-

I sold a bunch(don't laugh) 300+ stamps and had fun--
I grew very tired of the endless-'you can't ship to that country', the upgrade your store and then:
I sold a bunch of stamps one week and was happier than one legged man in a jump rope contest; then the fees---I was working for the fee bay and not me. Maybe I needed to list 200,000 stamps to see a profit because after all the hours listing on that pain in a$% bulk lister program, postage and envelopes--it was a waste of time--oh and don't forget paypal--they get a piece of your pie and you get the fork!
good day
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 12/21/2016   12:02 am  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1. Fees
2. Fees
3. Often FEE-bay will side with the customer: I didn't get my stamp. It was damaged. Not shown in picture.

eBay has its warts, on both the buying and selling sides, and I'm not trying to talk you into reopening a store. But you have to compare it to an alternative. One could try opening their own e-commerce site, but that also costs money and there's the problem of getting traffic to your site, plus credit card or PayPal fees there, etc. Delcampe or HipStamp have their own advantages, but they also have some pretty big disadvantages vs. eBay as well. eBay could stand some major improvements in the stamp category specifically and how they do business in general. But warts and all it's by far the best venue for a part-time, home-based seller to sell stamps, and for a buyer, it's got by far the largest selection. Larger, more established dealers have more options at their disposal.

While I hate issuing refunds for claims of non-receipt as much as anyone, sellers have to realize that this policy benefits sellers by building confidence in buyers. If eBay sided with the seller in situations with no tracking, what would stop unscrupulous sellers from just never shipping anything? If that were allowed, buyers would desert eBay and all sellers would lose business. I know I've taken chances I wouldn't have otherwise, knowing that I could file a case with eBay or PayPal if things didn't work out. Buyer confidence is a key to anyone's business, and unfortunately sometimes it comes with a price. If you ship items with no tracking, issuing some refunds for claims of non-receipt is basically a cost of doing business.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1961 Posts
Posted 12/21/2016   02:46 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed. I remember selling off records by mail-order list twenty-odd years ago. A tiny group of prospective purchasers, and no possibility of items being bid up if I'd listed something rare in ignorance. And fiddling around with cheques and postal orders.

I sell around 50-100 lots per month, mostly cigarette cards, mostly to the UK and all as a private seller and at auction. I still find it amazing that, with relatively little effort on my part, these things can reach people across the world. I'd never use an eBay postage programme, and, yes, if things go astray, I have to bear the cost if I haven't used an expensive "guaranteed" service, but how often are things lost? Four or five items from a couple of thousand in the last couple of years, and none overseas.

I don't buy much on eBay, however - too few auctions and, as others have said, too many worthless, single items. I like decent-sized lots, whether if cards ir stamps, and I can find these more easily at traditional auction houses.
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
Posted 12/21/2016   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tvorog to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a buyer, I find that searches tuned to my collecting interests still allow me to find a few stamps or lots that I would bid on, though most of the good stuff on eBay is unreasonably overpriced (as anywhere else, to be fair). Still, sometimes there are people in a hurry to sell, or the patienca bubble of the greedy dealer bursts, and one can snipe several good lots before feeding frenzy begins.

As a seller on eBay, I have many complaints: fee listing opportunities are too limited, final fees are too high, eBay obviously is biased in favor of buyers, feedback system is unfair to sellers, support staff is unbelievably stupid sometimes, etc. All things considered, however, stamps do sell on eBay if the price is right, while on other sites (such as Delcampe) you can wait forever for a single offer.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2627 Posts
Posted 12/21/2016   09:52 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been on eBay since 1998, transactions split almost 50-50 as buyer vs. seller.

As a buyer I have few complaints:

1. Seemingly nonsensical changes to page design, frequently change for change's sake rather than improvements in usability.

2. Removal of wildcard searches. THE single most buyer-hostile change ever implemented by eBay. Absolutely unforgiveable. Searching for esoteric items is much more difficult than it used to be.

3. Rolling things out publicly without having been tested thoroughly.

As a seller, where do I begin:

1. Removal of 2-way feedback system and creating an entitlement-based community where sellers are almost at the mercy of disreputable buyers. Virtually all protections are on the side of the buyer.

2. Overreaching and sometimes draconian policies, frequently going beyond "just a venue" and into dictating how sellers must run their business(es).

3. Flat out lying on what constitutes improvements or benefits. Any time eBay claims they are rolling out improvements, expect a loss in functionality.

4. Horrible communication and support.

5. Shell game of seller feedback/stars/defects metrics as to what constitutes being a "good seller" actually entails.

6. Communicating one set of expectations to sellers and different one to buyers, geared towards reducing seller ratings across the board, thus reducing the seller discounts that eBay has to give out.

7. See #1 above.

8. See #3 above.

Unlike many of the previous posters, I have no problem with the fees. Same with PayPal fees. The world isn't free and people shouldn't expect it to be. Paying a reasonable price for utilizing services isn't somehow unfair, except in the mind of our entitled society.

Edited by revenuecollector - 12/21/2016 09:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5350 Posts
Posted 12/21/2016   10:07 am  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Removal of wildcard searches. THE single most buyer-hostile change ever implemented by eBay. Absolutely unforgiveable

Absolutely! I could not have worded that any better Revenuecollector!

BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Edited by BeeSee - 12/21/2016 10:07 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 12/21/2016   10:38 am  Show Profile Check smauggie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Functionality from the buyer perspective is so limited (especially in searches as mentioned previously) now I don't go there hardly anymore.

APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2627 Posts
Posted 12/21/2016   10:46 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Functionality from the buyer perspective is so limited (especially in searches as mentioned previously) now I don't go there hardly anymore.

I guess it all depends on what you collect. I have about 25 bookmarked eBay searches for specific items and another 75 or so saved searches with email notifications. I probably spend easily a half hour a day perusing eBay. From my perspective it is still a gold mine.

Some of my most fruitful searches are those conducted outside of the stamps categories...

Learn More...
2830 Posts
Posted 12/21/2016   11:02 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay did not pull the wildcard search plug to simply frustrate users, they moved away from wildcards for valid business reasons. First, they ported between the Cassini and Cassandra architectures. Full text wildcard searches are very expensive (in terms of SQL performance) and having hundreds of thousands of users running wildcard queries was impacting performance.

There was also rumors of a possible connection to social media and other advertisers. In other words eBay, just like every other web site in the world, has a vested interest in holding users on the site. The longer people linger, the more money they make in terms of click-through and other income producing online revenue streams (including auction sales which help eBay sellers but you don't hear anyone upset about that).

So it could be argued that eBay was faced with a simple decision; either raise prices or figure out how to reduce costs. They choose to reduce costs.

Developing and building a massive IT infrastructure that it takes to implement a worldwide online auction system the size of eBay would take billions of dollars. And there is no guarantee at all that it would be profitable. (It took Amazon nearly 20 years before it turned a profit.) And to now compete with worldwide impact would require deep pockets that rival budgets the size of most countries. Frankly I see no way that anyone will ever be able to compete with them, they got a head start and now have a death grip on the marketplace.

I know we all love to hate on eBay but we should not take them for granted. They do what they need to do to turn a profit for their shareholders, hold down costs, and offer immediate access to a world full of buyers. I recommend folks consider investing in some eBay stock shares; that way every time yourself getting angry at them as a buyer/seller you can at least be assured that they are actually working for you.
Don
Valued Member
Canada
249 Posts
Posted 12/21/2016   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay needs to quit micro-managing their sellers

eBay needs to quit making changes for the sake of change

Their site is becoming so old and slow, it is a joke. They need to upgrade everything about it.

Letting buyers punish seller is absolutely absurd.

They need to get rid of the scam buyers.

Stop catering to the Chinese and big box stores and giving them special privileges.

Stop treating Canada like a 3rd world country and thinking what works in the US must work in Canada, especially the tracking requirements as tracking here starts at around $15.00 unlike the US where it is dirt cheap.

Get rid of Cassini and the idea of showing buyers what eBay wants them to buy and go back to showing them what they are looking for.

I am glad people think philatelic sales are fine, but many categories are not doing fine if you read the US boards. Sales are awful for many small sellers and sellers of collectibles.

I have been on eBay since 1999 and have seen too many changes that do nothing for what made eBay what it is.

Many sellers including myself, are looking for other venues to sell on as eBay is no longer only a venue.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 12/21/2016   12:27 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sales are awful for many small sellers

I think this is, at least in part, a direct result of eBay's search function and how the stamp categories are laid out. As I mentioned earlier, searching for a specific stamp or set can be frustrating as buyers usually have to wade through endless unrelated listings to find what they're actually looking for. It's far easier and quicker to just keep an eye on certain large sellers who are likely to carry the kinds of items buyers want. As a result, smaller sellers simply don't get the eyeballs that larger sellers do.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Guatemala stamp ?? Thanks for your help !
  ASDA Mid-West Postage Stamp Show
  New Online US Stamp Mount Finder Tool
  Regumming stamps - Why do it?
  Norway used lot off paper. 440 stamps.
  Places with philatelic references
  Need Help with understanding cancels France Ceres
  Question about Pricing of Korean Stamps
  Help needed identifying stamp
  Image naming : How to remove first 4 characters.
  Hi All, Could I get a certificate if this is a 534b ?
  possible 554d 10perf Washington 2cent
  Please help with these British Overprints
  Layout of De La Rue Sheets of 240 on early British Colonies
  How did early collectors keep stamps MNH??
  Barbados 1985 Marine Life and 1994 Ships Issues - date varieties
  J1 vs. J15 stamp size?
  Hi, Can I have help ich I believe is a 504 b type V11
  Indian collection of Feudatory States
  Looking for a Revenue Dealer
  Qatar AIRLETTER Shaikh Ahmad Ali al Thani
  K.B. Spezial Zeppelin Post Catalog
  Dubai AIRLETTER 1963 of 10r Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed
  The Edward VII Issue of Canada: A detailed study by George C. Marler
  New member have a stamp for grabs

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Bicycles on Stamps...
  Guatemala stamp ?? Thanks for your help !
  Image naming : How to remove first 4 characters.
  How did early collectors keep stamps MNH??
  danish classics, show them to me.
  Prephilatelic covers - any interest? Show - tell - ask - explain!
  Pottery, Ceramics, Porcelain, and other clayware
  Post your Inauguration Day covers
  Barbados 1985 Marine Life and 1994 Ships Issues - date varieties
  ASDA Mid-West Postage Stamp Show
  Curious about Webstore anyone heard of or tried it?
  Please help with these British Overprints
  Indian collection of Feudatory States
  New Online US Stamp Mount Finder Tool
  Need Help with understanding cancels France Ceres
  Regumming stamps - Why do it?
  Cancel to order - why are they worth so little
  Question about Pricing of Korean Stamps
  Are Duplicates Worth Collecting?
  Norway used lot off paper. 440 stamps.
  Places with philatelic references
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Help needed identifying stamp
  1938 Jamaca Scott 116b Watermark Sideways cv $9000 does anybody know?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05