Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

FDC Ireland wrong date and what are these?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Austria
166 Posts
Posted 12/18/2016   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add decrynne to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Hi. My dad sometimes collected First day of issue stamps and sent them to us, his children. While searching through a pile of these I came across these 2 covers. One is clearly the wrong date- I have a cover from the same post office with the correct date too. And another FDC has me baffled entirely. Any ideas how unusual these are?
Thank you in advance for any info.

this with the wrong date

This with the correct date

And what is this?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1562 Posts
Posted 12/18/2016   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect FDC Eire but I would assume both are correct dates. The first being issued in 1998 at denomination 30 and the second in 1999 denominated 32.
The bottom one is of the FRAMA labels available from machines. Many countries tried the FRAMA labels including GB.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1562 Posts
Posted 12/18/2016   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course both stamped ones are postmarked with normal counter datestamps and not specific FDC ones. That could explain the date of the first one which could have been posted on that date (PDC date was in January 1998).
Valued Member
Austria
166 Posts
Posted 12/18/2016   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add decrynne to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scotzm. Both of the love stamp covers have a different cancellation saying first day of issue that do not tie the stamps, as with all of the covers cancelled by our local post office. You can see cancel on the right of the top picture, the other cover has it on the left. Thanks for the info about the Frama cover, I had never heard of it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1562 Posts
Posted 12/18/2016   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can see the top one has a cachet saying First day of issue but the stamps themselves are cancelled with a normal Athenry counter datestamp and presumably that was on the 6th of May 1998. Actually the top cover has none of the stamps cancelled as the Athenry counter datestamp only ties the attached labels of the stamps.
Edited by scotzm - 12/18/2016 5:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1562 Posts
Posted 12/18/2016   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GB FRAMA labels

Valued Member
Austria
166 Posts
Posted 12/18/2016   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add decrynne to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am smiling that you recognised it is Athenry. Here is a pic of both covers together.

Valued Member
Austria
166 Posts
Posted 12/18/2016   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add decrynne to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the first day of issue of these stamps is in Jan '98... but not sure
Pillar Of The Community
541 Posts
Posted 12/19/2016   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is really great to have such things that were sent to you by your father. If your question as to how unusual these are pertains to whether they may have commercial value as Irish first day covers then the answer is they would have only a token value to collectors - perhaps one or two Euros or dollars if you could find a willing buyer. However, as a remembrance of your da they are priceless tp you and your family and you should hold onto them and buy a nice album designed to hold such covers to protect them
Valued Member
Austria
166 Posts
Posted 12/19/2016   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add decrynne to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kimo. No, they will not be for sale. They will be past on to my son who will probably ignore them for a long time before he decides to have a look I imagine. If he does look he will discover that every so often my dad would write a few lines about the way we were and the things we got up to as children :)
Valued Member
Ireland
15 Posts
Posted 12/25/2016   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There were two issues of Greetings Stamps booklets in 1998.
The first 2.56 was issued in January and featured eight stamps x32p.
The cost of postage went down (unusually) during 1998 and a second booklet 2.40 was issued during summer. Eight stamps x 30p
Valued Member
Austria
166 Posts
Posted 12/30/2016   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add decrynne to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Fitz. So the correct date after all :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Where can I find information on the value of this stamp
  Could these really be 634b??
  Sulfurized, oxidized 3c 1851-57 stamps. Is there a safe method to refresh the color?
  Chinese stamp I/D needed
  GB King Gv clarifications needed
  Possible 177 Special Printing?
  Share of a Nice double Var Small Queen 44a/ii
  "British Occupation of Iraq" Stamps - Where do they belong?
  Found sealed 2003 Old Glory Booklet bundle in late father's storage. I know nothing about stamps
  Hungarian Post Office Branch numbers
  Need details over Uruguay Air Tax from 1953 to 1959
  Farwell 409b coils never heard them, any ideas?
  Need informations over Air Tax from Colombia 1955 to 1959
  Brazil rates 1946-1950 : need details !
  Scott numbers for issue 19th december 2016 Argentina ?
  Travancore Anchel on SS overprint
  Stamp Fallen off at Toronto handstamp
  Ebay Stamp Sales Totals Last 90 Days
  British stamp mistery
  1897 Canada High Value Jubilees Opinions and Values please?
  Another stamp that needs to be identified...
  Grill help needed 15 cent Lincoln
  Need help on saving stamps
  US Scotts 312 - offered on ebay - not
  Help identifying Greek stamp

Where can I find information on the value of this stamp
  Could these really be 634b??
  Ebay Stamp Sales Totals Last 90 Days
  Found sealed 2003 Old Glory Booklet bundle in late father's storage. I know nothing about stamps
  Sulfurized, oxidized 3c 1851-57 stamps. Is there a safe method to refresh the color?
  1897 Canada High Value Jubilees Opinions and Values please?
  "British Occupation of Iraq" Stamps - Where do they belong?
  Mail from Hungary- Four weeks and waiting
  Free Magnifier from KoalaStamps with every member review
  British stamp mistery
  Any interest in world Postal Stationery?
  Possible 177 Special Printing?
  GB King Gv clarifications needed
  Chinese stamp I/D needed
  Farwell 409b coils never heard them, any ideas?
  A peroxide transformation
  Another stamp that needs to be identified...
  Travancore Anchel on SS overprint
  Doves as Symbols of Peace
  US Scotts 312 - offered on ebay - not
  Arches, Columns & Gates on Stamps
  Stamp Fallen off at Toronto handstamp
  ENVELOPES on stamps!
  Show us your U.S. revenue SOTN/bullseye cancels!
  Share of a Nice double Var Small Queen 44a/ii

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.75 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05