Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking for some help for some old and very rare stamps  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United Kingdom
80 Posts
Posted 12/09/2016   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add James45 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys, I'm looking for some help.

I have inherited an old stamp book (Mid 1800's - 1914), finding it very difficult to verify. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!(Photo's to follow)

1. 2x 1863 Costa Rica - Medio Real - Dos Realis.

2. Confederate States 1861 2cents blue New Orleans J.L Riddell.

Camera is playing up but will add photo's tomorrow (10/12/16) morning.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
2123 Posts
Posted 12/09/2016   1:16 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Costa Rica stamps are worth very little. Lots of people here will be able to advise you on the Confederate stamps - real or fake, rough value etc - once you post pictures.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
341 Posts
Posted 12/09/2016   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you have a flat bed scanner, by chance, scans are better for stamps than photos.

concur with Geoff that the Costa Rica stamps are of minimal monetary value (though if the stamps are used there is a potential for a scarce cancellation or postmark).
The Confederate item, if genuine, is Scott 62X1 (2012 catalog value $225 if unused, $550 used, but condition matters tremendously). Those stamps have been forged so closer look will be necessary.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
520 Posts
Posted 12/09/2016   10:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also for the Confederate Stamps, you might check out this resource: http://www.csalliance.org/
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6065 Posts
Posted 12/09/2016   11:17 pm  Show Profile Check jamesw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You should explore Trish Kaufmann's website too, for the Confederate stamps.

http://www.trishkaufmann.com
Valued Member
United Kingdom
80 Posts
Posted 12/23/2016   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James45 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe thew french styamp is a 1frank, type 2, according to book. The overprint chinese stamp is a 2cents, and the confederate forgery.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
731 Posts
Posted 12/23/2016   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
James: your French stamp would be of very minimal value due to damage. Note the trimmed perforations along the top; upper right; and lower left. I sometimes keep damaged stamps like this one if there is an interesting, and legible, cancel. I can't see the cancel well here, on the scan.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
80 Posts
Posted 01/07/2017   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James45 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i have a few early japanese stamps. the first is 5r overstamped in red. the second is 2 sen colour drab. both 1876. then up to 1900 another twenty. are they worth investigation.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4103 Posts
Posted 01/07/2017   3:37 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
James, pleas post a scan.

Peter
Valued Member
United Kingdom
80 Posts
Posted 01/13/2017   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James45 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i have a few edward seventh halfpenny and penny stamps all mint. afew in blocks of six. so far I have discovered thre that are inverted. how do I find out their sg number?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
80 Posts
Posted 01/13/2017   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James45 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
peter I replied to your last request and posted photos.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4103 Posts
Posted 01/13/2017   3:16 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
James, Sorry for the delay. My wife can not walk and needs lots of attention - I did not immediately see your last post.
As far as the picture goes, it is pretty lousy. I can not tell what the underlying stamp is.
If you can figure out what country it is? Try looking it up on http://stampworld.com and let us know what year it is.

Peter
Valued Member
United Kingdom
80 Posts
Posted 01/13/2017   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James45 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sorry to hear of your problem you dont bother about me till you are back on an even keel.i really wish that your good lady imroves.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
2123 Posts
Posted 01/13/2017   4:20 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can find SG numbers for these in the concise GB catalogue, older copies of which turn up cheap on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...gue&_sacat=0
Valued Member
United Kingdom
80 Posts
Posted 01/13/2017   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James45 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you very much geoff.if it wasnt for assistance.im sure my stamps would have been out the window long ago, that could still be a possibility. thanks again.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
80 Posts
Posted 01/13/2017   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James45 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi geoff. am I missing some thing. iwent to e.bay and picked out a book.it was three pounds . free postage. when I tried to buy it they wanted forty four pounds!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Can collecting be a great investment as well as a great interest?
  Sorting through a shoebox of mixed world stamps
  1906-08 MLH guide line pair scott #314 schermack perforation.help me value my line pair?
  Auxiliary Handstamp: CALLED OUT
  Unknown stamp red no value
  Don't be deceived by this odd item
  1934 Stamp Club Menu overprint
  Selling $3 Columbian on Delcampe....
  Steiner pages for Canada
  Australian Penny Red (2)
  Getting Acquainted with Collecting
  New one and two cent acquisitions
  Founded collectable British one pennys
  Large and not so large margins in some stamps
  Canada Post new 150 anniversary series admail
  Austria Lombardy Venetia 2 Soldi Imperf???
  Old Swiss & Austrian & Hungarian Stamps
  RUSSIAN EMPIRE: 4k rose with curious background
  is it variety color left stamp I mean
  Help needed to identify Russian postmark
  Singapore SG85? equal Scott 57b?
  Gunshot wound freak? I cannot tell.
  Canada: New Star Trek Stamps
  After 15 years I lost the enjoyment
  NFR17 perf 12 - Anyone recognize this part-perfin?

Getting Acquainted with Collecting
  Auxiliary Handstamp: CALLED OUT
  BRIDGES,BRIDGES,BRIDGES! on stamps
  Can collecting be a great investment as well as a great interest?
  Belgium 1946 Provisional Surcharges
  1934 Stamp Club Menu overprint
  Reverse print on reverse!
  After 15 years I lost the enjoyment
  Sorting through a shoebox of mixed world stamps
  Show Us Your Completed Album Pages!
  1906-08 MLH guide line pair scott #314 schermack perforation.help me value my line pair?
  New one and two cent acquisitions
  Don't be deceived by this odd item
  Nice Cancel, slogan or Postmark?
  Unmarked Missent cover
  Australian Penny Red (2)
  Gallatin Tennessee Postmaster Provisional Question
  Unknown stamp red no value
  belgium---postal forgery ?
  More philatelic butchery
  Gunshot wound freak? I cannot tell.
  Purchased this cover today at thrift store!
  Four to Eight Weeks for Mail from Canada- Huh??
  Steiner pages for Canada
  Have another beer stamp!

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.87 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05