Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

APS Disciplinary Actions trend  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
2638 Posts
Posted 12/08/2016   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
The APS lists ‘Disciplinary Actions' on the website for years 1995 through 2106. It is a listing of suspended/reprimanded and expelled American Philatelic Society members. When I compiles the list, I noted an interesting trend and would like to hear opinions on what others think what explain it.

There has been a clear drop off in the number of members who are listed each year. During the same time period there was a corresponding drop in membership but this does not seem to track well with this trend. The year 1999 saw the largest number of actions with 40, last year was the lowest with just 1, this year there have been just 2. As the chart below shows there has been a large trending decline in the number of disciplinary actions.

I somehow doubt that human nature has changed over this time period and would expect the number of annual actions to be roughly the same as a percentage of total members. In fact, I expected a possible increase in this time period since the number of members who have turned into ‘dealers' by listing online has certainly increased over the same time period; giving more opportunity for ethical breeches. A cynical opinion might assume that APS has lowered the ethical standards so not to add to the declining membership ranks (hopefully this is not the case).

Does anyone have a more intimate knowledge of any changes in how Disciplinary Actions may have were tallied during this time period and could explain this trend?

Does anyone know if this list published on the website is complete for these years?

Do staff changes impact the number of Disciplinary Actions?

Anyone have other opinion(s) on what we are seeing here?
Don
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
Posted 12/08/2016   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knuppster59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dumb theory here....declining memberhip = lower money on hand to pursue disciplinary cases? Also, maybe it is not a high risk area and resources are being allocated elsewhere. Again, I don't know much about the whole process so these are very high level thoughts.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
411 Posts
Posted 12/08/2016   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ldhaber to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Simple, Since 1995 there has been an increasingly higher volume of sales through non-traditional, online venues such as eBay by sellers who are either not APS members or do not advertise their APS member. Hence defrauded buyers do not pursue the issue through the APS either because they are unaware of the seller's APS status, the buyer is not an APS member, or the buyer gets a refund through eBay and is satisfied with the result.
Edited by ldhaber - 12/08/2016 09:25 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5314 Posts
Posted 12/08/2016   09:36 am  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with ldhaber. Years ago most of my philatelic purchases were from APS dealer members. Now most of mine are done online, through non-members, or I do not even know if they are members.

BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 12/08/2016   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One additional possible variable - eBay and the history of the eBay stamp police so to speak, such as Bill Weiss. The big spike around 1999 or so, lines up with the early days of the wild west eBay. The stamp community was very actively policing eBay and may have hit a few APS members in the process. Over time, for obvious reasons, the level of engagement on eBay policing has gone down.

Also, unrelated, over time there have been a few well-documented criminal cases such as the bid shilling ring of dealers who were prosecuted some time ago. I don't have any data, but I have to believe several were probably APS members - such an event like that will cause a spike for a given year - but is not a trend (we hope).
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2859 Posts
Posted 12/08/2016   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to take a wacky positive PoV:

Perhaps the ease of refunds thru eBay/PayPal has established a new "just give them their money back" ethos that has propagated out into the larger hobby.

1) APS-member dealers were compelled to adopt the instant-easy-return-and-refund policy for eBay sales, and

2) saw that the world did not come to an end (got accustomed to it), and

3) extended it to all of their customers, reducing the grounds for complaints.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Edited to add: The 1995-2002 numbers are volatile, but are clearly varying about a stable mean. It is from 2002 that we see a steady decline.
Edited by ikeyPikey - 12/08/2016 2:35 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
427 Posts
Posted 12/08/2016   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What you need to know is how many complaints have been received and resolved without requiring disciplinary action.

Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1901 Posts
Posted 12/08/2016   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another answer: Most of the people on the discipline list are there for "failure settle philatelic indebtedness". I suspect most of those are not rogue dealers but rather irresponsible buyers. There is little chance an irresponsible/criminal online buyer will get netted by the APS.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2557 Posts
Posted 12/19/2016   06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two reasons for the change, eBay and PAYPAL now handle more disputes maybe as much as 100X more ,people no longer need the APS to get involued . Second their is a bigger pool of buyers who are not APS members and don't know about the APS services .The old story of don't sell junk to a society member wait for a "bunny" to come along .
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  San Marino. Series on cover/ airmail questions.
  Is this a Franch colony stamp?
  Stamps of the Etappengebiet West
  1962 Great Britain Stampex Sheet
  Where can I find information on the value of this stamp
  Could these really be 634b??
  Sulfurized, oxidized 3c 1851-57 stamps. Is there a safe method to refresh the color?
  Chinese stamp I/D needed
  GB King Gv clarifications needed
  Possible 177 Special Printing?
  Share of a Nice double Var Small Queen 44a/ii
  "British Occupation of Iraq" Stamps - Where do they belong?
  Found sealed 2003 Old Glory Booklet bundle in late father's storage. I know nothing about stamps
  Hungarian Post Office Branch numbers
  Need details over Uruguay Air Tax from 1953 to 1959
  Farwell 409b coils never heard them, any ideas?
  Need informations over Air Tax from Colombia 1955 to 1959
  Brazil rates 1946-1950 : need details !
  Scott numbers for issue 19th december 2016 Argentina ?
  Travancore Anchel on SS overprint
  Stamp Fallen off at Toronto handstamp
  Ebay Stamp Sales Totals Last 90 Days
  British stamp mistery
  1897 Canada High Value Jubilees Opinions and Values please?
  Another stamp that needs to be identified...

A peroxide transformation
  Ebay Stamp Sales Totals Last 90 Days
  Sulfurized, oxidized 3c 1851-57 stamps. Is there a safe method to refresh the color?
  US Scotts 312 - offered on ebay - not
  Sweden and Denmark will no longer print engraved stamps
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Found sealed 2003 Old Glory Booklet bundle in late father's storage. I know nothing about stamps
  San Marino. Series on cover/ airmail questions.
  Is this a Franch colony stamp?
  Need help on saving stamps
  British stamp mistery
  Small contest - whats cool about these Mauritius stamps?
  Stamp Fallen off at Toronto handstamp
  Show us your U.S. revenue SOTN/bullseye cancels!
  Share of a Nice double Var Small Queen 44a/ii
  Nice mint stamps without gum
  "British Occupation of Iraq" Stamps - Where do they belong?
  20th century U.S. revenue plate varieties... nonexistent or no one cares?
  Stamps of the Etappengebiet West
  Need informations over Air Tax from Colombia 1955 to 1959
  Let's see your most recently purchased stamps
  Hands On Stamps
  danish classics, show them to me.
  BRIDGES,BRIDGES,BRIDGES! on stamps
  Doves as Symbols of Peace

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.61 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05