Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What are Your Thoughts on Stamp "Grading"?  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
Posted 12/07/2016   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
boy I cant wait for the lions and the tigers and especially those Elephants-I really like them!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
Posted 12/07/2016   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

And don't forget this ONE of only one hundred--is it real? Fake?

Valued Member
106 Posts
Posted 12/07/2016   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Magguss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a matter of perspective in my opinion. If I had powerball money, I would have no desire to buy a $100,000,000 yacht. I would buy a $5 for $500 to satisfy my OCD demons in a heart beat. I collect stamps more to collect and enjoy rather than investment. Mostly because I don't have a ton of money, I don't have a lot to even get horrible looking space fillers. But on more common stamps I've paid a fair more for a nicer looking stamp than the one I have. Those that do pay big money for well centered and fault free stamps for thousands of dollars are just in a higher tax bracket than me. I feel graded stamps would be more of a focus point for me. If I could buy a stamp that was the highest graded stamp recorded, I would buy it if I could, only because I would know that I couldn't get a nicer looking stamp when I flip through my album.
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
Posted 12/07/2016   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paul78703 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My eye is as good for determining the eye appeal of a stamp as is the eye of any "professional" stamp grader, so I consider grading stamps to be stupid, frankly, and intended, primarily, to (a) make a quick buck and (b) push up the prices of common stamps.

Now, authenticating the genuineness of a stamp is a completely different matter. A certificate of authenticity from a reputable firm is always welcome in this hobby.
Edited by paul78703 - 12/07/2016 7:46 pm
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
Posted 12/07/2016   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, grading is like with coins--Novice buyer are buying the 'slab' or the grade of Sup-89 and not the beauty of the stamp. Or the stamp needed for that collection. And yes, in my area of fun, authenticated stamps are a must when you get into the high dollar stuff-protects the seller as well as the buyer---
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3407 Posts
Posted 12/07/2016   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Graded coins do not destroy multiples. Graded stamps frequently have, and continue to do so every day. Including rare multiples. Helping to ruin the hobby every day.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1219 Posts
Posted 12/08/2016   01:07 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Following your logic, anything smaller than a complete sheet is a crime and stamp collectors are ruining postal history collecting.
Learn More...
2950 Posts
Posted 12/08/2016   01:07 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...And yes, in my area of fun, authenticated stamps are a must...

Just to be clear, getting a certification or authentication document is different than grading.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2896 Posts
Posted 12/08/2016   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Following your logic, anything smaller than a complete sheet is a crime and stamp collectors are ruining postal history collecting ...

I, for one, don't follow your following.

I don't see anyone actively campaigning against cutting-up a 3x3 block of utterly common stamps to make a jumbo; it would be dumb, but it would be no more consequential to philately than using the same stamps in a collage or a lamp shade, and the fact that it would be inconsequential financially is probably all the brake we need to hold the trend in check.

And I don't see anyone actively campaigning against ever breaking-up a sheet or a block, because four people getting to own one stamp has some benefit over one person owning a block of four, especially in an age where the plating information need not be irretrievably lost.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
710 Posts
Posted 12/08/2016   3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Grading is a world class rip-off, IMHO, and designed solely to push up prices of common stamps.

GeoffHA: I have seen a few Canadian graded stamps, but I agree that it's basically a USA thing.
Valued Member
United States
421 Posts
Posted 12/29/2016   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Crouse27 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a great thread juxtaposing the grading of coins, which is about 20 years more mature, to stamp numerical third party grading. It's a niche that will grow with time and, as with most things, there are a few bad apples that can be called out which the politicians rightly draw attention toward.
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
Posted 12/29/2016   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paul78703 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Grading and encapsulating coins makes some sense, because, for one thing, no one has ever invented a safe, convenient "album" for coins, and collecting them in "slabs" is safe and convenient. Not so with stamps. And, really, anyone can "grade," or assess the attractiveness of, a stamp. It's all about eye appeal, nothing more. Does the stamp look fresh? Is the gum intact? Are the perfs intact? Is the centering attractive? Overall, does the stamp look good? Not so good? Etc.

I stand by my previously stated opinion that grading stamps is intended (a) to push up the price of common stamps and (b) to separate chumps from their money. The professional "graders" are no more than hucksters. I read the hooey on PSE's website and almost burst out laughing.

The dealers who sell graded common stamps for a small fortune to the unwary want the unwary to think that they have something "special" and valuable, when in reality they have nothing more than a nice common stamp.

"Expertising," on the other hand, is totally different and legitimate, of course.
Edited by paul78703 - 12/30/2016 3:31 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
163 Posts
Posted 12/30/2016   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Totally agree with Paul78703. Why do you need to pay anyone to tell you what you can see with your own eyes
Valued Member
United States
421 Posts
Posted 12/31/2016   11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Crouse27 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of my coin friends who is a savvy experienced collector, laments whenever he goes to the big coin shows he cannot find any raw nice grade coins. Everything that is nicer quality is "already slabbed" and priced at its absolute book price. He misses the days when a savvy astute collector could find undergraded coins at attractive prices that a dealer missed. It was rare to do that though as far more common was finding overgraded, problematic, overpriced coins that lead to dealer delight upon sale and buyers remorse later on.

Most uncommon coins that are not encapsulated and numerically graded these days are collector coins at lower grades or with problems. They may or may not be appropriately described and priced by the dealer.

Purpose of referencing coin grading in this thread is that there are parallels to stamps. Numerical stamp grading will continue much to the chagrin of some who just see the rotten apple exceptions that unfortunately occur with stamps (and coins too to this day). Those examples are poor for the hobby and do disservice. Keep in mind it is dealers who espouse this, and not the third party grading firms. We should blame the shooter, and not the gun manufacturer.

There are very nice coin albums by the way that protect coins as well as stamps. Dansco are an example. And coin albums have been around for a longer time than has grading and encapsulating. Coins are far less delicate than stamps but one reason coin collectors might like numerical third party grading is it provides a less biased opinion on condition, it protects the coin, there are competitive registries that build commeraderi and shared accomplishment, and values are well documented and easily accessed.

Stamp grading still has a long way to go to catch up with coin grading maturity, but 15 years into the journey it has done far more good for philately than harm. Some who are novice may get burned by a few ultra common ultra high priced "gems" sold by some dealers, but many others will find great enjoyment, challenge, commeraderi, and even potential rewards from pursuing third party numerically graded stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
610 Posts
Posted 01/01/2017   02:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One Word = SCAM!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Expect fewer stamps on your mail
  About Stamp memories
  United Nations 1948-1973
  Scott catalog 2018 edition to be 12 volumes
  Queen Victoria Penny Red Identification
  gernany - 1922 -1923 3000 Mk - blackish brown ??
  Need one more of these.
  Help with a US Internal revenue, series of 1875 - private?
  Advice for selling an Inherited collection on Ebay
  Print your own pages (like Steiner) but in SG format?
  1870 GB #58 where is the plate number?
  Set of 1932 Sydney Harbour Bridge stamps
  Spain - 75th Anniversary - Revenue?
  Request to Post Avatar
  Rare unique combination of cracked plates
  October 1862 Revenue Canx - Let's see them!
  Latvia New Year Postcards--Humorous? Quirky?
  Double and Triple Transfers
  Need advice on how to start a collection the 'right way'
  Want Lists Online? Etc...
  Cape of Good Hope : Revenues.
  Buying USA Discount Postage Stamps
  Need help identifying these stamps
  200 Reís Brazilian stamp. Any info on this?
  Medallion One Cent Blue?

Let's see your most recently purchased stamps
  Double and Triple Transfers
  Scott catalog 2018 edition to be 12 volumes
  Advice for selling an Inherited collection on Ebay
  PMGS Stamp Album Page Generator for Scribus v1.2
  What FISH stamps do you have???
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  1870 GB #58 where is the plate number?
  Need help identifying these stamps
  APS selling membership lists?
  Sailboats
  Mystic stamp's inventory of current US used stamps
  Expect fewer stamps on your mail
  About Stamp memories
  Stamps on owls
  ROUND Stamps!
  Glass and Art
  Has anyone bought stamp mixes from Nordfrim?
  Cover Calendar for month and day -PICS
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Print your own pages (like Steiner) but in SG format?
  Which catalogue is correct..???
  Auction Purchase Destroyed in Mail, Is Anyone Liable?
  Stamp Smarter March Contest
  A few Album Binder Reviews -

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.67 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05