Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What are Your Thoughts on Stamp "Grading"?  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
122 Posts
Posted 12/05/2016   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add paul78703 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
What are your thoughts on "professional" stamp "grading"? I do not know anything about the various grading services (as opposed to the stamp authentication services) -- I have been away from philately for a long while -- but the idea of grading stamps strikes me as intended primarily to push up the prices of stamps, even, or maybe especially, newer issues. For example, I recently saw one dealer advertising a common stamp, which normally sells for about 50 cents, for $40 because a grading service gave the stamp a "95." To me, that's crazy!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4092 Posts
Posted 12/05/2016   7:13 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All you have to do is search for the word "grading" on this forum and you can read all about it!
Personally I do not care much for the whole idea.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
944 Posts
Posted 12/05/2016   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Save your money and go by the descriptions and illustrations in the Scott Catalog.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knuppster59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My thoughts....I hate it!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
861 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Meh. Sometimes my wife wants a Chanel bag, sometimes she wants a Kate Spade. Graded stamps are the luxury segment of a market that doesn't suffer for its existence. I've grown to appreciate it as a way to drive enough revenue to dealers to keep them in business to supply me with non-graded stamps was well. In other words, if the big spenders and "investors" want to pay those prices to partly subsidize my buys of good-quality mid-priced classics, that's fine with me.

Chris
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knuppster59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My main beef is when a block or multiple stamps are doctored/broken apart in order to achieve a higher grade single stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1770 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   11:15 am  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will probably never buy a professionally graded stamp, but grading serves a certain purpose. The main benefit of grading is for those who want to play at the very high end of the market. With huge differences in price due to minor differences in centering, having a 3rd party service slap a grade on it removes much of the doubt on behalf of a buyer. Any seller can sell a stamp as SUPERB! and try and sell it for a multiple catalog value. Buyers are understandably reluctant to pay multiples of CV without some sort of assurance that they're actually getting what they think they're getting. If you're content with "average" F/FV stamps and expect to buy at less than catalog value, there is no need for grading. Your own eyes will suffice.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
573 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kuhli to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, graded stamps are a detriment to the hobby. while I get that graded stamps are an "investment" (many of the high graded "rare" stamps are locked away in vaults, seldom seen, even when transferred from one owner/investor to another), and not a hobby, when they are "traded" with publicity, it hurts the hobby. people with little/no interest in the hobby will see a high-graded rare stamp sold for 5-figure (or more) numbers, and suddenly think grandpa's old collection must be worth a fortune. once the reality that grandpa's collection is worth barely enough to cover this months car payment, not only does the little/no interest dwindle, it also creates animosity and bias against the hobby as a whole.
Valued Member
Canada
110 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oceanguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand the basics of grading, but I have a hard time distinguishing very minor differences. I do wonder how they come up with the different numeric values they assign at the higher end of the spectrum. Perhaps measuring margins while under high magnification?
Valued Member
United States
391 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DJCMHOH to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp grading to me just seems a way for collectors who are fortunate to have large disposable incomes to spend on the hobby trumpet the fact that they own "the best quality known" to their immediate collector friends or even the wider community as a whole. Grading is as much about the ego of the collector as it is about the intrinsic quality of the items being graded.

Just my 2 cents on the issue.

APS #173088
Check out my philately blog at http://djcmhphilately2.blogspot.com/
Valued Member
China
249 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it a US-only phenomenon? I have never once seen a Canadian graded stamp for sale (and very very few US stamps as well). I hope it doesn't catch on in Canada.
Valued Member
United States
23 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   11:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On top of grading, the whole gum situation is overblown too.
MNH I get, but once you are nogum, lightly hinged, heavily hinged, or regum you compromised the seal. In the words of willy wonka- you lose, you get nothing-good day sir!

It's not mint. These botched stamps should then be priced starting at downward of 100% used catalog. This is the same thing as giving everyone's kid a trophy. If you have a never mailed stamp, but someone stuck a hinge on it 40 years ago, then they used it, though not for mailing- Too bad it's not mint. And ya know what, the elite trumpeteering collectors don't think these stamps are either.

These stamps, except for the rarities, (the ratings from Good to just below Superb) are remarketed in an attempt to get stamps in the hands of collectors that just do not hold weight or real investor value. Stamp investing essentially writes these off as wallpaper. These scraps are where the dealers have duped their buyers by selling wares at 60% of catalog, and purchasing at 20%. Catalog has no meaning. You are better off writing a computer program aggregating data from SAN and eBay to tell you what things go for.

I believe it is this state of affairs, the modern disregard for issuing quality stamps including bugs bunny, self adhesives, the fact that USPS has pushed worthless garbage collector series wares for decades, and the fact that mailing letters in general is approaching obsolescence has dragged the hobby into a much smaller niche. I anticipate it getting worse, as more old collectors die, their collections hacked up, and there being a glutton of stamps with no new collectors to reboot.

Edited by rismoney - 12/06/2016 11:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
610 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Necessary for the person who has no knowledge or confidence in their ability to judge stamps. OR, to quote P. T. Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute."
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1770 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   11:58 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These stamps, except for the rarities, (the ratings from Good to just below Superb) are remarketed in an attempt to get stamps in the hands of collectors that just do not hold weight or real investor value. Stamp investing essentially writes these off as wallpaper.

There's no doubt that if you want the best return on your investment, money-wise, that NH is the only way to go. There's a limited quantity and a lot of people chasing them, so the only way to go is up, at least in theory. For those hinged stamps that might not bring a great monetary return, there's a different kind of return on investment, i.e. actually owning the stamps rather than just looking at empty spaces. Many collectors have decided they would rather fill more spaces than to have fewer stamps but in perfect condition. The purpose of the hobby is to get enjoyment, and owning a more complete collection is a reward in and of itself. That being said, the smarter investment, monetarily, is definitely to have a smaller but premium quality collection.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
2112 Posts
Posted 12/07/2016   01:59 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tom

I think it's a US-only phenomenon, fortunately. I also see cigarette cards graded (not just for centring, but often over-generously) by an organisation called the PSA. These are then encased (not sure how you then fit them into a collection) and marketed with fancy prices, probably to the gullible, eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1934-Garb...AOSwcLxYEUq3

Geoff
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
Posted 12/07/2016   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Ahhem...
I have the high dollar stamps graded/slabed for a small fee to ensure a quality product.

Certified doesn't have to be millions of dollars-just a sound investment-

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  2016 UNESCO World Heritage Sites Booklet of 30
  I have a bunch of first day of Issue stamped envelopes with pic uploaded
  First day of issue stamped envelope
  Bogus Chas Osgood Canx???
  Canada 1875 Registered 2c orange (ScF#1) What variety?
  1946- Chinese second issue Junker 200.00 on $5- is this an Error Stamp?
  C16 block with "Ghost" Plate numbers?
  Giveaway - Mystic American Heirloom Pages 2000-2013
  Subway Nassau Binders Discontinued
  Gallatin Tennessee Postmaster Provisional Question
  What makes a stamp dealer successful?
  What stamp collection dispersal instructions for our families do we have
  One Penny Queen Victoria stamp
  Nice find. J20, Block of 4
  Stanley Gibbons Catalogue Pages
  Assistance with a couple Spain SS sheets
  More M&M Facsimiles and Other Collateral
  American Bank Note Specimens
  Identifying RN-A1 or RN-A3
  Going through family collection
  Need Belgium COB #s for these Scott #'s
  Sometimes you actually do want to remove revenue stamps from a document/piece.
  Reverse print on reverse!
  Scott National Album Organization
  I'm curious about 3 issues

Canada 1875 Registered 2c orange (ScF#1) What variety?
  What stamp collection dispersal instructions for our families do we have
  Giveaway - Mystic American Heirloom Pages 2000-2013
  BRIDGES,BRIDGES,BRIDGES! on stamps
  2016 UNESCO World Heritage Sites Booklet of 30
  Reverse print on reverse!
  I have a bunch of first day of Issue stamped envelopes with pic uploaded
  Kuwait
  1946- Chinese second issue Junker 200.00 on $5- is this an Error Stamp?
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Gallatin Tennessee Postmaster Provisional Question
  Going through family collection
  First day of issue stamped envelope
  C16 block with "Ghost" Plate numbers?
  New to forum- question about 100 coil no die cut forever flags
  US 1800's page real of fake page of stamps - where they Photoshopped in?
  Catalogs and Forgery Book
  Bogus Chas Osgood Canx???
  Super Size Taxpaid Revenues
  Double and Triple Transfers
  Stamps portraying Paleontology
  Lets see your Aviation Stamps
  Bugs, Insects, & Creepy Crawlies
  Urban Legends of Philately
  What makes a stamp dealer successful?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05