Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A few Album Binder Reviews -  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
1215 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've noticed some European based sellers selling to Americans on eBay or Amazon will ship European 4-ring binders to U.S. buyers. This happened to me and return shipping, once I found out the mistake, was just too expensive. You can still put Vario stock sheets in these European 4-ring binders because LH punches them for both four and three hole use. But if you were planning to use the binder for three-ring U.S. paper, you'd be out of luck.

As I mentioned before, this happened to me. The source was shipped from the U.S., but they were in fact four rings, which was a surprise to me.

My solution was to obtain a four hole paper puncher, and re-punch the Steiner pages. That worked, but I don't want to that again.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page

Classical era collecting with the Blues
http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
485 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As I mentioned before, this happened to me. The source was shipped from the U.S., but they were in fact four rings, which was a surprise to me.

There is a seller on Amazon that states 3 ring in the description then down below it says 4 ring. One reviewer even noted the issue since they returned. Their description got me confused with Grande and G binders as if the same.

https://www.amazon.com/Lighthouse-C...+grande

Al
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paul78703 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought my Vario F binder directly from Lighthouse, during their current sale, after studying their online catalog. I saw that Amazon seller, too, and did not want to risk getting the wrong number of rings.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
1215 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Designer stamp and coins actually does have three rings for the Vario F and G's.

If they are advertising for the Vario F and G's, I've always received the correct three rings, and they are based in the U.S.

I recommend them for the Vario G and Vario F if one wants a three ring.

I ordered from someone else based in the U.S. for Vario F's and received four rings!

However, it looks like the Grande is only found with four rings.

[Edit: Actually, the Grande can be found with three rings in Canada. See BeeSee's note below. Thanks BeeSee for the correction.]

Unfortunately Designer stamp and coins has an error in their Grande advertisement, saying they are three rings in one part of the advertisement, and four rings in another part of the advertisement.

I left feedback with Amazon indicating the error - hopefully it will be corrected.

Edited by Jkjblue - 01/03/2017 12:21 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
849 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I second Jkjblue's recommendation. They also ship very quickly.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   4:59 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll third the recommendation for Designer Stamp and Coin. I probably order something from them once a month or more and I have 5 Vario-G's on my way to me from them now. On the other hand, if one does want a 4-ring Vario binder, Nordfrim is currently selling a package of two Vario-F's for US$31.50 (with free shipping to the US). http://www.nordfrim.com/accessories...qp6joHWKHwYw

That's the lowest price I've ever seen for them anywhere, and by a pretty good margin. I'm considering buying some for Vario pages, which would still work. They're also selling leather 64-page stockbooks for under $30, but I digress.
Edited by TheArtfulHinger - 01/02/2017 5:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5350 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   5:45 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been using a mixture of various 1" and 2" standard office "O" and "D" ring binders, but now want to standardize my main collection in Lighthouse type binders. I print my own 8.5 x 11 pages and put them in Staples top loading sheet protectors. They are the type with the holes on the side, so no punching is required. However, this adds about 3/4" to the page width, and therefore the pages stick out on the right side of some binders. This I don't like, but have been living with it.

The lighthouse Grande albums are specified to be 11-7/16" wide x 12-13/16" high. There seems have enough width to keep the edge of the sheet protectors inside the binders, but that of course depends on the actual ring size.

Does anyone here have experience using the Grande album with top loading sheet protectors?

Canada Post sells the Album with the slipcase for $36 Cdn postpaid.

https://www.canadapost.ca/shop/stam...p-341891.jsf

BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1961 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   7:45 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Much cheaper from Europe, I suspect

http://www.nordfrim.com/search?s=grande
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5350 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   11:06 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However, it looks like the Grande is only found with four rings

Jkjblue, the Grande being sold by Canada Post in the above link has 3 rings.

GeoffHa, I know I would save a little money using Nordfrim, but it appears they only have the 4 ring version. I am looking for the 3 ring version.

BeeSee in BC
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
1215 Posts
Posted 01/03/2017   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I print my own 8.5 x 11 pages and put them in Staples top loading sheet protectors. They are the type with the holes on the side, so no punching is required. However, this adds about 3/4" to the page width, and therefore the pages stick out on the right side of some binders. This I don't like, but have been living with it.

BeeSee - thanks for the correction that Canada Post sells the Grande Binder with three rings.

I would think the Grande should have enough room for your 8.5 x 11 pages + .75 for width, but I do not have personal experience with the Grande.

Just for your information, the three ring Vario G's would also have enough room - about 1 inch width with 8.5 X 11 pages. That would leave about .25 inch to spare with your extra need for .75 inch.

The three ring Vario F's definitely would not. With the 8.5 X 11 pages, they have only .25 inch to spare.

Edited by Jkjblue - 01/03/2017 12:44 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5350 Posts
Posted 01/03/2017   01:13 am  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Jkjblue, excellent information, just what I needed

BeeSee in BC
Valued Member
65 Posts
Posted 01/29/2017   03:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"The Grande doesn't use "a larger sized Vario page", it uses a Grande page."

Correct, and my mistake once again. For some reason, I find Lighthouse names very confusing. Not sure what "Vario" means (in German) but it's just a type of LH binder, of course. That there are Vario F's and Vario G's and Grandes confuses me.

For anyone considering buying LH binders or other products, I really recommend you contact Lighthouse (on their webpage) and request their catalogue which they'll send you -- printed on actual old-fashioned paper, if you can imagine that. It was their catalogue that finally made clear to me the differences among their enormous number of binders and albums and pages and so on. Apparently, I need paper to make sense of anything. I'm analog in a computerized world.
Pillar Of The Community
Norway
887 Posts
Posted 01/29/2017   05:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not sure what "Vario" means (in German)

I believe 'Vario' has been used to indicate the flexibility of the Vario system for variable purposes, formats, sizes, sheets, covers etc.

Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
Posted 01/29/2017   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paul78703 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"For some reason, I find Lighthouse names very confusing. Not sure what "Vario" means (in German) but it's just a type of LH binder, of course. That there are Vario F's and Vario G's and Grandes confuses me."

I am like you. Without the printed Lighthouse catalog in front of me, I cannot make heads or tails out of the various Lighthouse binders. Their various types of stock pages and album pages are similarly confusing. But, by golly, their "system" of products is very flexible and wonderful, once one figures it out. Can't beat the Germans for quality and ingenuity.
Edited by paul78703 - 01/29/2017 12:28 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
485 Posts
Posted 01/29/2017   1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always felt Vario must a binder/stock pages that match multiple binders (many different hole punch) and many different stock sheets (single, dual, etc. pockets). It is very variable (versatile).

Al
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Guatemala stamp ?? Thanks for your help !
  ASDA Mid-West Postage Stamp Show
  New Online US Stamp Mount Finder Tool
  Regumming stamps - Why do it?
  Norway used lot off paper. 440 stamps.
  Places with philatelic references
  Need Help with understanding cancels France Ceres
  Question about Pricing of Korean Stamps
  Help needed identifying stamp
  Image naming : How to remove first 4 characters.
  Hi All, Could I get a certificate if this is a 534b ?
  possible 554d 10perf Washington 2cent
  Please help with these British Overprints
  Layout of De La Rue Sheets of 240 on early British Colonies
  How did early collectors keep stamps MNH??
  Barbados 1985 Marine Life and 1994 Ships Issues - date varieties
  J1 vs. J15 stamp size?
  Hi, Can I have help ich I believe is a 504 b type V11
  Indian collection of Feudatory States
  Looking for a Revenue Dealer
  Qatar AIRLETTER Shaikh Ahmad Ali al Thani
  K.B. Spezial Zeppelin Post Catalog
  Dubai AIRLETTER 1963 of 10r Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed
  The Edward VII Issue of Canada: A detailed study by George C. Marler
  New member have a stamp for grabs

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Bicycles on Stamps...
  Guatemala stamp ?? Thanks for your help !
  Image naming : How to remove first 4 characters.
  How did early collectors keep stamps MNH??
  danish classics, show them to me.
  Prephilatelic covers - any interest? Show - tell - ask - explain!
  Pottery, Ceramics, Porcelain, and other clayware
  Post your Inauguration Day covers
  Barbados 1985 Marine Life and 1994 Ships Issues - date varieties
  ASDA Mid-West Postage Stamp Show
  Curious about Webstore anyone heard of or tried it?
  Please help with these British Overprints
  Indian collection of Feudatory States
  New Online US Stamp Mount Finder Tool
  Need Help with understanding cancels France Ceres
  Regumming stamps - Why do it?
  Cancel to order - why are they worth so little
  Question about Pricing of Korean Stamps
  Are Duplicates Worth Collecting?
  Norway used lot off paper. 440 stamps.
  Places with philatelic references
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Help needed identifying stamp
  1938 Jamaca Scott 116b Watermark Sideways cv $9000 does anybody know?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05