Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A few Album Binder Reviews -  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
Norway
974 Posts
Posted 12/16/2016   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
angore - try Nordfrim. There's a very friendly gentleman there named Lars - he can probably do what Mystic could not. Guess it also depends on the size of the order. I got the Signum albums as above down from 28 Euro to 22 Euro. That's almost 25%!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
1244 Posts
Posted 12/20/2016   12:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I checked the capacity of the Vario F vs Vario G binders for Steiner pages.

90 pages vs 220 pages, or about 2.5 times the capacity for the Vario G's.

I prefer the Vario F's as they are padded, and the 90 pages feel elegantly presented within the binder. But the Vario G''s have an ace- their capacity.

As a WW 1840-1940 collector, I have some 6,500 Steiner pages, so I am mixing and matching the Vario F's and G's for my countries.

At this time, I have 19 Vario F's and 10 Vario G's. There are still some 3000 Steiner pages that are in Avery heavy duty binders that I would like to eventually house in Varios.

Frankly, my priority is obtaining stamps and feeder collections, so this will be a conversion process that will continue for several more years.

Classical era collecting with the Blues
http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.com/
Edited by Jkjblue - 12/20/2016 12:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1793 Posts
Posted 12/20/2016   5:18 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are still some 3000 Steiner pages that are in Avery heavy duty binders that I would like to eventually house in Varios.

Frankly, my priority is obtaining stamps and feeder collections, so this will be a conversion process that will continue for several more years.

Ditto. Frankly the parts of my collection still in Avery binders aren't worthy of a Lighthouse binder yet. If I spent $30-ish on a Lighthouse binder, that would be more than I've spent to date on the stamps currently housed in any given Avery binder I'm still using. Those are also parts of my collection I might only work on once or twice a year, so I feel no real need to upgrade them anytime soon. Putting my collection of half-complete CTO sets from Romania in a Lighthouse binder wouldn't even be putting lipstick on a pig, it would be like putting lipstick on a worm! I even keep them out of sight of the rest of my collection, in their own little leper colony, so to speak.
Edited by TheArtfulHinger - 12/20/2016 5:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
1244 Posts
Posted 12/21/2016   01:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Artful Hinger - you made me laugh.

Very funny comment!

Edited by Jkjblue - 12/21/2016 01:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
951 Posts
Posted 12/21/2016   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jkjblue,

I have the opposite problem. My KGVI Palo albums are worth way more than the stamps in it. I'm hoping some day it will be the other way around.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Norway
974 Posts
Posted 12/21/2016   07:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Putting my collection of half-complete CTO sets from Romania in a Lighthouse binder wouldn't even be putting lipstick on a pig

Excellent observation. Guess I'm in the process of doing just that - not only for one pig - but for the entire pigpen. I might need lots of lipstick!

When I finally come around to be transferring my Mongolia collection, the retail value of the Lighthouse Signum album will probably be less after I have inserted the stamps than what it was as a brand new I know it's stupid - I just need to get my entire collection in a uniform streamlined system - blame it on the OCD.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
1244 Posts
Posted 12/21/2016   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Blaamand-

I think you take the "Candid picture of a stamp collector" award for the month!

What a great pic of you in your native (amen!) surroundings.

Pillar Of The Community
Norway
974 Posts
Posted 12/21/2016   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He he - can you see I am doing my best to hide my tweezers ??

angore - my apologies for taking the your excellent thread to the - well, literally to the pigpen..
Valued Member
120 Posts
Posted 12/24/2016   03:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Much later I've returned to this threat and caught my stupid mistake! I typed "G" when I meant to type "F". Here's what I had written:

"The Lighthouse G binder is a "regular" sized (about 8.5 x 11" but I have not measured it) 3-ring binder with round rings. It has very nice padded and textured vinyl covering on the binder itself, and it comes with a matching vinyl covered slipcase. The whole thing is very nice indeed."

My apologies. I had meant to say -- as a few people noted -- the Lighthouse F binder, etc. I must have been typing too fast or tired. I am sorry for any confusion this might have caused. It is the larger G binder that gets confused (at least by me) with the Grande binder which is different. I do like the (smaller) Lighthouse F binder a lot.
Edited by DrewM - 12/24/2016 03:35 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
767 Posts
Posted 12/24/2016   06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The good news is I got the Memory Keepers and the G binders as gifts for Christmas so stocking up.

Al
Valued Member
United States
427 Posts
Posted 12/24/2016   07:25 am  Show Profile Check chris2015's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No worries Drew, the Vario F are really nice. They just don't hold many pages, however. But they work well with 8.5" x 11" pages.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Chris
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
Posted 12/24/2016   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paul78703 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love my Vario F binder and slip case. Well worth the price.
Edited by paul78703 - 12/24/2016 9:48 pm
Valued Member
120 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Lighthouse Grande binder was designed for a larger sized Vario page, not the 8.5 x 11 size we're used to, in order to hold more capacity. LH seems to have been designed the Grande for the American market. The larger pages easily hold blocks, souvenir sheets, sheetlets, and covers, as well as stamps. It could be used as a stamp album if you used the proper sized (larger) Vario stock pages or found a source for larger-sized paper. If you put normal U.S. paper in this binder, it would fit but I don't think it would look appropriate for the size of the binder. The Grande binder has the now-common squared off round rings so pages are fairly easy to turn.

The Lighthouse G binder, on the other hand, is much larger. It has tall (almost rectangular) rings and appears to have been produced largely for storage, for maximum number of pages, not for turning pages. The squarish rings remind me of old ledger binders in offices years ago. Turning pages in the G binder is not easy. You slide the page up one straight side of the ring, across the top, then down the other straight side. It's a bit awkward, in my opinion. Consequently, I wouldn't recommend it be used for a stamp album. Used for storage it will hold a lot of Vario pages of whatever size you choose to put in it. It's easy to confuse the Grande with this G binder. I used to do that.

As for the other one, the large but less enormous Grande: Since its pages are larger than the standard U.S. 8.5 x 11 printer paper, you'd have to find larger paper if you intended to use it for a paper stamp album. It seems to be made primarily to hold larger sized Vario stock sheets which LH makes specially for this binder. These pages can hold either two large European sized covers (using two-pocket pages) or three U.S. sized covers (three pocket pages), as needed. This is the only loose leaf three-ring binder I've seen where you can mount U.S. covers three to a page in this manner. I've just ordered some three-pocket pages for a Grande binder I have.

You may already know this, but Vario pages not only differ in size, but in color.
- Those marked marked "S" ("S" for "Schwarz" or "black" in German), they have a black background which allows the pockets on the back of each page to hold different stamp material (they're two sided), three U.S. covers on the front, three more covers on the back. For U.S. covers, you'd order a "3S" for three pockets black ("schwarz") background.
- If they're marked "C," the pages are clear -- see-through without any background. I supposed you could still put additional stamp material on the back side if you wanted to, but I think they're designed to view the back of things. Since I've never used these pages, I'm unclear as to whether the "C" pages even have pockets on the backs of pages . . . ? Anyone know?

One more thing: LH says it has enlarged the holes on its Vario pages. The holes on older Vario pages do fit the rings in ring binders fine, but their smaller size makes turning pages difficult. LH has tried to remedy that with slightly larger holes. Seems like a good idea.
Edited by DrewM - 01/02/2017 01:59 am
Valued Member
120 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   02:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to beat this to death: I noticed a reference above to "four" rings in Lighthouse binders like the Grande, G, etc. That's correct if you're using European-sourced LH binders. But binders sold in the U.S. have three rings even though they are otherwise identical. Some advertisements are not clear how many rings a LH binder has.

I've noticed some European based sellers selling to Americans on eBay or Amazon will ship European 4-ring binders to U.S. buyers. This happened to me and return shipping, once I found out the mistake, was just too expensive. You can still put Vario stock sheets in these European 4-ring binders because LH punches them for both four and three hole use. But if you were planning to use the binder for three-ring U.S. paper, you'd be out of luck.

So be careful that you get the number of rings you want. Ordering Lighthouse ring binders from U.S. sellers will get you the 3-ring binder for sure. Why we have different numbers of rings like this I have no idea.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
2189 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   06:21 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Drew

The Grande doesn't use "a larger sized Vario page", it uses a Grande page. Part of the confusion in this thread stems from posts using "Vario" as the name for every Lighthouse stock-sheet. It isn't.

The pages should turn easier in four-ring binders. A four-ring hole-punch is pretty cheap.

Geoff
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  3rd Reich / Nazi stamps
  US Scott 443 Washington 1c line single?
  The Stamps of Tokelau.
  Moscow to New York: two letter-size envelopes w/ Scott Russia #C75 1 PVB
  Can someone check the Part II of the new Minkus Pages for Togo Please
  Is my Washington 2 Cent stamp an error or just an oddity
  Need help please on this 1870 2 cent jackson scott 135 Red???
  Private Auctions on eBay
  Woohoo! Went 3 for 3 at the Philatelic Foundation!
  Help re Postal Service eGuide to US Stamps
  Imperforate 4d Kangaroo?
  Cut Square Stamp identification
  Looks like eBay is broken now?
  Canada Odd Unlisted Precancels - possibly Errors
  Canada Empress of Ireland press sheet
  Help with IDing watermark on cut square
  A perfectly placed ink void
  Lovely Q3 parcel post on first flight cover
  Scott 89xx-2 precancel
  Trying to identify stamp Scott 441 versus 448
  Can't find in German Catalogue Type 61?
  R15c double transfer pages from COMPEX
  Estate Stamp Collection ???
  Is this a Stamp? Possibly Russian?
  Minor issue with an eBay lot description

Gems and Minerals
  Rochester, New York ??? What am I misunderstanding here?
  Can someone check the Part II of the new Minkus Pages for Togo Please
  Automatic Supplements
  Need help please on this 1870 2 cent jackson scott 135 Red???
  The Stamps of Tokelau.
  Russia: Geometric numerals and background Inverted.
  Is my Washington 2 Cent stamp an error or just an oddity
  PDF style Stamp Album Pages
  US Scott 443 Washington 1c line single?
  BRIDGES,BRIDGES,BRIDGES! on stamps
  Ways to organize precancel collections?
  FOOTWARE - Shoes, Sneakers, and Other Foot Coverings!
  3rd Reich / Nazi stamps
  american occupation of France 1944-please help me locate?
  Private Auctions on eBay
  Regency Stamp Auctions in St. Louis
  China Yunnan Province Scott #41; London 1931-37 Overprinted A37 4c
  MAILBOXES on stamps!
  The Stamps of Indonesia on Album Pages.
  Ebay auto billing..can I add money to the bill?
  Which stamp has a high value in this auction?
  Moscow to New York: two letter-size envelopes w/ Scott Russia #C75 1 PVB
  Woohoo! Went 3 for 3 at the Philatelic Foundation!
  Help with IDing watermark on cut square

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.02 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05