Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lessons Learned - Take Away From US Elections  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
2830 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   10:27 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chip,
Understood and as I am sure you know, the real work in developing survey is building meaningful, unbiased questions. This effort is the same if you use Survey Monkey or another solution.

I completely agree that if the decision is only between using Survey Monkey or using a outsourced IT firm; then the obvious choice is Survey Monkey. Asking an outsourced IT firm do write a online one-time survey would have resulted in a large bill and a 2 month scheduling delay.

But my point is that this is not about this single survey. APS already has established an SQL server and other tools needed to do this stuff. With a 2-3 days worth of in-house or volunteer IT effort, a reusable survey foundation could have been developed and implemented. This would have allowed APS to generate new surveys at any time for any purpose. And it would have included reporting capabilities which supported online access for those who have permissions and export to any of the typical formats. With another day or two worth of work a full analysis dashboard that makes Survey Monkey reports look lame could have been implemented.

We seem to be confusing IT tasks and IT vision. I concur that many IT tasks are not rocket science and can be considered daily tactical type of activities. But having a comprehensive IT vision, plan, and resources when your organization's primary purpose is information delivery is my strategic point here.

Treating IT like it is just operational overhead, sending all of this stuff out of house, is not going to build the foundations that will help APS move into the future.
Don

Edit; I have implemented 7-8 surveys on Survey Monkey. I have also developed 4 SQL based survey environments so I have a fair idea of what is involved with both.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would take far more time to build the platform than you think. The conditional and branching logic that are in survey tools can be duplicated, but there is no reason to - why reinvent the wheel. The APS should keep its resources focused on its mission. There's a good reason that cloud and service-based solutions for all but differentiating functions are taking over.

Basically, when it comes to fielding surveys, (and a lot of other things), "We're not special" should be the mantra. If 500 organizations (including some of the biggest survey companies) use a tool like Survey Monkey, there's no reason to devote any time or effort to develop or maintain your own survey platform.

...and by the way, the best analysis tools (power/ease of use/flexibility balance) I've found are also an online survey - MarketSight.com
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You guys are both right. The APS needs a good IT plan/vision for the future. Part of that plan, needs to be understanding when to use on-demand/cloud services and when to develop home-cooked IT. It is important to understand that one of the main reasons that cloud and cloud services are taking over IT, is to reduce IT spending by companies. That is part of the very problem being discussed.

I think they need to develop their plan first, and if that plan shows that they need a significant internal IT investment, which seems likely, then they should consider that.

Don - your argument about the APS having all of this code supporting their website, and having different groups work on it over time is very valid. What a nightmare. Clearly, whatever plan they emerge with should address this somehow.
Learn More...
2830 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   11:20 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...It would take far more time to build the platform than you think...

Based upon my experience I could have developed the SQL database, the web page survey, and the reporting code in 2-3 hours. I agree that conditional and branching logic would add time but this last survey had none of these type questions.

I understand your point about 'reinventing the wheel' but my point, and the topic of this thread, is about changing the way APS thinks about IT.

I am pretty sure I know how the survey decision came down. It is pretty apparent that APS has several million dollars in cost overruns with the new building. This, coupled with declining membership, are causing a significant money pinch. So when the desire for a survey cane down, the 'inexpensive' choice was to use Survey Monkey.

I have no idea if APS sprung for a Survey Monkey subscription. There are some thing which suck about Survey Monkey. Their subscription model is not very flexible; for example you cannot remove their free advertising on the pages unless you pay. The final page redirect is also annoying to users. You often need to subscribe for an entire year even if you just want to do a single survey. They offer no refunds. And I won't post how it is done but it fairly easy to work-around the limit that only allows you to take it once. In other words, if I wanted to skew the results a person could have taken the survey multiple times.

But again, the point of this thread is about the confluence of APS and IT; not about specific IT tasks such as a simple survey.

Thanks for the reference on MarketSight, I'll check them out.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last couple of points on this -
- I noted that the person running the surveys for the APS was very well versed in survey methodology and design. That fact made me feel better about the efforts. (hint for those following at home - the easiest key indicator of bad survey design - search for the words "and" and "or." If you find them in a question, it's probably poor design - you can't differentiate between which is the causative factor). A variation of this is when you ask a question that has the same answer for two different reasons. We all heard the reports of "80% of the American public think the country is going in the wrong direction." However, that doesn't tell us whether 70% think it's going too far left, while 10% think it's going too far right, or just the opposite.

- I was also pleased that they took the right approach - do interviews to get the qualitative, then do a survey to get the scale/ranking of the factors. Surveys don't tell you what you don't know. They only help you to scale and rank the various factors. Too many organizations field a survey without this first step, figuring that they can go back later and interview people for more qualitative shading. However, if you don't know what the superset of issues are, you can't design a good survey.

- You also have to remember that people can't answer a survey about something they aren't familiar with. Imagine not too many years ago what you would have answered in a question "Do you want to search for stamps from your phone?" Now, mobile devices are the main way that people access the web. You always have to decide just how far in front or behind any trend or curve you want to be.

All-in-all, it's a good thing that the APS is looking to make data-based decisions. Heavens knows that there are enough opinions floating around that the opinion owner is absolutely positive is the right thing to do (including mine).

C.
Learn More...
2830 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   11:44 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I 100% agree with your post Chip. Someone did a very good job on the latest survey and it is huge that APS seeks quantifiable data for making decisions.

This is one of the reasons I push for making the APS website traffic data public. Lets see what we are getting for the money spent instead of folks making assumptions. Is website traffic growing? How many new memberships is the site generating? Which features/pages are the most used? Which pages/feature are the least used? Where are the visitors coming from? this is all data that is in-hand by someone with access to the web server and available at no extra cost.
Don
Valued Member
Canada
110 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oceanguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone have a link to the survey? If so, I would love to take it. I think it is great APS is taking the initiative to conduct a survey, hopefully they are trying to reach out to get the opinions of many non-members in addition to their membership.
Valued Member
United States
327 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The survey was sent to a bit over 12,000 members and to nearly 11,600 non-members. The lion's share of the credit on the survey goes to David Paddock, who previously conducted a survey of individuals who dropped their APS memberships last year (also via Survey Monkey), but a number of other people provided input and suggested questions for this one. Oceanguy, I'll send you a private message.

Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
Posted 12/06/2016   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Current revenue and budgeting appear to dictate moving slowly on IT; they are not going to hire an IT director at $150K+ plus benefits.

Maybe they need to look for a volunteer IT guy that will take compensation in the form of benefits such as free membership, free grading or something like that. Maybe tax breaks in the form of charitable donations for services rendered. Surely there are some IT tech guys that collect stamps and are retired that have a little extra time to volunteer.

Rick
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
485 Posts
Posted 12/07/2016   07:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The point I would emphasize is "IT strategy" for a philatelic group is not a commodity that one outsources because there are no off the shelf solutions. A single product is not a strategy like having a web site is not a strategy.

Al
Pillar Of The Community
Finland
608 Posts
Posted 12/07/2016   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe they need to look for a volunteer IT guy that will take compensation in the form of benefits such as free membership, free grading or something like that. Maybe tax breaks in the form of charitable donations for services rendered. Surely there are some IT tech guys that collect stamps and are retired that have a little extra time to volunteer.

Almost dropped from chair when reading this... The reason IT guys have such high asking prices is because the work genuinely takes a whole lot more than 'a little extra time'. It is more a way of life where you are married with server/network maintenance & mobile 24/7/365.

-k-

Collecting the world 1840 to date one stamp at a time.
Author & owner of Stamp Collecting Blog
Edited by scb - 12/07/2016 09:47 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Guatemala stamp ?? Thanks for your help !
  ASDA Mid-West Postage Stamp Show
  New Online US Stamp Mount Finder Tool
  Regumming stamps - Why do it?
  Norway used lot off paper. 440 stamps.
  Places with philatelic references
  Need Help with understanding cancels France Ceres
  Question about Pricing of Korean Stamps
  Help needed identifying stamp
  Image naming : How to remove first 4 characters.
  Hi All, Could I get a certificate if this is a 534b ?
  possible 554d 10perf Washington 2cent
  Please help with these British Overprints
  Layout of De La Rue Sheets of 240 on early British Colonies
  How did early collectors keep stamps MNH??
  Barbados 1985 Marine Life and 1994 Ships Issues - date varieties
  J1 vs. J15 stamp size?
  Hi, Can I have help ich I believe is a 504 b type V11
  Indian collection of Feudatory States
  Looking for a Revenue Dealer
  Qatar AIRLETTER Shaikh Ahmad Ali al Thani
  K.B. Spezial Zeppelin Post Catalog
  Dubai AIRLETTER 1963 of 10r Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed
  The Edward VII Issue of Canada: A detailed study by George C. Marler
  New member have a stamp for grabs

Bicycles on Stamps...
  Guatemala stamp ?? Thanks for your help !
  Image naming : How to remove first 4 characters.
  How did early collectors keep stamps MNH??
  danish classics, show them to me.
  Prephilatelic covers - any interest? Show - tell - ask - explain!
  Pottery, Ceramics, Porcelain, and other clayware
  Post your Inauguration Day covers
  Barbados 1985 Marine Life and 1994 Ships Issues - date varieties
  ASDA Mid-West Postage Stamp Show
  Curious about Webstore anyone heard of or tried it?
  Please help with these British Overprints
  Indian collection of Feudatory States
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  New Online US Stamp Mount Finder Tool
  Need Help with understanding cancels France Ceres
  Regumming stamps - Why do it?
  Cancel to order - why are they worth so little
  Question about Pricing of Korean Stamps
  Are Duplicates Worth Collecting?
  Norway used lot off paper. 440 stamps.
  Places with philatelic references
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Help needed identifying stamp
  1938 Jamaca Scott 116b Watermark Sideways cv $9000 does anybody know?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.78 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05