Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roman States Scott #15 (A15) 10 cent Black,Vermilon,Imperf 1867  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 11/11/2016   12:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add edw_kim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Roman States Scott #15 (A15) 10 cent Black,Vermilon,Imperf 1867

Scott says this stamp "mint" goes for a whopping $1,575.00..used $92.50
(double impression $7,250.00):

does anybody know? my attachment of this stamp imperf ,this mine,mint
and is hinged with no gum! see photo>

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff
Edited by edw_kim - 11/11/2016 12:58 am

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
675 Posts
Posted 11/11/2016   02:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't say I'm a whizz on these stamps but it just doesn't look right. Assume it's a forgery, but if you really need to get some comfort then seek the advice and opinion of an APS accredited expert.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 11/11/2016   03:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add edw_kim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sorry it's not a forgery.the stamp came out of a 1940s scott international postage album today.i can prove that if it's suggested? (the subject stamp)was hinged in the album under "Roman States 1862"
(the album is the Jr's edition):
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1961 Posts
Posted 11/11/2016   03:12 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, most of my forgeries came out of ancient albums. The nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries were probably the heyday of stamp forging. The best rule with anything of apparent value from many countries from this period is to assume fake, then investigate and try and come to a definitive answer.
Learn More...
2830 Posts
Posted 11/11/2016   03:24 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why would you think that the album it came from has anything to do with it being a real, reprint, or forgery? The Roman States stamps are renowned for it's reprints and forgeries.

You can easily find a wealth of additional information by searching online. In 30 seconds you can search this forum and find multiple threads such as this one http://goscf.com/t/14295&whichpage=1.

If you are sure that it is not a forgery then you have only one choice; send it in for a cert. After you get the cert back please let us know how it turns out.
Don
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 11/11/2016   03:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add edw_kim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sorry I dont buy that! I will send it to have it appraised! and the same stamp is currently for sale on the APS site for about a hundred bucks!
you cannot determine a stamp is a forgery until it's been examined.
Learn More...
2830 Posts
Posted 11/11/2016   03:37 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have posted a lot of threads about 'rare' stamps and they all have ended up in the same place; get a cert. Have you sent any stamps in and gotten the certs back yet?
Don
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 11/11/2016   03:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add edw_kim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have many certs with the philatelic foundation new york city.
why is anybody trying to judge my integrety?

nope i'm not trying to give the guys in the forum a hard time,if that's what you think.i'm still very new to the forum..
Edited by edw_kim - 11/11/2016 03:49 am
Learn More...
2830 Posts
Posted 11/11/2016   03:50 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see no one judging your integrity. I questioned your logic about it not being a forgery because "the stamp came out of a 1940s scott international postage album today" which makes no sense. Mistakes will be noted on this forum, sorry.
Don
Edit: I say 'mistakes are noted' because we desire accuracy and the publishing of correct information.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
831 Posts
Posted 11/11/2016   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This isn't personal and no offense should be taken. Which certificate, that you received from PF, corresponds to one of your past posts/threads here? Please post a scan of the cert in one of those threads. We are all looking for increased knowledge and seeing what PF said about a particular stamp that you have asked about will help.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 11/11/2016   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add edw_kim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yaahh please dont take this personal Tim H.earlier on mentioned he assumed the stamp was a forgery.and of course it has NOT been certified! Therefore nothing more should be said.and "No" I "will NOT" display my certs from The Philatelic Foundation in this forum! Please lay off! And don't get hostile! I never said I was a stamp expert!

Pillar Of The Community
817 Posts
Posted 11/11/2016   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To bring the discussion back to the stamp at hand ... both GeoffHa and 51studebaker have correctly noted that this issue was forged/reprinted many times. This was widely known well before your 1940 album was printed. In fact, both Scott and Stanley Gibbons have notes in their 1920 catalogs to this effect, which can be scanned and posted if desired. So there is a high probability that your stamp is not an original, even though being found in a 1940 album.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
797 Posts
Posted 11/11/2016   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HungaryForStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your being told to assume it is a forgery and then investigate further is not a statement created to dash your hopes and bring you down. Nor is it meant to be hostile. This is what most experienced stamp collectors say to themselves when they think they stumbled upon a rarity. I have plenty of stamps I have relegated to the "probably a forgery" bin until I get around to researching them and maybe sending in for certs.

The request for you to post certs when you get them is not hostile or an attempt to prove you are wrong. We like to have some closure on a thread so others that are in your situation can refer to them and maybe get a better understanding of the process that should be followed to prove a stamp is a rarity. Certainly if you have positive certs and you were told your stamp was likely not a rarity, you should post the certs to correct any misinformation we might be spreading and to gloat a little bit. Otherwise we just assume the opposite.
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
Posted 11/11/2016   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your stamp appears to be the original design (hard to tell for sure without seeing the stamp in person) and not a forgery. It does not match the forgeries illustrated in Roman States Forgeries: The Issue of 1867 - 1868 by Levitsky and Jenkins. HOWEVER, there are also remainders and reprints that are of minimal value. Part of the identification depends on the color of the stamp and it needs to be viewed in person to be sure. Another key to proper identification depends on the frame lines that have been cut-off on your stamp. Also, note that even if it is not a reprint or remainder, you should be aware that Italian catalogs value the stamp with no gum at about 20% of the value with gum.
See the notes in the Scott Classic Specialized that the values are for stamps with original gum and that "imperforate stamps on unglazed paper, or in colors other than listed, are unfinished remainders of the 1868 issue"
My guess is that it is a reprint or unfinished remainder of the 10 centesimi perforate stamp, but that is only a guess.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 11/12/2016   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add edw_kim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK.i will mail it to The Philatelic Foundation early next week.I will inform this particular forum of the results.As soon as they come in....Regards.. ps-"my guess is as good as yours"!
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
Posted 11/12/2016   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I strongly recommend the PF for certificates on US material, I would actually send that stamp to Sergio Sismondo http://www.sismondostamps.com/exp/expert.htm. You might also consider the APS if you are a member.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  2 Cent Red Washington Without corner triangles?
  Rules to Classify Topical Subjects
  New stamp error in Germany (christmas stamp)
  Guatemala stamp ?? Thanks for your help !
  ASDA Mid-West Postage Stamp Show
  New Online US Stamp Mount Finder Tool
  Regumming stamps - Why do it?
  Norway used lot off paper. 440 stamps.
  Places with philatelic references
  Need Help with understanding cancels France Ceres
  Question about Pricing of Korean Stamps
  Help needed identifying stamp
  Image naming : How to remove first 4 characters.
  Hi All, Could I get a certificate if this is a 534b ?
  possible 554d 10perf Washington 2cent
  Please help with these British Overprints
  Layout of De La Rue Sheets of 240 on early British Colonies
  How did early collectors keep stamps MNH??
  Barbados 1985 Marine Life and 1994 Ships Issues - date varieties
  J1 vs. J15 stamp size?
  Hi, Can I have help ich I believe is a 504 b type V11
  Indian collection of Feudatory States
  Looking for a Revenue Dealer
  Qatar AIRLETTER Shaikh Ahmad Ali al Thani
  K.B. Spezial Zeppelin Post Catalog

Please help with these British Overprints
  2 Cent Red Washington Without corner triangles?
  Places with philatelic references
  possible 554d 10perf Washington 2cent
  New Online US Stamp Mount Finder Tool
  Curious about Webstore anyone heard of or tried it?
  Bicycles on Stamps...
  Everything's Coming Up BUTTERFLIES!
  Turtle Stamps
  How did early collectors keep stamps MNH??
  Image naming : How to remove first 4 characters.
  Question about Pricing of Korean Stamps
  Layout of De La Rue Sheets of 240 on early British Colonies
  Rules to Classify Topical Subjects
  Prephilatelic covers - any interest? Show - tell - ask - explain!
  Guatemala stamp ?? Thanks for your help !
  Stamps made of cloth, Polymer, metal, wood etc
  Need Help with understanding cancels France Ceres
  New stamp error in Germany (christmas stamp)
  Scott 4959 vintage rose fake stamps
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  danish classics, show them to me.
  Pottery, Ceramics, Porcelain, and other clayware
  Post your Inauguration Day covers
  Barbados 1985 Marine Life and 1994 Ships Issues - date varieties

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.66 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05