Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
146 Posts
Posted 11/08/2016   09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Anyone have any idea why I keep getting the attached message when logging in through FireFox?? It keeps reappearing every time changing screens. Very annoying! No problem with Internet Explorer.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4102 Posts
Posted 11/08/2016   10:12 am  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use Firefox and I do not get that. However, when I use Chrome I sometimes get a similar message that won't quit. I ran my anti virus program and it went away.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1592 Posts
Posted 11/08/2016   10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is usually caused by having your login info in the bookmarked URL. Change your bookmark to just the basic URL and see if that fixes the problem.

Example:

Don't have it set like this -- http://myusername:mypassword --at-sign-- stampcommunity.org

Have it set to this -- http://www.stampcommunity.org

Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Edited by PostmasterGS - 11/08/2016 10:23 am
Learn More...
United States
4339 Posts
Posted 11/10/2016   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah. Don't do that.

Also %2E is the . (period) character. Not sure how/why it was 'encoded' that way.

You've probably seen %20 in URLs when there is a SPACE in the address (also a bad idea).
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
146 Posts
Posted 01/09/2017   07:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guys - so sorry about the duplicity on this request. I did fix it back in November but looks like it came back somehow and I totally forgot about the previous request. In my defense - I am of that age group.
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
Posted 01/09/2017   08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EricBismarck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The big browsers, including at least Firefox and Chrome (soon) (with Edge to follow suit) will be issuing this warning to any user logging into any website that does not use SSL (https) for encrypting traffic from end-to-end.

The reason for this is that on a non-ssl site, your password is sent as clear, unencrypted text over the wire.

StampCommunity would need to purchase an SSL cert and implement in order to stop these warnings from going away.

SSL Sites can easily be identified by the green icon that will show up in your address bar. (for example, just go to google.com and you will see that all google traffic is secure)

At some point in the future (a few years down the road), it is likely that browsers will actually prevent logins to non-secure sites.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4102 Posts
Posted 01/09/2017   08:56 am  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My computer does not show any green on the SSL sites ( must be out of green ink! ). I am using FireFox and was told that to recognize a SSL site to look for the "s" after http in the address.

Peter
Forum Dad
Learn More...
USA
1156 Posts
Posted 01/09/2017   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eric, you're so way off base. SSL has nothing to do with it (I've used FF forever and never seen it.), and absolutely isn't necessary for this site. In fact, if anyone forces me to get SSL here I'll just shut the place down or sell it. That's absurd. Between the coin forum and here there are over 2,000 posts a day, that's a ton of people logging in on 2 non-SSL sites every single day with only with 2 complaints. So not even close to the issue.

Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
Posted 01/09/2017   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EricBismarck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was incorrect in the fact of the OP's error message, and I see along with the above folks who replied, that it has to do with sending the loginname/password direct in the URL- Wheelman - check your URL it might be malformed in the address bar

However, on SSL, the fact still remains: Mozilla and Chrome are both planning to deprecate HTTP.

It is a gradual phaseout, but it is happening as we speak. Chrome already is telling me that "This site is not secure". The warning will become more prominent in future version.

Luckily, SSL Certs have come down quite a bit in price...they will probably come down more soon. You can get them for around $50/year.

https://threatpost.com/chrome-to-la...2017/120452/

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/go...chrome-https

https://blog.dareboost.com/en/2016/...our-website/

Quote:

Chrome users who navigate to some HTTP sites will be notified, starting in January, they're on a site that isn't secure.

Google said today the browser will begin explicitly labeling HTTP connections that feature either a password or credit card form as non-secure. The company said the plan is its first step toward marking all HTTP sites as non-secure, though it didn't provide a timetable for the undertaking.

Edited by EricBismarck - 01/09/2017 12:59 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Unknown stamp red no value
  Don't be deceived by this odd item
  1934 Stamp Club Menu overprint
  Selling $3 Columbian on Delcampe....
  Steiner pages for Canada
  Australian Penny Red (2)
  Getting Acquainted with Collecting
  New one and two cent acquisitions
  Founded collectable British one pennys
  Large and not so large margins in some stamps
  Canada Post new 150 anniversary series admail
  Austria Lombardy Venetia 2 Soldi Imperf???
  Old Swiss & Austrian & Hungarian Stamps
  RUSSIAN EMPIRE: 4k rose with curious background
  is it variety color left stamp I mean
  Help needed to identify Russian postmark
  Singapore SG85? equal Scott 57b?
  Gunshot wound freak? I cannot tell.
  Canada: New Star Trek Stamps
  After 15 years I lost the enjoyment
  NFR17 perf 12 - Anyone recognize this part-perfin?
  Unlisted paper variety of an official seal
  Help wpth Postage Due shades.
  2016 Chester on Track Event Cover - Massachusetts MA - CSX B&A Conrail Railroad
  VATICAN CITY Scott 110-121 Catholic Reformers Set 1946

Four to Eight Weeks for Mail from Canada- Huh??
  Steiner pages for Canada
  More philatelic butchery
  Have another beer stamp!
  Subway Nassau Binders Discontinued
  Flooding and Natural Disasters
  Getting Acquainted with Collecting
  New one and two cent acquisitions
  Don't be deceived by this odd item
  Unknown stamp red no value
  Canada 1182 Color Shift
  UPU - Universal Postal Union - Symbol Stamps
  ORCHIDS on Singapore stamps & world stamps
  Large and not so large margins in some stamps
  Odd shaped stamps. Be cool, don't be a square.
  France stamp - Unsure of year..?
  Austria Lombardy Venetia 2 Soldi Imperf???
  1934 Stamp Club Menu overprint
  Selling $3 Columbian on Delcampe....
  What FISH stamps do you have???
  Going through family collection
  Tasmania Cancellation
  Australian Penny Red (2)
  Australian Penny Red
  Founded collectable British one pennys

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05