Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Summit on the Future of Philately  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
482 Posts
Posted 10/30/2016   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
APS posted a video on the Summit on the Future of Philately on their Facebook page so watched it today. I am glad APS shared pictures and video of this event which was also held with the official opening of APRL.

There was discussion about growing the hobby, growing organized philately, and shows.

As mentioned by a couple, there should be an action list, owner, dates, follow up but not sure how this will be done or communicated. I was surprised one thought meeting once a year was sufficient to have some super committee meet. I would think monthly as a minimum. Scott mentioned a $25,000 challenge but did not know the details behind this.

It was noted that shows have financial challenges as they dwindle. The dealers do a lot of business online so they do not need shows especially if they carrying the bulk of funding shows. My opinion is attendees and exhibitors need to foot more of the bill but then you need to have even more of a reason for people to attend. The show concept will evolve or they will there will be fewer as time goes on. As one person stated, shows need to be change (my word is rebranded to something like stampcon) and adapt to offer more diversity (more things of interest to more people than just a traditional collector or exhibitor). As was noted the majority visitors to the NPM are not collectors.

As several said, organized philately has to adapt to the people today and not expect to convert them to how they think and collect. We see the usual suggestion of getting philatelic material in front of non-philatelic people. The net is most collectors do not need APS but APS needs them. No one disagreed that the hobby itself is good thanks to the Internet. You get the usual suggestion to help collectors connect to each other. The APS could easily address that with its own discussion forum - not mentioned. There was no discussion of technology needed to reach these younger social media types. There was no mention of the APS web site and how the Internet really could be used. There was not much discussion on what stamp groups could do to grow membership other than vague ideas about more exposure to non-collectors.

I also still see some who have a view of collecting and somehow think they can convince them to mimic them rather than accept them as they are.

My summary is that some understand the challenges but not sure how to translate these into actions. I did not hear any real new ideas. I was surprised that some of the board that I agree with are not more assertive on getting more organized. The good news is that Scott English does not appear to have some set way on people need to collect.

Send note to Staff

Al

Valued Member
Netherlands
53 Posts
Posted 10/30/2016   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add labprofess to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice
As a new stamp collector this is interesting
The stamp world is bigger than I Thought
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2885 Posts
Posted 10/30/2016   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... My opinion is attendees and exhibitors need to foot more of the bill ...

I don't get the 'more' part.

The sponsors (clubs, APS, ASDA) are subsidizing the shows today?

I thought that the shows were money-makers for the clubs et al.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
482 Posts
Posted 10/30/2016   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The dealer participation is falling since there are fewer dealers willing to travel given expenses such as hotel, food, transportation, etc and table fees and buyers. New dealers are mostly selling through the internet as they do not need to a show to make a living. In a show budget, the dealer table fees pay a substantial part of a show expense (venue, security, catering. etc) while exhibitors pay for the jury expenses.

I believe the example discussed with Chicagopex that is looking at possibly doing a combined coin/stamp show to remain financially viable (not lose money).

APS makes money on the summer show and loses money on the winter show. I do not think a group wants to lose money on a show unless there are clear benefits.

Al
Valued Member
United States
423 Posts
Posted 10/31/2016   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given the width and depth of internet access to stamps and covers, I'm surprised that stamp shows are still held.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2885 Posts
Posted 10/31/2016   07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, Greetings:

I can see several reasons why stamp shows are still held:

- analog shopping can be fun (ask your wife or another available female);

- not everyone knows exactly what they want (dealers' boxes of covers are the browsing that predates browsers);

- lower-priced items may not be described in sufficient searchable detail on dealer websites;

- some people despise returning things by post;

- you'll get a better price if the dealer can see what you want to sell.

Some people like to get out of the house once in awhile, and will prefer a movie theater to streaming, a restaurant to delivery, or a forest to a potted plant.

So there are reasons for IRL shows; going forward, the trick will be paying for them.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
830 Posts
Posted 10/31/2016   08:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would encourage any dealer pondering these issues to read Rob Bernshtyn's "Value as a Service." Its basic point is that companies operating in a commoditized environment in which products are sold via Internet will have to differentiate themselves by offering distinct and quantifiable value, or be overcome by those who do. The customer will constantly ask, what value does this dealer offer me at a show that I cannot get via the Internet? If the answer is nothing, why go to a show?

Some of Ikey's points address this, but dealers probably will have to do more. Imagine the US dealer who offers in-person expert ID of Washington Franklins for $5 at their booth. Or the ability to create and store your want list and receive instant offers or alerts. Or emailed recommendations based on your past buys, personalized. The dealer will have to offer the stamps you want, when you want them, at the price you want, faster and more efficiently than someone else.

Or some other quantifiable value. What would it be for you?
Learn More...
2820 Posts
Posted 10/31/2016   11:11 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can see several reasons why online has advantages over shows

-   Time convenience, a hobbyist can dictate when he/she wants to spend the time working on their collection
   -   The ability to peruse offerings without jockeying around a dealer table
   -   No travel costs
   -   Not having to pay for ‘just looking' or the opportunity to buy something (i.e. shows which are only bourses but they still charge admission fees)
   -   Greater selection
   -   Greater opportunity to do research before pulling the purchasing trigger
   -   Having all your tools and collection at hand to verify what you want and need
   -   Not having to make dialysis arrangements in a foreign city (LOL, Obviously not a consideration for many folks but I can tell you that this is a huge logistical headache!)

I have a number of thoughts on the Summit on the Future of Philately but am hoping that Scott will weigh in with his perspective. I will say that I think this was something that should have happened about 10-15 years ago.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 10/31/2016   12:13 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I actually attended my first show about 6 weeks ago and I loved it. Yes, I could have found every stamp I bought at the show on the internet instead, and most likely for less money. But there's nothing like searching through piles and piles of stamps in person and taking them home with you that day. It's also nice to get face-to-face interaction with dealers and other collectors, since I know no other collectors personally offline. Unfortunately the nearest shows to me are a 2-hour drive, but I'll be attending more shows in the future when possible.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
482 Posts
Posted 10/31/2016   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shows should always be important but they need to be more diversified in terms of appeal. If someone says let's go to NOJEX and was not involved in the hobby I would not know what to think.

Al
Valued Member
Canada
110 Posts
Posted 10/31/2016   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oceanguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has the APS done any research/survey on the people/audiences they want to reach? That might be a useful first step to give them a good understanding of what different audiences (collectors, new collectors, non-collectors)might find appealing and engaging.

Unfortunate to hear from angore's post that they are not jumping all over technology as a way of reaching more people.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 10/31/2016   1:20 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Shows should always be important but they need to be more diversified in terms of appeal.

I like the idea of combining with coin shows, at least for smaller, local/regional shows. Financial considerations aside, there's also a lot of crossover between stamp and coin collectors. I'm mostly a stamp collector, of course, but I do have a small coin and currency collection. Many other stamp and coin collectors do the same. In my case I like to have a few banknotes, coins and other ephemera to augment a particular country or area I'm collecting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
694 Posts
Posted 10/31/2016   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The internet; i.e. eBay; is not the ultimate solution that some people think it is. Getting e-mail alerts from dealers regarding stuff they have that may be of interest to me also is not a panacea (cjpalermo's idea; not too bad, but......).

I serve on three boards of non-profits and another 5 or 6 committees and councils associated with same + alerts from publications in the same field. I'm on three different e-mail list serves associated with this volunteer work. I get several daily investment alerts; all free; saving some $300 in subscription fees for three investment newsletters I used to get. I lead international adventure travel trips for a local group and get daily e-mails from vendors and Trip Advisor related sites.

My delete finger already is working overtime. Why would I want to add a bunch of e-mails from stamp dealers to this mix? It's bad enough that I'm starting to get more unsolicited regular mail from dealers who apparently buy lists of names. I know APS doesn't sell its list, but..... My point is simple. I review auction catalogs on line when I want; print catalogs that I get when I want; and visit the APS Stamp Store when I want. I have no wish to go chasing "holy philatelic grails" on eBay.
Learn More...
2820 Posts
Posted 10/31/2016   5:05 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Steve,
I agree the internet is not a 'ultimate solution'; it is simply an evolution. For good or bad, it is basically the next generation postal system (delivering information when and where people want it). I view the internet the same way I view self-driving cars; while some of us might not like it there is no denying it. (As a car collector and a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club, I am no fan of a self-driving car. A huge part of the enjoyment, in my opinion, is driving antique cars. But in 20-25 years the roads will be filled with self-driving cars, it is inevitable.)

So while our hobby might not like the internet; we should not resist embracing what is certainly a critical aspect of the future.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
694 Posts
Posted 10/31/2016   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don: I do use the internet as I noted. But like everything, internet usage should be done in moderation. I haven't sent in a mail bid to an auction all year, except one that is a mail-only auction. I don't see much reason to keep auction print catalogs; unless there is something really special; because the lots are on line.

But, my main collecting specialty (Portuguese colonies) is esoteric enough that the net actually serves little purpose for adding to those collections.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
482 Posts
Posted 10/31/2016   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like the idea of combining with coin shows, at least for smaller, local/regional shows. Financial considerations aside, there's also a lot of crossover between stamp and coin collectors.

I suspect a number of collectors will come from cross over hobbies such as someone interest in certain topics (all things birds, etc). They may or may not expand their interests,

Al
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Having trouble with Czechoslovakia stamp
  Holiday Windows perf errors
  New Edition of Michel Zeppelin Catalog Coming Soon
  Canada C-1 sheets of 50
  Norway 1932 Scott #154-157 2 sets, mh and used
  Sudden Appearance of POP-UP AD
  I fined that lot what do you think it is possible
  Has the APS started to accept Paypal yet?
  Come to Wiscopex '17!
  Come to Baypex Green Bay '17!
  Come to Stampfest '17!
  Canada C-1, any one know of sheets of 50 that have ever been available?
  1938 Jamaca Scott 116b Watermark Sideways cv $9000 does anybody know?
  Difficulty Purchasing the USA Star coils
  Cancel to order - why are they worth so little
  Don't know which choices to make
  When does the hobby become a business?
  Help me identify (2) mystery Mexico Stamps?
  Does anyone know what this 3 cent stamp is from 1909 ?
  What kind of features do you expect from digital (philatelic) publications?
  Principality of Trinidad stamps -Principauté de Trinidad
  Scott numbering system
  Another Ebay auction that is too good to believe
  Is this a improperly perforated South Australia one penny
  Latvia 1919 official 10 KON dark blue color shift.

Having trouble with Czechoslovakia stamp
  Whats in your Library?
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  perf punch on back of stamp
  Collecting by Engraver
  New sub-forum for the 'I Inherited some stamps' posts
  New Edition of Michel Zeppelin Catalog Coming Soon
  Denmark Scott 597 & 598 , printed photogravure or offset ?
  What kind of features do you expect from digital (philatelic) publications?
  Black and White Stamps
  North and South Korean Stamps
  BEARS on Stamps... Minus Polar Bears!
  Difficulty Purchasing the USA Star coils
  Let's see your most recently purchased stamps
  US #505 Five Cent Die Error and other news of the day
  I fined that lot what do you think it is possible
  Canada C-1 sheets of 50
  Holiday Windows perf errors
  Some post cards Does it have any value?
  Curious about Webstore anyone heard of or tried it?
  Norway 1932 Scott #154-157 2 sets, mh and used
  Don't know which choices to make
  Zeppelin Mail -- Graf Zeppelin (LZ-127)
  Scouting stamps from around the world
  Tall Ships on Stamps

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.7 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05