Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Your thoughts on APS "Circuit Books"  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
Posted 10/01/2016   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to get into the circuit book loop, but I often cannot realistically pass them on within 7 days.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4112 Posts
Posted 10/01/2016   8:39 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greaden, since you are a member of APS, you could always look into the "Sales Talk" that appears each month in the Journal. If you have a need for keeping a circuit longer, get in touch with the folks who run the circuits. They will try to accommodate you, I am sure!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1777 Posts
Posted 10/02/2016   01:39 am  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not crazy about the 7-day turnaround, either, but I'll just have to make them a priority when they arrive. Most of the time it won't be an issue, but some weeks life gets too busy to devote much time to stamps. I understand why they do it - if they gave people 30 days, for example, the circuits would take forever to circulate. I'm glad to send it on quickly if it means getting more shipments sooner.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
982 Posts
Posted 10/02/2016   06:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mobilman44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good info and opinions folks - Thank You.

Question..... assuming 10 books may be sent at once, how many individual stamps would we be talking about? Yes, I know the books would not be full, etc., but "ballpark", how many would be considered "the usual"?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
190 Posts
Posted 10/02/2016   07:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dkabq8 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my 2nd collecting phase (mid to late 90s) I was an APS member and was a member of a couple of circuits. I found them to be worth doing.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4112 Posts
Posted 10/02/2016   09:01 am  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mobilman, it depends on how many were in the book to start with and how many were taken out.

Peter
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
Posted 10/02/2016   09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's been a long time since I sold anything on a circuit. The books used to be 16 pages of 12 stamps per page if totally filled. Though most were never full and as Petert4522 said it depends on how many people have picked over the contents along the way. I just subscribed to Baltic States and there were times when I flipped thru the books and turned around and sent them on to the next member. And there were times I spent a lot of time going thru them and enjoyed picking over what was there and added some nice stamps to the collection.
Edited by John Freibergs - 10/02/2016 09:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2897 Posts
Posted 10/02/2016   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... The $6.80 forwarding postage is certainly high, but that is just a necessary evil ...

Its funny what 'counts', and what does not count.

I dumped a quarter in a parking meter in front of my bank the other day, and reflected that, if they charged me a quarter to make a deposit, I'd find another bank.

I paid round-trip subway fare each day I attended the WSS NY 2016 show, but would have thought twice about paying the same five bucks (and change) at the door.

I recently drove a round-trip thirty miles to pickup an auction lot that could have just as easily been shipped, but that was all about 'needing' to get out of the house for the drive, and had nothing to do with comparative costs or global warming.

Q/ Why do shipping fees stand out?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
872 Posts
Posted 10/02/2016   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shipping costs are very much like the costs of attending a stamp show. If I receive a 4 circuits in a year and I find a great deal of useful material, then I'm very inclined to continue receiving the books. And, if I drove to a particular bourse or show and found good material and received good information from sellers, I'd go back to that event. Before retirement, I flew to some shows and stayed in downtown hotels for several nights. The comparison of those costs with $6.80 priority mail is laughable.

When I find very little useful material in a circuit, it does make me reflect on the associated costs. They include not just postage, but the trip to the post office, as well as my time... which could have been used more productively.

Since I have been receiving APS circuits for quite some time (for one circuit, it has been 25 years+ uninterrupted), on balance I'm glad to be receiving them.
Valued Member
71 Posts
Posted 10/03/2016   12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add myfelixthecat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's like a dealer sending you approvals. When I collected general I was very harpy. Maybe if you have very narrow collecting interests it will be less rewording.
Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
Posted 10/03/2016   07:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been receiving circuits since the early 1980s and have found them very useful for enhancing my collections.

One advantage of circuits that I like is the opportunity to review a substantial variety of low or moderately priced stamps without a dealer hovering over me or collectors jostling each other for space at a dealer's table. Circuits offer an opportunity to view and learn how to recognize varieties of a stamp. On the down side, one has to be attentive to detail as sellers frequently misidentify stamps or fail to note small faults.

Overall, I consider circuits a worthwhile source for stamps. Right behind them is the APS stamp store.

Don
Edited by DonSellos - 10/03/2016 07:24 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
982 Posts
Posted 10/05/2016   06:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mobilman44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok folks, you convinced me! I got on the APS website and signed up for the circuits - Pre '40 USA, 19th century USA, and BOB USA. Have no clue when the first will arrive, but I will attempt to update this thread when it happens.
Thank you!
Valued Member
Canada
401 Posts
Posted 10/05/2016   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shipping fees are so different and more $$ in Canada, I feel these circuit books were designed for the US and not International members......any ideas or experience from Canadian Stamp APS members ? Thanks
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4112 Posts
Posted 10/05/2016   09:38 am  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shipping fees for APS circuit books are more reasonable than other clubs. I am a member of the Swiss stamp club and their circuits run over 11 dollars to ship. The APS allows one to ship their circuits in a flat rate box, hence the difference.

Peter
Valued Member
Canada
401 Posts
Posted 10/05/2016   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Peter - will check at the P.O. Also wrote to APS for their experience with Int'l- Rene
Edited by Renden - 10/05/2016 4:22 pm
Page: of 4  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Scott #964. Two stamps
  Help with watermark (small double line?)
  Scott 195 - Ink splatter ot re-emtry..?
  Soviet annexation of Poland 1939 stamp value
  New member from Sunset, Utah - Need help with Officially Sealed Stamps
  I can not identify what Stamp is #832
  Nauru - Emergency Overprint Issue of 1978
  Newbie query: Speed of issue of Nobel prize stamps by small countries, collecting opinions?
  German Empire "Deutsches Reich" 20pf stamp imperforated
  Hodge Podge of stamps I need help identifying (Part 2)
  Hey, nice printed cance... wait, what?
  Victorian Penny stamps inherited - opinion on value
  eBay "Pretty Blue" typo, Slightly over priced!
  Canada Post Details Magazine
  Recent Spanish Acquisitions
  Pages for Canada Precancels
  Can collecting be a great investment as well as a great interest?
  Sorting through a shoebox of mixed world stamps
  1906-08 MLH guide line pair scott #314 schermack perforation.help me value my line pair?
  Auxiliary Handstamp: CALLED OUT
  Unknown stamp red no value
  Don't be deceived by this odd item
  1934 Stamp Club Menu overprint
  Selling $3 Columbian on Delcampe....
  Steiner pages for Canada

Scott #964. Two stamps
  eBay "Pretty Blue" typo, Slightly over priced!
  More philatelic butchery
  Australian Perfins and Perfin Varieties
  Canada: New Star Trek Stamps
  Help with watermark (small double line?)
  Bees - Honey Bee Stamps, Beekeeping, Apiculture
  New member from Sunset, Utah - Need help with Officially Sealed Stamps
  Belgium : Stamps on Steiner Pages.
  Scott 195 - Ink splatter ot re-emtry..?
  Lets See Your SOUVENIR SHEETS!
  Soviet annexation of Poland 1939 stamp value
  Reverse print on reverse!
  Canada Stickney Rotary Press vs Flat Plate Press Medallion Stamps
  Victorian Penny stamps inherited - opinion on value
  Auxiliary Handstamp: CALLED OUT
  German Empire "Deutsches Reich" 20pf stamp imperforated
  I can not identify what Stamp is #832
  1c 1851 Plate 3 Stamps
  Nauru - Emergency Overprint Issue of 1978
  Founded collectable British one pennys
  Hey, nice printed cance... wait, what?
  Collecting by Engraver
  Let's Dance
  Pages for Canada Precancels

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.67 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05