Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My last finding in kiloware  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Netherlands
99 Posts
Posted 07/17/2016   05:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add kilowarecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Hi !
My last finding in a kiloware lot of 9 kilo's was this:

I am not an USA collector, but this one is very nice!
It has a vertical and a horizontal fold, that doesn't matter to me!

I think it's a complete set of stamps in a sheet, 50 stamps in total.
Important for me is that it is realy used, the sheet is on a part of an envelope, and what is important for me too is that a part of the cancel on the envelope. this means it is cancelled on the envelope, it's genuine.
Lovely stamps, complete set, sheet, I am happy with it!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Netherlands
99 Posts
Posted 07/17/2016   06:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kilowarecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now I see it has a Firstday of issue cancel!
Washington DC APR 14 1982 / 20066.
Printing numbers on the down leftside : 22222.
the sheet has some stain spots, but it is nice.
First time I see a complete sheet of USA!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Netherlands
99 Posts
Posted 07/17/2016   06:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kilowarecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now I see there are 50 birds and 50 plants on the stamps. Down left there is a Ring-Necked Pheasant on the stamp, this bird lives here in the Netherlands too! It has a Ring around the neck in white, but there is a variaty in this species that has no white ring. The white ring necked type is dominant, there are more with than without a white ring neck.
The pheasant comes originaly from Asia. I think it's spread all over the world.
7 stamps show a bird named Cardinal, its a red bird, it is quite common in the USA , thats what I think, or it is the favorite bird of the USA?
I saw once a bird from the American continent here in Europe, it was a Grey Junco!
She was in the city of Groningen, about 850 people have seen this bird .

One stamp shows a California Gull, this one looks like a Yellow Foot Gull that lives in the Netherlands,it looks like a Silver Gull too but that one has Pink feet.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 07/17/2016   08:35 am  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kiloware, congratulations on your sheet. It is one of the first times the US has printed a sheet with 50 different stamps on it, back in the eighties. If you look at the stamps you will note that each stamp has the name of a state on it. That is because the 50 state birds are celebrated with this issue. A state bird is usual the most common bird in that state. That is why you find seven Cardinals! Also, the plate number of your sheet is not 22222 but 22223!

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 07/17/2016 2:02 pm
Valued Member
Netherlands
99 Posts
Posted 07/17/2016   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kilowarecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Peter, but...
the plate-nr is really 22222
Edited by kilowarecollector - 07/17/2016 11:42 am
Valued Member
Netherlands
99 Posts
Posted 07/17/2016   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kilowarecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

a close up.
That the cancel touches the envelope is very important for me.
if I soak it in water a part of the cancel will be gone.
But now it is on paper, the cancel part on the envelope is the evidence that is was really used .
On paper it has now more value for me.
It has to stay on paper, that's the kiloware I collect, it should have a reason to be still on paper.
For example a stamp with a flag cancel has no extra value on paper but a stamp with a cds complete, has for me more value.
i love complete postmarks / cancels!
Learn More...
3056 Posts
Posted 07/17/2016   1:55 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In 1992 the USPS issued a "Birds and Flowers of the United States" book and dust jacket. It contained a sheet of 50 marked with the First Day Of Issue cancelled sheet on an envelope.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Commem...AOSwoudW7bsJ

here is another example
http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-1982-FDC...AOSwWTRWvUMZ

These never went through the mail, they were simply First Day of Issue items produced for collectors as favors. You could soak and remove it without effecting value if desired; the FDC cancel would still identify it.

The other condition issues that you mention do impact its value but it is worth keeping as an entire piece. The only real reason to keep it on paper is that you might damage it more if you try to soak it off.
Don
APS #094826

Edit: This issue contained one of two plate numbers; 11111 or 22222.
Edited by 51studebaker - 07/17/2016 2:10 pm
Valued Member
Netherlands
99 Posts
Posted 07/17/2016   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kilowarecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi 51 Studebaker, in kiloware it is a real finding, scarce finding, unexpected.
In a fdc collection it might be a less finding, and off paper it is as a complete sheet a finding too but the quality of this sheet is damaged quality. I could soak it and then split it up in nice pairs and blocks of 4.
The issue was in 1982.
It was not gone through the mail, I can't tell, I do not know how it worked in that time in the USA.
In the Netherlands, dutch fdc's went through mail in that time, they have an adress on the fdc.

Still I think it is as kiloware on paper a nice finding and I keep it on paper, once there will be a next finder, that is a part of my hobby too, so many generations were happy with kiloware on paper, I keep it , well the most of my stock, on paper, for the fun for the next generation,
and I don't mean the low values, I mean the findings.
For the Netherlands this sheet is a finding.
I have collected 1990-2000 dutch kiloware with mostly high values, about 10 kilo's its scarce maybe rare, no one has that, only me the kiloware collector since 1993.
Its a serious hobby with all my knowledge in it.
So thanks for the info 51 Studebaker and Peter.

It might be that I find some more special things this week in th e 9 kilobag!

Edited by kilowarecollector - 07/17/2016 4:06 pm
Learn More...
3056 Posts
Posted 07/17/2016   4:40 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Understood, I made no comments on the 'find'; its great that you are enjoying it.

But in one of your posts you indicated that it had gone through the mail, for your piece this was not the case. Your piece was cancelled in mass on unaddressed envelopes and never saw the mail stream.

Since this forum's content may be viewed for years to come, it is important that we try to post accurate information. Full sheets of this issue were used in the actual mail stream, but they would have to be used on very large parcels. If anyone comes across a full sheet, especially post marked on the day of issue, it would truly would be an unusual find. With one of these examples it would indeed be important to retain it on it's original paper and not soak it.
Don
Edited by 51studebaker - 07/17/2016 4:41 pm
Valued Member
Netherlands
99 Posts
Posted 07/17/2016   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kilowarecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yess I thought it had gone through the mail, it has a machine cancel sort of postmark.
For my kiloware it is ok, I have lots of stamps in it with first day of issue cancels from fdc's.
Mainly dutch from the eighty's.
If the sheet was realy used for sending post it would be spectacular!
The rate should be 50 x 20c is $10,00.
I had once a dutch Christmas sheet on an envelope, 20 x 55 ct is 11,00 guilders that was the tarif/rate for an inland registered envelope. that was spectacular, I gave it to the dutch postmuseum.
I think it was a fdc, real used and carried by the post.
I made more of these spectacular things, in the 90's it was part of my hobby to make rare things.

For example I have a postcard with a block of 4 , the stamps had a low value of 25 cents, x4 was the rate for postcards to Germany. a single franking of the stamp does not exist, the lowest tarif was 80cents in that time.
so 4x 25 c was 1 guilder, its unique.
But thats not kiloware!
Learn More...
3056 Posts
Posted 07/17/2016   5:48 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, I sometimes buy collections from a dealer in the Netherlands. He is always kind enough to completely cover the parcels with full sheets of Netherland stamps! He even goes to the trouble to first adhere them to a sheet of paper, then attach the paper to the package. This makes removing them, with the cancels intact, much easier. Keep searching for cool things (especially modern stamps); this is what keeps the hobby interesting.
Don
Valued Member
Netherlands
99 Posts
Posted 07/17/2016   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kilowarecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought once kiloware from a dealer, the kiloware contained many blocks of four from eastern europe, CTO cancels, in the center of the blocks, it was fake, the stamps were never used for postage but were used to get foreign currency for those countries. So making good kiloware needs a lot of knowledge about rates, stamps, the postorganisation, rates etc. Losing a customer goes fast and getting a new customer goes very slow.
By the way I am not here to sell kiloware, I love it to talk about stamps and kiloware. This is the right place to be for that.
I sell kiloware in the Netherlands on the internet, it took 5 years to buid this business up, now I have customers that buy my new lots within a few hours. customers that buy again and again satisfies me a lot.
Its not easy to find new lots of kiloware to fill the gaps in my stock.

Some postoffices here say that you can't use stamps for a parcel, thats because they make less profit if they accept a parcel with stamps. Since I moved its going better, in my village I can send parcels with stamps.
The stamps on a parcel make the difference.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 07/17/2016   7:10 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kilowarecollector, what exactly is your definition of "kiloware"?

Peter
Valued Member
Croatia (Local Name: Hrvatska)
111 Posts
Posted 07/18/2016   04:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add The_Pope to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I must ask. Have You ever seen good kiloware if that sheet is good finding for You?
Valued Member
Netherlands
99 Posts
Posted 07/18/2016   12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kilowarecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Peter and The Pope,
My definition of kiloware is the same as others, but I collect kiloware and what I collect is kiloware on paper. It should be on paper.
So I start with 1 kilo lets say 200 diff./ $50,00 after a time I buy again 1 kilo is still $50,00 per kilo but then I have double quantity 400 different stamps, I sell 1 kilo with 400 diff. , left over for my stock 1 kilo $50,00 and 400 different instead of 200 different stamps.
After a time I have 1 kilo all different stamps. That is in theory how I do it.
The quality should be as good as possible, sometimes I have no choice. my last buy, 9 kilo USA wass mainly "flag"cancels, it is only for my stock that I will sell, for a low price.

And the sheet is a finding , at least for the USA kiloware that I have, because there is no kiloware for sale in fine used quality.
It has stains, but it is a complete sheet, it has a fine cancel, its rare here in the Netherlands.
I have some good USA, came from a flower exporter to the usa, all higher values, it is in my world mixtures, I have no seperate USA kiloware on paper. Only the 9 kilos that I have to sort out, on colored paper, and damaged stamps I remove, so thats a little upgrade.
Then I split it up in old, 2013, 2014 and "larger format like commem's and Christmas.
Last time I bought USA 9 kilo was in 2001, and now I remember why, its the cancels, for my stock its not good enough but I have to accept it there are no cds stamps here .
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
519 Posts
Posted 07/18/2016   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KIloware,

I like your personalized Pope Francis stamp! Was it in kiloware???
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  New member from Sunset, Utah - Need help with Officially Sealed Stamps
  I can not identify what Stamp is #832
  Nauru - Emergency Overprint Issue of 1978
  Newbie query: Speed of issue of Nobel prize stamps by small countries, collecting opinions?
  German Empire "Deutsches Reich" 20pf stamp imperforated
  Hodge Podge of stamps I need help identifying (Part 2)
  Hey, nice printed cance... wait, what?
  Victorian Penny stamps inherited - opinion on value
  eBay "Pretty Blue" typo, Slightly over priced!
  Canada Post Details Magazine
  Recent Spanish Acquisitions
  Pages for Canada Precancels
  Can collecting be a great investment as well as a great interest?
  Sorting through a shoebox of mixed world stamps
  1906-08 MLH guide line pair scott #314 schermack perforation.help me value my line pair?
  Auxiliary Handstamp: CALLED OUT
  Unknown stamp red no value
  Don't be deceived by this odd item
  1934 Stamp Club Menu overprint
  Selling $3 Columbian on Delcampe....
  Steiner pages for Canada
  Australian Penny Red (2)
  Getting Acquainted with Collecting
  New one and two cent acquisitions
  Founded collectable British one pennys

Canada Stickney Rotary Press vs Flat Plate Press Medallion Stamps
  Bees - Honey Bee Stamps, Beekeeping, Apiculture
  Victorian Penny stamps inherited - opinion on value
  New member from Sunset, Utah - Need help with Officially Sealed Stamps
  Auxiliary Handstamp: CALLED OUT
  German Empire "Deutsches Reich" 20pf stamp imperforated
  I can not identify what Stamp is #832
  1c 1851 Plate 3 Stamps
  Nauru - Emergency Overprint Issue of 1978
  eBay "Pretty Blue" typo, Slightly over priced!
  Founded collectable British one pennys
  Hey, nice printed cance... wait, what?
  Lets See Your SOUVENIR SHEETS!
  Collecting by Engraver
  Let's Dance
  Canada: New Star Trek Stamps
  Australian Perfins and Perfin Varieties
  Pages for Canada Precancels
  Belgium 1946 Provisional Surcharges
  Can collecting be a great investment as well as a great interest?
  Newbie query: Speed of issue of Nobel prize stamps by small countries, collecting opinions?
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Recommendation re: good UV lights?
  Hodge Podge of stamps I need help identifying
  Inherited...USA...mint blocks & sheets...catalog them?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.71 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05