Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Spink USA Recovers Long Lost 24c Inverted Jenny  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

United States
745 Posts
Posted 04/15/2016   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Press release I got today in my email:

Spink USA is proud to announce that on 1 April a recovery was made of a long-lost 1918 24c Jenny air mail with center inverted when a prospective consignor, who had inherited the stamp, delivered it to their auction galleries for sale.
After careful expert examination the rarity was determined to be position 76 in the pane of 100 subjects. This position is the bottom right stamp from the famous McCoy block of four, which was stolen out of its exhibition frame in 1955 during the American Philatelic Society convention in Norfolk, Virginia.

Ethel McCoy had purchased the block, from positions 65-66, 75-76, in 1936 from stamp dealer Spencer Anderson for $16,000 and it was her most prized possession. After the theft, the block was broken into four singles, and each copy was altered to disguise its appearance.

Position 76 recovered by Spink had been reperforated at right and most of the gum was removed, so the pencil position numbers written on the gummed side had been lost, making identification a challenge.
In 1979 Ms. McCoy assigned all her rights to the block to the American Philatelic Research Library at the American Philatelic Society. Position 75, the top left stamp, turned up in 1958 at a Chicago stamp and coin dealer's shop and position 65, the bottom left stamp, was recovered in 1982.

George Eveleth, Head of the Philatelic Department said: "This is one of the most exciting events in my 38 year career in the stamp auction business." Once legal matters are settled Spink USA will be returning the stamp to its rightful owner, the APRL.

Further images are available on our website here:
https://www.spink.com/press-release...ps&year=2016

For more information, please contact: George Eveleth
Tel: +1 212 262 8400 | Email: geveleth@spink.com
SPINK USA | 145 W. 57th St. 18th Floor | New York | NY 10019
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
36 Posts
Posted 04/15/2016   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, exciting news! Does this mean there are only three unaccounted for now?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
2617 Posts
Posted 04/15/2016   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Announced on April 1st? Seems a strange date to make this kind of announcement.
Don
APS #094826
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6367 Posts
Posted 04/15/2016   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think they announced it today. But the actual "discovery"/identification was made on April 1. Probably not the news that the prospective consignor wanted to hear.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6367 Posts
Posted 04/15/2016   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't been keeping up recently, but the last time I updated my list, and removing #76, leaves the following positions unaccounted: 49, 66, 79, and 99.

But again, I haven't updated the list this decade. Does anybody know if any of those 4 have been recovered this past decade?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2548 Posts
Posted 04/16/2016   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting ----The story is that a 20 something young man in England had it and consigned it . He claims that he inherited it from his Grandfather .It will be interesting to find out who his grandfather is .
The young guy wasn't too bright in shipping the stamp to Spinks and having it sent to New York . My guess would be to send it somewhere that doesn't have legal standing with the U.S. and then have it sold there .But its good that the A.P.S. will final get ownership and most likely have Spinks act as auctioneer .
I am waiting to understand how the grandfather came in possession and if they can reconstruct the movement of that stamp thru 60 years .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1852 Posts
Posted 04/16/2016   5:53 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you know the Chicago stamp dealer Mr Castelli, who is referred to in one of the news articles, Floortrader?
Pillar Of The Community
508 Posts
Posted 04/16/2016   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
just a minor point, but APS doesn't own it, APRL does.
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
Posted 04/16/2016   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knuppster59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty cool to hear after all these years one of them turns up. It will be kind of neat if they can find the trail of how it wound up in this guy's grandfather's possession.
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 04/17/2016   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add irisgarden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a question I'm sure someone knows the answer to. The block was owned by Mrs. McCoy who purchased it in the last 30's. There has been speculation for years what happened to these stamps. By any chance did the term "The real McCoy" originate from this block of stamps?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3747 Posts
Posted 04/17/2016   11:08 am  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely not. If you Google the saying Wikipedia will give you a much more likely answer! The saying is at least 100 years older than Mrs McCoy.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
754 Posts
Posted 04/17/2016   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From what I recall in my reading about this, a then prominent PA auction dealer may have been implicated in the theft. All involved are deceased now so no point in naming anyone, but the dealer may have serve as a 'fence' for the people stealing the stamps.

BTW, we have two separate threads on this topic, shouldn't they be combined?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2548 Posts
Posted 04/17/2016   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff ----who me ?..... I don't know nothing about nothing .....I don't know nobody .....why would you ask me about guys like Louie and Marky and those Spilotro brothers all sound like shady characters dealing in stolen "Jennies".....me I don't know nothing about it .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2548 Posts
Posted 04/17/2016   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
STAMP 1962 ---Not likely that the thieves would get a civilian involved in trying to fence a hot item like that block of Jennies . The normal method of handling hot stolen property would be for it to move up the chain in the underworld ,with each "pawner" get a small profit to move it up . The big bosses who know little about stamps but know its valueable would have it and then get somebody who they trust who has handled stolen coins and stamps for them in the past . This would be the guy who would break up the block and hide its appearance before it is shopped around for a buyer who doesn't want the police around .
Going from the stamp show in Virginia to Northbrook Il. that block went up the chain of commamd to the top bosses of the Chicago Crime Family .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
646 Posts
Posted 04/19/2016   09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. I missed the news until I got one of the Linn's email newsletters this morning. I hope we get a lot more details on where this stamp has been since 1955. Fascinating stuff.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1852 Posts
Posted 04/19/2016   11:38 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floortrader

Odd that Castelli would publicly have offered the stamp, rather than looking for an under-the-counter sale. I wonder if he was the source of the other recovered copy?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Hungary Charity Overprint from WWI
  I discovered I was blocked from bidding
  R24c your thoughts please
  Some postage stamps I think it's Variety.
  Belgium King Albert I 1915-1920 15c color Vareity..؟؟؟
  Spain , Scott 277 color Vareity..؟؟؟
  value of a couple of stamps
  a question about 1kr deutsches reich stamp
  Ebay buyer not paying - what is process?
  Help with SAAR Scott # 6 and 14
  Scott 6 -Nova Scotia - Another plate scratch..?
  Soviet Union 1958 Civil Aviation Error stamp
  Scott 11 Nova Scotia - possible variety..?
  eBay Advice: Ditch the Unique, List Commodities
  Is There a Best Los Angeles Dealer to Sell Inherited Stamp Collection for Fairest Price?
  "Back to fix title" message
  Plz help identify stamps and varients.
  Stamp Smarter February Contest - Win a Tablet!
  The Stamps of Lithuania.
  1 cent Franklin Green Surcharged 1 cents Stamped Envelop Question
  Penalty for Private Use Cover with MisPlaced Notice
  Nyassa reprint identification
  1959 Postage Due series different colors
  Philippines Japanese occupation postage due NJ1
  This is so far back in the book it's not listed

Some postage stamps I think it's Variety.
  BRIDGES,BRIDGES,BRIDGES! on stamps
  Belgium King Albert I 1915-1920 15c color Vareity..؟؟؟
  R24c your thoughts please
  danish classics, show them to me.
  Need Help Identifying Japanese Postmark On Zeppelin Postcard
  DWI scott 11 normal? arabesque
  Finland 40 penni 1866 - need help - forgery ?
  1959 Postage Due series different colors
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Philippines Japanese occupation postage due NJ1
  Latvia Sc. 1 - Remove hinges
  Roman States Scott #15 (A15) 10 cent Black,Vermilon,Imperf 1867
  Hungary Charity Overprint from WWI
  Mathematics on stamps
  Frogs and Toads on Stamps,Covers and Postmarks.
  what are perfins. found a page of them
  Old germany stamps , any value?
  Help with Sweden stamp.
  a question about 1kr deutsches reich stamp
  Honduras Comayagua Issues
  GB #16 color identification?
  Sierra Leone Forgeries
  Philosophical guidance on plate flaws
  New Canadian "Kiosk" Stamps

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.97 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05