Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

trades worldwide  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
161 Posts
Posted 08/05/2015   10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ronv to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
I'm new at this so I haven't thought through the details yet. I have lots of duplicates and I'm not sure I want to do the e-bay thing. My goal is to obtain more stamps for my collection so it seems that trading might be a good option. I'm just not sure exactly how to go about it, so I'm looking for advice. Most of my stuff is low value. I have lots of used US so I'll start with that. I could put together a group of say 100 used US before 1950 in exchange for the same from another country. These would be mostly minimum value stamps. Or I could put together a group of stamps with a value a little above the minimum and trade based on catalog value. What kind of package would be of interest to folks out there?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4031 Posts
Posted 08/05/2015   10:52 am  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ronv, that is a very general question. There is most likely interest in just about anything out there, but how do you get there? Have you maybe thought about making packets of let's say 100 and sell those on E-bay? Some folks on this forum do exactly that and are successful at it.
You could always donate some of your duplicates to the APS, they have programs to help kids start a collection.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
Posted 08/05/2015   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tlmcca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ronv: You can also check out Keijo's stamp exchange on his blog site http://www.stampcollectingblog.com/. I've not used it myself but it seems like a good way to go.

Terry
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
Posted 08/05/2015   1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ronv to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Peter and Terry for reply. I'm going to give it a shot here. To be specific, I will send 100 different US stamps all from the 1940's or before for your 100 different, 40's or earlier from another country. We each pay postage. Any interest?
Pillar Of The Community
Finland
616 Posts
Posted 08/06/2015   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You can also check out Keijo's stamp exchange on his blog site http://www.stampcollectingblog.com/. I've not used it myself but it seems like a good way to go.

That my site / blog. Thanks for the 'praise' (you should really give my swap a go some day).

Anyway, since ronv wrote 'not sure exactly how to go about it, so I'm looking for advice', I'll try give few words of the advice.

Quote:
I have lots of used US so I'll start with that...put together a group of say 100 used US before 1950 in exchange for the same from another country.

This is probably the biggest turn-off. Most folks who have been collecting / exchanging for years (or decades) already got just about all 1940s (and 1950s, and...) US stamp, so there's very little incentive to have a go with your offer. On the other hand if you could provide something like '100 SON/SOTN/bullseye cancelled' US stamps from the era, at least a few of collectors would be jumping all over your offer by now ;) What works for me is that I provide versatile worldwide mixtures (from Aden to Zanzibar) with very few (usually zero) stamps from countries such as US and UK (because everybody's got plenty of those).

Another issue is the lack of specifics... Are you providing small or large stamps? What do you want in return. And.. The more details about your offer you provide, the better response you get.

And finally, the amount... It's not easy to come up with 100 different pre-1950s stamp of a single country. Even experienced swappers (like yours truly) would have hard coming up with your requirement. Again, you might like to try something like '20 countries, 5 different small stamps from each' approach.

In the end this is not rocket science. A bit of common sense takes you a long way... Just my 5 cents worth,
-k-

Collecting the world 1840 to date one stamp at a time.
Author & owner of Stamp Collecting Blog
Pillar Of The Community
United States
526 Posts
Posted 08/06/2015   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hieronymus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now I have a question for Keijo. I had seen "mostly large" or "mostly small" stamps used in kiloware descriptions but thought it was aimed at dilettantes who didn't know stamps and to whom large and small were useful descriptors but which would be ephemeral to experienced collectors.

Now I see Keijo using them. Okay. . . . . . So, does "small" mean, effectively, definitives and "large," more or less, commemoratives or non-definitives, because definitives often have been smaller than commemoratives? Or is it a reference to weight--larger stamps will weigh slightly more than smaller ones so kiloware with mostly large will have fewer stamps per gram of weight??? Or is there something else going on here??? Help me out!
Edited by Hieronymus - 08/06/2015 08:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
Finland
616 Posts
Posted 08/06/2015   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hieroymys,

actually I was trying to keep things 'simplified' for ronv (especially as he was offering US stamps where the variety in size and stamp types is pretty limited). Possibly a bad idea especially when I had written the advice 'be specific', LOL.

Anyway, on my exchange I use terms 'definitive' and 'commemorative' only and go with definitions per Michel. The airmails I usually classify as definitives (though there are some exceptions that commemorate an event, and they get classified as commemorative) whereas semipostals end up with commemoratives. Postage dues, postal tax stamps, officials etc. end up on the BOB category.

But true... Drawing the line between 'large' and 'small' is difficult, and it can vary country to country.... For example I've got a '10 ounce box of large Fiji' waiting to get sorted. In reality it's about 95% pictorials (large sized definitives) and 5% commemoratives. If I was buying a similar box of US, I would expect the contents to be 95% commemomoratives and 5% defins.

Not really sure if using terms such as commemorative or definitive is any better because a lot of people can't seem to draw a line between a commemorative & definitive successfully. And these days there may not necessarily be such a line (thinking for example the Finnish Sibelius coil stamps: personally I classify them as definitives, but Michel says they are commemoratives).

No wonder everybody gets lost at it every once and awhile ;)

-k-

Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
Posted 08/06/2015   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ronv to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi scb. I really appreciate you responding to my post. Your advise is well taken. I can see now why trading is not easy to do. Maybe the e-bay route is the best approach. I just spent some time with your blog. Very interesting. I have a question about your exchange... If I understand, I send you a group of stamps (say 100)and you pick and choose what you want from my group. Say you pick out 50 stamps from my group. You send 50 of my stamps back along with 50 of your duplicate stamps. Do I get to pick and choose from the stamps you send me?
Pillar Of The Community
Finland
616 Posts
Posted 08/06/2015   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ronv,

Quote:
I can see now why trading is not easy to do. Maybe the e-bay route is the best approach.

It's the least work (especially if you don't start splitting hairs).

Alternatively you could simply offer 'large duplicate lots' for exchange and see if there are any takers. I do such special exchanges few times a year and usually everything goes out. That said, the postage is often times significantly more than than the 'value' of stamps. But in the end I get some new "junk" to research and dig into, lol.

Quote:
Do I get to pick and choose from the stamps you send me?

Nope... I understand it may sound unfair, but that's the only way to prevent a 'forever loop'.

-k-

Pillar Of The Community
United States
566 Posts
Posted 05/25/2016   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Ronv,
How's the stamp acquisition going? Have you been able to conduct any trades yet?
Was wondering if you have any recent (2000 to present) used USA stamps available for trading...

Dave N.
<><
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
Posted 05/26/2016   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ronv to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dave. No trades. I had actually forgotten about this thread. I can see where meaningful trades are going to be hard to work out. I am buying collections and large lots at auction about every month and my duplicate pile is growing... and growing. I need to figure out something. I have tried e-bay and stamps2go with very little success. I know I'm not the only person with a pile of dups. It seems that there should be a way to swap... As far as your request for recent US used... I may have a few but my focus is worldwide pre 1950 so whatever I have that would interest you is accidental. Thanks for your reply...
Valued Member
USA
304 Posts
Posted 05/26/2016   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add meostamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ronv. You may want to look at http://(20130207) Not allowed by the Staff.com I have been using it for the past year, making trades with overseas members of my 'common' used US & UN-NY issues. Basic membership is free. They use their own image based catalog that lets you build pictorial wish, swap and collections lists so others can 'see' what you have to trade or are looking for. For example, look at USA in the catalog section, sort by year and click on 1940. (The Famous American series). Click on any image and you will see a list of who wants it or has it in their collection or available for swap. Clicking on a name brings up that person's profile. They have their own private message option to communicate. Hope this helps. Mike / meostamps
Pillar Of The Community
United States
566 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ronv,

How's the stamping going?
I failed to mention that I also collect WW Airmail/Airmail Semi-Postal stamps (pre 1950 or so).
Have you got any dupes along those lines?
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
Posted 10/14/2016   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ronv to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dave. Good to hear from you again and I appreciate you keeping this thread alive. I have had no luck with trades. I may have a stray airmail or two floating around. Let me look tonight and see what I can find. What I would really like to do, I think, is to pick an area of common interest with someone (say british colonies) and swap piles of stamps. We could discuss the details ( # of stamps, all diff, etc).
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
Posted 10/17/2016   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ronv to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dave. I have attempted to put together a group of airmails to send you but without success. I have a few but not worth the postage. My main focus is British pre QE era and I have realized that many of the smaller colonies did not issue airmail stamps...Sorry.
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
Posted 11/08/2016   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ronv to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My first trade.... Steve (Partime) and I have traded a group of British stamps and I have filled a few holes in my BC collection. I hope Steve is as happy with his stamps as I am. So I'm ready to do it again. Anyone else? No real rules. Catalog value for catalog value.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Expect fewer stamps on your mail
  About Stamp memories
  United Nations 1948-1973
  Scott catalog 2018 edition to be 12 volumes
  Queen Victoria Penny Red Identification
  gernany - 1922 -1923 3000 Mk - blackish brown ??
  Need one more of these.
  Help with a US Internal revenue, series of 1875 - private?
  Advice for selling an Inherited collection on Ebay
  Print your own pages (like Steiner) but in SG format?
  1870 GB #58 where is the plate number?
  Set of 1932 Sydney Harbour Bridge stamps
  Spain - 75th Anniversary - Revenue?
  Request to Post Avatar
  Rare unique combination of cracked plates
  October 1862 Revenue Canx - Let's see them!
  Latvia New Year Postcards--Humorous? Quirky?
  Double and Triple Transfers
  Need advice on how to start a collection the 'right way'
  Want Lists Online? Etc...
  Cape of Good Hope : Revenues.
  Buying USA Discount Postage Stamps
  Need help identifying these stamps
  200 Reís Brazilian stamp. Any info on this?
  Medallion One Cent Blue?

Print your own pages (like Steiner) but in SG format?
  Expect fewer stamps on your mail
  About Stamp memories
  Double and Triple Transfers
  How can I tell if a stamp on cover has a watermark?
  Auction Purchase Destroyed in Mail, Is Anyone Liable?
  advice on selling collection of 2300 Austria
  Stamps on owls
  Advice for selling an Inherited collection on Ebay
  APS Survey Report Posted
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Scott catalog 2018 edition to be 12 volumes
  1870 GB #58 where is the plate number?
  Australian Stamp error?
  Stamp Smarter March Contest
  BRIDGES,BRIDGES,BRIDGES! on stamps
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Spain - 75th Anniversary - Revenue?
  Set of 1932 Sydney Harbour Bridge stamps
  APS selling membership lists?
  Let's see your most recently purchased stamps
  PMGS Stamp Album Page Generator for Scribus v1.2
  What FISH stamps do you have???
  Need help identifying these stamps
  Sailboats

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.8 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05