Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Will Stamp Collecting Endure as Snail Mail Dwindles?  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
2042 Posts
Posted 10/01/2015   5:06 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KGB

Sadly, I supect that many of the most valuable stamps are in the hands (for which read "bank vaults") of people with no interest in stamps whatsoever.

Geoff
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1425 Posts
Posted 10/01/2015   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The key to the survival are the young people and how to market the hobby to them. Ex. A lot of the Hollywood films are geared to the under 30 age group. They could care less what a 67 yr. old single male thinks of their film. Some of the films can now gross 200 million dollars in one day. Does are industry do that? I think not.

When was the last time you met a dealer under 30? A fair amount of dealers are as mentioned above; retiring from the job they worked at all their life, won't retire and end up working at being a dealer until they can't see or the stamp tongs shake so bad they can't pick up a stamp.

Women seem to be smarter at this as they've taken their Grandmothers 221K Singer Featherweight and put it to good use like quilting. There is an appeal that can span many generations unnlike our hobby.

I'm offering a basic stamp class to 3rd thru 5th grade and it seems to be popular. I'm appealing to them through the super hero stamps, baseball, and slowly I'm getting into the history that stamps offer. I'll let you know how it progresses. I'm stressing the fun of collecting and learning not teaching them flyspecking. My collecting started from my Grandfather who gave me his collection and gave me a basic starter education. We never once talked about prices of stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
626 Posts
Posted 10/01/2015   7:12 pm  Show Profile Check jim6092252's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jim6092252 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There will always be some collectors just a matter of how many
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
897 Posts
Posted 10/01/2015   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
dcaraz1949,

I am with you about collecting modern day contemporary stamps. But I went down the other path. That is, I do continue to collect the current US stamps. Very reluctantly. I refuse to go down the imperforate path. If I don't start collecting them, I won't feel compelled to collect them. My real interest, like you, is with the "Classics".

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 10/01/2015   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good for you, Tom!

I'm thinking about our having a stamp club gather at our local library, but, frankly, I'm tired of being in charge of things at this point in my life. We do have a club in a nearby city/town, but meetings are at night and I no longer drive after dark. (Hahaha, woe is me!)
Edited by KGB - 10/01/2015 7:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1425 Posts
Posted 10/01/2015   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that is an excellent idea. Through a little advertising make this available to the kids.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
586 Posts
Posted 10/02/2015   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sdtom are you an educator or provide the stamp class as a volunteer? Have you created a syllabus that you work from?
Edited by shermae - 10/02/2015 12:28 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2896 Posts
Posted 10/02/2015   09:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... I'm thinking about our having a stamp club gather at our local library, but, frankly, I'm tired of being in charge of things at this point in my life ...

The librarian might be willing to guide you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 10/02/2015   10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ikey, does this mean I have to pay off all the late book fines I've accumulated?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1425 Posts
Posted 10/02/2015   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sdtom are you an educator or provide the stamp class as a volunteer? Have you created a syllabus that you work from?

I am doing this on a volunteer basis although there is a fee for the class for materials (stamp pages, stamps. I do work from a syllabus but it can be ever changing. I do it to try in my small way to promote stamp collecting.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2896 Posts
Posted 10/02/2015   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... ikey, does this mean I have to pay off all the late book fines I've accumulated?

For a few years, some of them overlapping, my brother & I were 'guest workers' in a community less rich in administrative skills.

If you were departing government service - and most of the 'guest workers' were filling skilled slots in the local government - they held your last paycheck until ?21 ?22 different government agencies had certified that you did not owe them money.

Of course, this could get a little tricky. How do you pay your final telephone & electric & water bills, and have the service transferred out of your name, if you are still going to work every day and, presumably, in your apartment at night?

One of the twenty-plus agencies that had to certify you debt-free was the local library. Seriously? In a place known for its, uh, charming informality, you have to trust that the library logged back in every book that you ever borrowed & returned?

My brother suggested that, in your last few months, whenever you returned a book, you took a Polaroid of you placing the book into the hands of the lovely librarian. Times have changed - Polaroids are gone, and selfie sticks are everywhere - but it is probably still good advice.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
897 Posts
Posted 10/02/2015   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Way to go, sdtom. The low key approach is certainly the way to go. I'm sure the flyspecking will induce interest.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2896 Posts
Posted 10/02/2015   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to suggest an introduction via cacheted FDCs; they've got a neatly-cancelled stamp, a readable slogan, a city, a date, some nice artwork and, most important, a story to tell.

And, best of all, they are TFP (Tongs-Free Philately).

Yes, this from a guy who does not collect FDCs, but who would never think to introduce the hobby to a newcomer by flipping thru page after page of stamps.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1425 Posts
Posted 10/02/2015   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do have some first day covers without a cachet that I'm thinking about including in a class on the subject. It would allow the student to make his own cachet.
Valued Member
United States
48 Posts
Posted 01/08/2016   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gabriella77us to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Using the topics of the stamps (sports figures, comics, wildlife, etc.) seems to me like an excellent way to encourage beginning stamp collectors. Nice looking used copies of stamps featuring interesting topics are widely available. The recent self-adhesive stamps include many topics of interest, and can be collected on paper by those who don't want to deal with chemicals for getting them off the paper.
Edited by gabriella77us - 01/08/2016 10:22 pm
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  2017 Inaugural DCP envelope is now on sale
  GB SG7, Any Idea What Plate this May Be??
  Germany - 1922-23 40m greenish olive rare shade
  US Scott #2529C varriant
  Franklin 9c - The Eye Different
  US Scott national Album page
  Philatelic Calendar for April.
  Scott 88 - Engraver slip..?
  More Cartel shenanigans
  Great Britain Stamped Paper Revenues Question
  Stamps2Go- Anyone Else having Issues Tonight??
  Purple Heart Reissues
  Obvious reperf of Scott 309
  Question about Official release dates and "First Known Usage"
  Belgium Hexagon Cancels
  Old stamps from Asia and Russia
  Washington 1 green, rotary coil waste Scott 545 ?
  Some tagged/untagged stamps not in Unitrade.
  Nice Block Find R6 Stamps
  Belgian Numeral Cancels
  Belgium railway cancel on regular stamps
  Neat improper usage I found
  Switzerland BOB Postage Due
  Brazil International Postal Tax - Series B?
  Misidentified narcotic stamp, and fake as well

GB SG7, Any Idea What Plate this May Be??
  Modern Industrial Art and Design
  Medicine revenue experts -- what have we here?
  1c 1851 Plate 3 Stamps
  What Happened with Schaubek??
  US Scott #2529C varriant
  Germany - 1922-23 40m greenish olive rare shade
  Scott 88 - Engraver slip..?
  Philatelic Calendar for April.
  PMGS Stamp Album Page Generator for Scribus v1.2
  Scott 24 with a twist (curl that is!)
  Stamps2Go- Anyone Else having Issues Tonight??
  2017 Inaugural DCP envelope is now on sale
  Pick of the Day - SG125 Constant Plate Varieties
  More Cartel shenanigans
  Franklin 9c - The Eye Different
  Great Britain-1867 sc#57 plate 2 wmk maltese cross "ink error"?
  Purple Heart Reissues
  US Scott national Album page
  Great Britain Stamped Paper Revenues Question
  Double and Triple Transfers
  Digital album - presenting stamps on digital album pages
  Some tagged/untagged stamps not in Unitrade.
  Need Help With US Scott #101
  PNC Plate Number Coil

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.72 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05