Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any interest in world Postal Stationery?  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1014 Posts
Posted 08/02/2014   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing... :-)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
1545 Posts
Posted 08/02/2014   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some commemorative UK aerogrammes:

And an Irish Registered cover

Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 08/07/2014   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SidZiff to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an interesting World War I era occupation envelope. I find it just a bit odd that it has the English inscription "In Memoriam".

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
857 Posts
Posted 08/07/2014   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't "In memoriam" a Latin phrase (in memory of)?

Robert
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 08/07/2014   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SidZiff to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It does indeed mean "in memory of" but I'm not sure if it's proper Latin. I never really thought about it. I've seen the phrase used for funerals and such all my life and just thought of it as English.

John
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1014 Posts
Posted 08/13/2014   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SidZiff: interesting card. Haven't seen that one. Should probably keep my eyes open more often!
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 08/13/2014   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SidZiff to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I have a set of 4 values - 3c, 5c, 10c & 20c. I acquired them in the early 90s as part of an auction lot. I've never been able to find anything about them. Michel's Postal Stationary catalog doesn't list them but there is a note that there were private printings of the postage design.
Valued Member
Australia
429 Posts
Posted 08/14/2014   05:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YeaPolska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From Wiki - In memoriam, a Latin phrase that directly translates as "into memory",

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Memoriam

Those WWI private printings are nice, used ones are very nice to find, the ones for Poland keep going up in price
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1603 Posts
Posted 08/14/2014   06:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This UK Air Letter from Cursus could be checked for a variety/ rarity. Does it have this picture on the back? If so, does the caption read "Shakespeare Memorial Theatre"? It is, in fact, the Royal Shakespeare Theatre. The mistake/error was later corrected...but the corrected version is the rarity.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1014 Posts
Posted 08/14/2014   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SidZif: Higgins & Gage lists your envelopes. They are envelopes (if not mistaken) issued in 1914 (first item 3pfg) and 1916 other three. They were all printed by private order. The numbers are : I-K-B-6 (3 pfg); I-K-B-2 (5 PFG); I-K-B-3 (10 PFG); I-K-B-4 (20 PFG) cover. There is a little more write up on these, but enough for now.
Edited by PoStat4evR - 08/14/2014 9:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1014 Posts
Posted 08/14/2014   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SidZiff: Forgot to mention they are isted under Germany occupation of Belgium items.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1014 Posts
Posted 08/19/2014   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
scotzm: Getting a copy of the corrected version (Royal Shakespeare Theatre) is proving hard. I have my sources in the UK looking. I hear tell that a used copy of the "corrected version" is near impossible to obtain.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1603 Posts
Posted 08/19/2014   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My father collected postal stationery and got a freebee mint Shakespeare Airletter from a magazine or it might have been the Philatelic Bulletin or similar when it was being promoted. Chances are that it was the "error" first issue as it was an early promotion. I'd expect you would have to pay in the HUNDREDS of pounds for a "corrected" version.
eBay is frustrating as few Shakespeare Airletters are pictured other than the front. Good hunting...
Pillar Of The Community
1545 Posts
Posted 08/20/2014   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm afraid, I've got the cheap version of the Shakespeare air letter.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1014 Posts
Posted 08/20/2014   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the vast majority of us have the cheap version. As mentioned, the other one is pricey.
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  US $2 Inverted Jenny Stamp Sheet to Remain on Sell
  Full double transfer on R14.
  Latest on the Demise of Turbo Lister
  help identify greece stamp with overprints?
  British East Africa Questions
  Availability of "The Complete Deegam Machin Handbook"
  Help needed with 10c Banknote id
  "The Stamp Collecting Mania" in the NY Times
  Spain Civil war issue
  Uruguay cover to Germany 1937. Airmail route???
  Older Scott Specialty Slip Cases???
  Eid stamp issue (May 24/17)
  Scott 106xx-7-P6 Precancel
  Seeking advice/comments on collection organization and storage
  3rd Reich / Nazi stamps
  US Scott 443 Washington 1c line single?
  The Stamps of Tokelau.
  Moscow to New York: two letter-size envelopes w/ Scott Russia #C75 1 PVB
  Can someone check the Part II of the new Minkus Pages for Togo Please
  Is my Washington 2 Cent stamp an error or just an oddity
  Need help please on this 1870 2 cent jackson scott 135 Red???
  Private Auctions on eBay
  Woohoo! Went 3 for 3 at the Philatelic Foundation!
  Help re Postal Service eGuide to US Stamps

Can someone check the Part II of the new Minkus Pages for Togo Please
  Regency Stamp Auctions in St. Louis
  Seeking advice/comments on collection organization and storage
  Latest on the Demise of Turbo Lister
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  US $2 Inverted Jenny Stamp Sheet to Remain on Sell
  The Stamps of Portugal.
  Availability of "The Complete Deegam Machin Handbook"
  Everything's Coming Up BUTTERFLIES!
  Full double transfer on R14.
  German Perfin Catalog
  Stamps On Television
  GOLD is everywhere, everything is GOLDEN
  US Scott 443 Washington 1c line single?
  Harding 2c #613 - perf 11
  Older Scott Specialty Slip Cases???
  "The Stamp Collecting Mania" in the NY Times
  Woohoo! Went 3 for 3 at the Philatelic Foundation!
  Help needed with 10c Banknote id
  What are some RED CROSS stamps that you have??
  Lets see JEWELRY on stamps!
  Help re Postal Service eGuide to US Stamps
  Spain Civil war issue

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.62 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05