Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any interest in world Postal Stationery?  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42
Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 06/24/2014   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LarryBruce to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect it but when I buy boxes of stamp material some comes with it and here is some of it.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1014 Posts
Posted 06/24/2014   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LarryBruce: If you don't collect it, I would be happy to take the foreign material off your hands!
Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 06/24/2014   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LarryBruce to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
where were you when I listed it on eBay lol. I am not attached to it, what is it and what is it worth.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3527 Posts
Posted 06/25/2014   03:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This Anna postal stationery cover from Indore (Deschl E1)

was the only envelope issued by Indore; it's quite common, as these things go.

However, it has a nice strike of the Indore State post office at Ujjain, an important and very holy city in the neighbouring State of Gwalior. This was a unique arrangement between the Indore and Gwalior States, which allowed an Indore post office to operate on Gwalior soil. There was nothing identical anywhere else in India.

Another little point of interest about the cover is the address. It begins (enclosed by two sets of parallel lines) with the famous curse of 74 on anyone delaying or interfering with the letter. Frits Staal explained the curse this way:
"Envelopes even more than single stamps are often marked with scribbles, lines, dots, or other symbols that are supposed to prevent them from being taken away or opened by unauthorized outsiders. A similar practice adopted by Hindus in Jammu and Kashmir, Indore, Jaipur, and so on is to write: //74// at the beginning of the address to insure safe delivery of the letter. ... Professor Bruce Pray has drawn my attention to a story translated from the Hindi in Linguistic Survey of India, vol. VI, pp48-49 about the miraculous powers of song. The singer Tan-sen sang with such force that all the lamps at the court of Emperor Akbar lit themselves, and Tan-sen himself burst into flames and fell down dead. Earlier, he had warned that if such a thing would happen, he could be brought to life only by Queen Kamla of Chittaur. The Emperor therefore attacked Chittaur and a terrible battle ensued. Seventy-four and a half maunds (one maund being equal to approximately 80 lbs.) of sacred threads were collected from the corpses of the slain. Queen Kamla was taken prisoner, and when ordered to sing, she sang with such force that her soul burst its way through her skull and went to heaven, leaving the audience with their mouths open in astonishment. The number 74 is still written on letters as the strongest of seals, for "the sin of the slaughter of Chittaur" is thereby incurred by all who violate the letter."
Frits Staal, The Stamps of Jammu & Kashmir, pp124-125
Valued Member
11 Posts
Posted 06/25/2014   06:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mark14 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi..
Really nice collection. If do you like to sell all these antique stamps then please contact Tony Lester auction Ltd in the UK. they are provide flexible valuation and advices for your rare stamps.

http://www.tonylester.co.uk/

Edited by mark14 - 06/25/2014 06:40 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1014 Posts
Posted 07/01/2014   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a new one for me. It says MASHONALAND so spent days looking for it in H&G. Seems is was hidden in Rhodesia. Oh well, that is a new one for me as well. Win-win...

Issued in 1893 when area was under the Bristsh South Africa Company watch. Neat card.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 07/09/2014   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Q/ What is behind the propaganda design rocket in the indicia? An intergalactic metallic jellyfish?

Q/ Anybody care to guess what folk tale is represented in the artwork? Or what the chicks are doing?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 07/10/2014   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another one for World Postal Stationery, this time from Japan.

Pretty sure that this is one of their lottery postal cards.

I chose to redact the names from the English text.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2161 Posts
Posted 07/21/2014   3:53 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone recognize this coat of arms? I don't think this is an item of postal stationery as it's just a coat of arms on the front of an envelope, but I want to make sure before I dismiss it. No country name - no face value, etc.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1014 Posts
Posted 07/21/2014   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Massachusetts state coat of arms or very close.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2161 Posts
Posted 07/21/2014   5:33 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! It's the state seal - I've found other matches now that I have something to go by. Now I have to determine the age of the envelope. Might be some sort of state envelope stationery.
Valued Member
Canada
50 Posts
Posted 07/25/2014   8:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add agondocz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

A 1965 predecimal Australian aerogramme with an added 1c QEII stamp to pay the 9c rate in 1966.

Best wishes,
AndrewG
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1014 Posts
Posted 07/26/2014   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Andrew: Thanks for sharing the aerogramme. I like aerogrammes. They seem to have fallen out of favor amoung collectors, which is GOOD for those of us that still collect them. To bad no one does a world wide catalog of these anymore. Getting hard to find even the country versions printed locally in each country. Oh well, so much for progress...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1014 Posts
Posted 07/26/2014   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple of Falkland Island Aerogrammes.
1st is a an item issued on on "Liberation Day" in 1983
and the 2nd item came out in 1984.

Valued Member
Canada
50 Posts
Posted 08/01/2014   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add agondocz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

A different aerogramme from Australia:

The 1c QE II stamp is used to uprate the 9c aerogramme.

Note also the use of a mute cancel.

Best wishes,
AndrewG
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Please help with advice on brown paper acid stains...Plus
  Great Britain Early Cut stamp 1/2d Can anyone ID this stamp?
  1922 scott 562c 10 perf ? Opinions are welcome
  Help idenity these 2 postage stamps
  Sold what I believe to be counterfeit Vintage 2015 Forever stamps on Ebay
  Starter collection of US stamps
  Was I being shill bidded?
  Has anyone Seen High Value Jubilees on Cover?
  Marlboro NJ strange type is it a fake?
  Show us HOT AIR BALLOONS!
  German Essays revisited
  Help wanted to identify some more spanish stamps
  imperf 1871 hungary stamp? please help identify?
  Misdiscribed lots at Kelleher Auctions, Aldrich Auctions
  "Mail Early for Christmas" perfect cancel on Scott #721
  Can someone help with this DOUBLE IMPRESSION 1800s 2 cent US POSTAGE STATIONARY
  German 100 mark error stamp
  Questions on APS Circuit Status schedules..........
  Rochester T&T Type 232?
  Smartphone apps for stamp collecting
  What would you like to see for sale on SCF?
  Double impression, RN style
  Old stamp album with fungi - Anyone have experience using Lindner ERNI a + b?
  1922 5c 10perf roosevelt (557 scott)?
  Please use this for my avatar. Thanks

Starter collection of US stamps
  How to tell if a stamp has been reperfed.
  1922 scott 562c 10 perf ? Opinions are welcome
  Great Britain Early Cut stamp 1/2d Can anyone ID this stamp?
  Regency Stamp Auctions in St. Louis
  Help wanted to identify some more spanish stamps
  Find this? Italian
  Kuwait
  Guernsey scott 173-188 series
  Please help with advice on brown paper acid stains...Plus
  Misdiscribed lots at Kelleher Auctions, Aldrich Auctions
  Mexico - Lot of 4 Maximilian Stamps of 1866
  Farming/Agriculture on Stamps
  Canada Empress of Ireland press sheet
  Identifying Arab writing stamp
  Vimy Memorials
  american occupation of France 1944-please help me locate?
  Automatic Supplements
  Sold what I believe to be counterfeit Vintage 2015 Forever stamps on Ebay
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Best stamp hinges
  Rochester T&T Type 232?
  Please help identify three stamps ( France??)
  FOOTWARE - Shoes, Sneakers, and Other Foot Coverings!
  Was I being shill bidded?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.62 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05