Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

South Carolina Railroad certificates of indebtedness  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2600 Posts
Posted 02/20/2014   10:16 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
I've taken a shine to the lovely 2-sided certificates of indebtedness from The South Carolina Railroad Company. All used examples I've seen have revenue stamps affixed and are canceled in 1866.

What drew me to these are not only the aesthetics (the reverse reminds me of currency designs of the period), but the unusual denominations in which they are available. I have obtained examples of the following denominations:

$7.50
$15
$17.50
$35
$75
$175

They all have 5-cent 1st issue revenues affixed, except for the last, which has a 10-cent affixed.

There is also an $87.50 denomination, but I have not yet found an example that I liked enough to purchase.

Does anyone know whether these were issued in any other denominations that I don't list above? I'd love to put together a complete set.

Images below of the ones I have. Thank you for the assistance.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1947 Posts
Posted 02/21/2014   05:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are gorgeous. I love the intricate scroll work on the reverses.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12122 Posts
Posted 02/21/2014   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautifully engraved certificates. It appears to be the work of the American Bank Note Company of New York.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2600 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   6:24 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dredging this thread up from the deths as I've finally finished my set, acquiring the elusive $87.50 denomination. As far as I know, the only denomination I don't have is a $37.50 denomination, but it was never issued, so is not found with revenue stamps affixed.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1117 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Was the $175 certificate also dated Apr 2 1866? Very hard to with a blue cancel on a blue stamp. I notice that the certificates with the agriculture theme have red registration numbers and the trains have blue numbers. Also there seems to be A, B, C,& D series? They are beautiful. Thank you for showing them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2600 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   7:32 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
180 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are essentially unsecured promissory notes. The tax is 5 per $100 or portion thereof. Similarly, there are the larger $500 bonds of the same date issued the same date which have imprinted revenues. The first ones have the 25 RN-T4 imprinted. Apparently they printed up more later and these are imprinted with the 25 RN-U1, which came into use about 1871, if I remember correctly. This latter bond also has an imprinted 5 RN-Q1 next to a "certificate" attesting to the genuineness of these bonds. I used to own one of each and I always wondered why the original bonds, which have the same certificate on the reverse, did not have the 5 imprint. The explanation was that in 1866 these could be printed and imprinted without the government seeing and approving the imprinting. But beginning about April, 1867 orders for imprinting were submitted to Internal Revenue in Washington for approval. In this way the government was assured that the proper amount was being paid on these instruments. The earlier issue with only the 25 imprint evaded the certificate tax!

Ron Lesher
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  San Marino. Series on cover/ airmail questions.
  Is this a Franch colony stamp?
  Stamps of the Etappengebiet West
  1962 Great Britain Stampex Sheet
  Where can I find information on the value of this stamp
  Could these really be 634b??
  Sulfurized, oxidized 3c 1851-57 stamps. Is there a safe method to refresh the color?
  Chinese stamp I/D needed
  GB King Gv clarifications needed
  Possible 177 Special Printing?
  Share of a Nice double Var Small Queen 44a/ii
  "British Occupation of Iraq" Stamps - Where do they belong?
  Found sealed 2003 Old Glory Booklet bundle in late father's storage. I know nothing about stamps
  Hungarian Post Office Branch numbers
  Need details over Uruguay Air Tax from 1953 to 1959
  Farwell 409b coils never heard them, any ideas?
  Need informations over Air Tax from Colombia 1955 to 1959
  Brazil rates 1946-1950 : need details !
  Scott numbers for issue 19th december 2016 Argentina ?
  Travancore Anchel on SS overprint
  Stamp Fallen off at Toronto handstamp
  Ebay Stamp Sales Totals Last 90 Days
  British stamp mistery
  1897 Canada High Value Jubilees Opinions and Values please?
  Another stamp that needs to be identified...

A peroxide transformation
  Ebay Stamp Sales Totals Last 90 Days
  Sulfurized, oxidized 3c 1851-57 stamps. Is there a safe method to refresh the color?
  US Scotts 312 - offered on ebay - not
  Sweden and Denmark will no longer print engraved stamps
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Found sealed 2003 Old Glory Booklet bundle in late father's storage. I know nothing about stamps
  San Marino. Series on cover/ airmail questions.
  Is this a Franch colony stamp?
  Need help on saving stamps
  British stamp mistery
  Small contest - whats cool about these Mauritius stamps?
  Stamp Fallen off at Toronto handstamp
  Show us your U.S. revenue SOTN/bullseye cancels!
  Share of a Nice double Var Small Queen 44a/ii
  Nice mint stamps without gum
  "British Occupation of Iraq" Stamps - Where do they belong?
  20th century U.S. revenue plate varieties... nonexistent or no one cares?
  Stamps of the Etappengebiet West
  Need informations over Air Tax from Colombia 1955 to 1959
  Let's see your most recently purchased stamps
  Hands On Stamps
  danish classics, show them to me.
  BRIDGES,BRIDGES,BRIDGES! on stamps
  Doves as Symbols of Peace

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05