Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Belgian precancels  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
Posted 07/11/2013   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
I know that most collectors of U.S. precancels seem to collect them by precancel type, without regards to the type of stamp it's on. Are Belgian precancels typically collected the same way?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1941 Posts
Posted 07/11/2013   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No - most collectors of Belgium precancels collect them 'general' or one of each type on each denomination.
There are many thousand different and no collection is close to complete [at least in the USA].
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
737 Posts
Posted 07/11/2013   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ryan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Belgian precancel catalogue is split into two listing sections, one for roller precancels and one for typographed precancels. Every combination of precancel and stamp is listed. The roller cancel section lists over 6000 stamps, the typographed section lists over 800 stamps (as of the 1997 catalogue, the latest one I've been able to find). Also, for all the roller precancels and the typographed precancels up to 1937 there are separate prices for the various cancellation orientations available.

Ryan
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
Posted 07/12/2013   03:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! I had no idea. And I thought I had a nice selection with about 100 different ones. Thanks for the insight.
Valued Member
Netherlands
333 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   06:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jan-Simon to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
it is easy to find the common precancels, but the higher values are pretty hard to get. At least that is my experience.
It is a fascinating collecting area though.
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Without specialized literature or catalogs, hows does one know what the higher priced ones are? I can only assume that if I have 10 or fifteen duplicates of a particular one, then that one is probably a common one?
Valued Member
Netherlands
333 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jan-Simon to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I meant the higher nominal values. When you check the Belgian catalogue, these stamps have low catalogue values, only slightly higher than the low values in a set. The problem is that you hardly ever see them.

Take for instance this stamp:

The catalogue value is minimal, but I have never seen one of these precancels and there are 72 different ones of them!
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
Posted 07/20/2013   01:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And my next question was going to be "Do you have a some examples of the harder to find precancels?" I guess that answers it. I checked all of mine and have nothing remotely similar to that one. Most of mine are the typical rectangular ones from BRUSSELS.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12126 Posts
Posted 07/20/2013   04:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some might find this previous thread on the subject to be of interest:

http://goscf.com/t/7702
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
543 Posts
Posted 08/03/2013   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bamra1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Take for instance this stamp:

The catalogue value is minimal, but I have never seen one of these precancels and there are 72 different ones of them!

They are out there, but they are certainly not commom. I have two, so just the other 70 to go!

Quote:
"Do you have a some examples of the harder to find precancels?"

One thing to look out for is precancels on non-definitives.
You can find them on Postage Dues (nothing like as common in Belgium as they are in USA)

And here is an example on a commemorative charity issue:

Note that it has a surcharged revaluation for precancel use. SG lists and numbers all the definitives which were surcharged for precancel use - but does not list this.
For general readers who are not sure what I am talking about - these are they:

Not to be confused with these ones which were surcharged for postal purposes, and then subsequently precancelled:
Valued Member
Netherlands
333 Posts
Posted 08/05/2013   05:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jan-Simon to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These precanceled Anseele-commemoratives are new to me. I must have overlooked these in the catalogue, and do not think I have any of them.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Expect fewer stamps on your mail
  About Stamp memories
  United Nations 1948-1973
  Scott catalog 2018 edition to be 12 volumes
  Queen Victoria Penny Red Identification
  gernany - 1922 -1923 3000 Mk - blackish brown ??
  Need one more of these.
  Help with a US Internal revenue, series of 1875 - private?
  Advice for selling an Inherited collection on Ebay
  Print your own pages (like Steiner) but in SG format?
  1870 GB #58 where is the plate number?
  Set of 1932 Sydney Harbour Bridge stamps
  Spain - 75th Anniversary - Revenue?
  Request to Post Avatar
  Rare unique combination of cracked plates
  October 1862 Revenue Canx - Let's see them!
  Latvia New Year Postcards--Humorous? Quirky?
  Double and Triple Transfers
  Need advice on how to start a collection the 'right way'
  Want Lists Online? Etc...
  Cape of Good Hope : Revenues.
  Buying USA Discount Postage Stamps
  Need help identifying these stamps
  200 Reís Brazilian stamp. Any info on this?
  Medallion One Cent Blue?

How can I tell if a stamp on cover has a watermark?
  Print your own pages (like Steiner) but in SG format?
  Expect fewer stamps on your mail
  About Stamp memories
  Double and Triple Transfers
  Auction Purchase Destroyed in Mail, Is Anyone Liable?
  advice on selling collection of 2300 Austria
  Stamps on owls
  Advice for selling an Inherited collection on Ebay
  APS Survey Report Posted
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Scott catalog 2018 edition to be 12 volumes
  1870 GB #58 where is the plate number?
  Australian Stamp error?
  Stamp Smarter March Contest
  BRIDGES,BRIDGES,BRIDGES! on stamps
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Spain - 75th Anniversary - Revenue?
  Set of 1932 Sydney Harbour Bridge stamps
  APS selling membership lists?
  Let's see your most recently purchased stamps
  PMGS Stamp Album Page Generator for Scribus v1.2
  What FISH stamps do you have???
  Need help identifying these stamps
  Sailboats

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05