Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

starting to appreciate souvineer foldouts  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 11/21/2015   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to quit reading this post otherwise I will have to go to the antique store in town. Really liking these fold outs. Nice items everyone.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
Posted 05/29/2016   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My Dad handed me this recently,
a GPU Souvenir Folder of Thousand Islands, New York.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2888 Posts
Posted 05/29/2016   11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My local collectibles shop has a nice souvenir plate of the Thousand Islands Bridge et al, and I've got a batch of postcards from that area, and I still haven't parted with the ten bucks for the plate. Nice SPF. Cheers,
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
Posted 06/04/2016   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This souvenir foldout was sent to my grandparents (I whited out their names).

Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
Posted 10/09/2016   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh! I just found this fun topic! I have a few of these from places I've personally visited. Here are two from Cedar Point, which we frequented in high school. It's still going strong after more than a century, though today it's more of an amusement park than a resort. They even operate one of the original wooden roller coasters - the Blue Streak. I thought the zeppelin on the back was a nice touch. :-)

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
17697 Posts
Posted 10/09/2016   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Thailand
12 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   04:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PhuketMark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2137 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   07:17 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few of these around -

Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
Posted 10/11/2016   01:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So far the earliest posted fold-out in its typical format has been the 1907 Plattsburg piece. Is this about as far back as they go?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 10/16/2016   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have to quit reading this post otherwise I will have to go to the antique store in town. Really liking these fold outs.

Lol! After reading these posts and seeing these foldout, I felt envious as I'd not seen a foldout of Mendocino County. Later that after noon, I was browsing eBay and found a Mendocino fold out. Actually Sonoma and Mendocino Counties, but the majority of the 14 views are Mendocino. Unfortunately, un-used. I'll begin South in Sonoma County,

It wasn't until the mid 60's that California Hwy 1 by passed Fort Ross. Up till then Hwy went thru the middle of the Fort.

The next view is called Smugglers Cove, located north of Stewarts Point on what is now called The Sea Ranch. Sold in the 60's to Dole Pineapple. the Olsen ranch was originally a Spanish land grant, two cannon shots south of the Gualala River and one shot east from the coast is then local story. This cove can be reached on Smugglers reach, the name of the road the Sea r=Ranch built there, Last time I was there, there where about 20 more houses there.

Now we're in Mendocino County. This is the mouth of the Gualala River the Sonoma Mendocino county line. That's Gualala to the left and the Sea Ranch top right.

This view is of Fish Rock top left and Anchor Bay the other side of the point that house is on.

The beach at Anchor Bay.

Another 16 miles up the coast, you can turn left onto Lighthouse Road and see the Point Arena Light. Shown here in an aerial view.

The next view is of the Albion Mill flat, now a camp ground. The town of Albion was on both hill tops with the mill down on the river flat.
That bridge is the only wooden bridge still in use on a California Highway. It is built of Port Orford (Oregon) Cedar.

Mendocino Bay

The bridge at Russian Clutch, between Mendocino and Fort Bragg. So is Caspar but that town and bay are not included in this folder.

Noyo Harbor and marina. There was a town here, Noyo, around the bend in the river. Can be seen better in next view.

An aerial view show the Noyo River, Harbor, and Hwy bridge. Fort Bragg is on the north (left) side of the bridge. The town of Noyo was at the top left corner of this photo.

The last two are of the Skunk Depot and the Super Skunk. The trains got this name when they switched from steam to deasil fuel. They have rebuilt engine 45 ( a steam engine) and run it on weekend runs. If ever you get the chance, Ride the Skunk!

Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
Posted 10/16/2016   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And while we're in California, how about visiting Hollywood ... home of the stars! Some of these houses are probably still around -- I can't imagine how much this real estate is worth these days. These foldouts are from the early '40s, I think.

Edited by GregAlex - 10/16/2016 6:03 pm
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Guatemala stamp ?? Thanks for your help !
  ASDA Mid-West Postage Stamp Show
  New Online US Stamp Mount Finder Tool
  Regumming stamps - Why do it?
  Norway used lot off paper. 440 stamps.
  Places with philatelic references
  Need Help with understanding cancels France Ceres
  Question about Pricing of Korean Stamps
  Help needed identifying stamp
  Image naming : How to remove first 4 characters.
  Hi All, Could I get a certificate if this is a 534b ?
  possible 554d 10perf Washington 2cent
  Please help with these British Overprints
  Layout of De La Rue Sheets of 240 on early British Colonies
  How did early collectors keep stamps MNH??
  Barbados 1985 Marine Life and 1994 Ships Issues - date varieties
  J1 vs. J15 stamp size?
  Hi, Can I have help ich I believe is a 504 b type V11
  Indian collection of Feudatory States
  Looking for a Revenue Dealer
  Qatar AIRLETTER Shaikh Ahmad Ali al Thani
  K.B. Spezial Zeppelin Post Catalog
  Dubai AIRLETTER 1963 of 10r Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed
  The Edward VII Issue of Canada: A detailed study by George C. Marler
  New member have a stamp for grabs

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Bicycles on Stamps...
  Guatemala stamp ?? Thanks for your help !
  Image naming : How to remove first 4 characters.
  How did early collectors keep stamps MNH??
  danish classics, show them to me.
  Prephilatelic covers - any interest? Show - tell - ask - explain!
  Pottery, Ceramics, Porcelain, and other clayware
  Post your Inauguration Day covers
  Barbados 1985 Marine Life and 1994 Ships Issues - date varieties
  ASDA Mid-West Postage Stamp Show
  Curious about Webstore anyone heard of or tried it?
  Please help with these British Overprints
  Indian collection of Feudatory States
  New Online US Stamp Mount Finder Tool
  Need Help with understanding cancels France Ceres
  Regumming stamps - Why do it?
  Cancel to order - why are they worth so little
  Question about Pricing of Korean Stamps
  Are Duplicates Worth Collecting?
  Norway used lot off paper. 440 stamps.
  Places with philatelic references
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Help needed identifying stamp
  1938 Jamaca Scott 116b Watermark Sideways cv $9000 does anybody know?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.71 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05