Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

starting to appreciate souvineer foldouts  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 02/12/2015   11:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was a Plattsburgh in Missouri? Who knew? Thank you, MeadowviewCollector!

http://www.strategic-air-command.co...urgh_AFB.htm 'my' Plattsburgh

From either one, Matson would be pleased to help you vacation in Hawaii: A Steamer Every Wednesday

I love old photo collections like these because they let me see what someone else saw; it is not just how Hawaii (in this instance) looked back then, but how, say, my great-grandparents would have seen it.

I've run across a lot of individual (and series of) PPCs published by railways and, later, airlines; this is my first SPF published by a steamship company.

The full booklet is at https://www.flickr.com/photos/ikeyp...50795367025/

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
Posted 02/25/2015   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I found a few more of these souvenir foldout post cards. Most were addressed but at least one was unused.

I'll get around to scanning and posting them

-MV
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
Posted 02/26/2015   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I counted them up there are 13

Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
Posted 02/26/2015   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The Chicago one is actually smaller than the others though my scan makes it appear the same size as the others

Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
Posted 02/26/2015   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

These last two scans are the front and back of the same folder.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 02/26/2015   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations, MeadowviewCollector!

Both stampfan9 & I have commented on how few GPU (Genuinely Postally Used) SPFs we've come across; you've outdone us both!

In addition, you've got a nice variety of 'earlies', which are also less common than the later BIG LETTER whites & linens.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
Posted 02/27/2015   12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks iKey.

I thought the Air Mail Saves Times cancel on the Denver one was neat.

-MV
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
Posted 03/22/2015   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Super pictures and cards, I have not collected them in a while but just looking at them makes me want to start again. I really like the postally used but typically do not find them.
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
Posted 03/25/2015   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I am going to stop at the antique store this week to see what I can find
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 03/25/2015   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... I thought the Air Mail Saves Times cancel on the Denver one was neat ...

And it is!

Once you restrict yourself - to SPFs, or to Peru-to-Pittsburgh air covers, or whatever - things that are otherwise 'common' become harder to find and, by extension, more fun to find.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 03/28/2015   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SPF of New York City, c1886-1895.

Took a labor of love to date this one, but:

- the Statue of Liberty opened in 1886;

- the New York Herald (newspaper) moved (to a new Stanford White building) in 1895;

- I was not able to do anything with the JON J NAGLES DINING SALOON sign on one of the buildings.

I am falling down an SPF rabbit hole. Within living memory, I groaned every time an auction lot showed-up with these postable-but-not-a-postcard creations; but I actually went out of my way to pay cash money to own this one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ikeyp...51605464491/

Q/ Can anyone tell me about the printing methodologies used in the production of these images? (See the Lady's Hand, and Cleopatra's Needle, below). To my untrained eye, there were 3 passes: black ink (engraved), light brown (some kind of simple, maybe, lithograph), and dark brown (half-tone screen) ... but I would appreciate any clarifications & corrections.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 04/04/2015   12:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1893 World's Columbian Exhibition in Chicago IL USA ... courtesy of J & T Adikes

My guess is that this SPF is what is technically known as an 'advertising specialty' item; that is, something otherwise available for sale, to which has been added the name (etc) of the advertiser, in this case J & T Adikes.

I do not think that they commissioned the work, or that the copies imprinted in this fashion were distributed or available at the fair.

Instead, they would have given it directly to their customers; as it would have fit nicely in a #10 envelope, perhaps customers received one with their monthly statement.

J & T Adikes googled especially well:

http://fultonhistory.com/Newspapers...-%200137.pdf ... a lawsuit against the Long Island Rail Road, which had the temerity to want to move its siding, as reported in a 1914 issue of the Daily Long Island Farmer ... (see the 'lead', far below)

http://www.arrts-arrchives.com/JAMA...REIGHT2.html ... this labor-of-love LIRR history site includes an 1873 property map of that part of Jamaica - the J&T Adikes property is near the 'O' in 'DIVISION' street - as well as 3x pictures of the J & T Adikes building, one a little sadder than the other ...

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archiv...9C946496D6CF ... a 1915 corporate contribution of U$D 10 towards feeding the starving children of Albania ...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supreme...text/398/144 ... and, lastly, a 'serser' (search serendipity) item: "... Miss Adickes had been refused service by Kress because she was a 'Caucasian in the company of Negroes.'"

(This SPF - just like the NYC views, above - is in black, darker brown, and lighter brown. In this case, I suspect some sort of lithography for both browns. Again, I would appreciate clarifications & corrections & better guesses.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ikeyp...51236114038/ ... the SPF, compleat

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 04/08/2015   12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that the slogan 'stamped' on the face of this SPF reads "MAILED FROM THE TOP OF THE WORLD // C P R R", with the latter bit standing-in for the Canadian Pacific Rail Road.

However, Canadian markings are not my forte, so corrections & amplifications are invited.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 04/11/2015   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Further to the SPF "compliments of J & T Adikes" (above) I was, by luck-of-the-bay (and a few bucks), able to acquire a trade card:

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
873 Posts
Posted 11/13/2015   03:55 am  Show Profile Check Bas S Warwick's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few Australian ones which I will try to scan later

Here's a New Zealand one from Alexandra (South Island)

Edited by Bas S Warwick - 11/13/2015 03:56 am
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Please help with advice on brown paper acid stains...Plus
  Great Britain Early Cut stamp 1/2d Can anyone ID this stamp?
  1922 scott 562c 10 perf ? Opinions are welcome
  Help idenity these 2 postage stamps
  Sold what I believe to be counterfeit Vintage 2015 Forever stamps on Ebay
  Starter collection of US stamps
  Was I being shill bidded?
  Has anyone Seen High Value Jubilees on Cover?
  Marlboro NJ strange type is it a fake?
  Show us HOT AIR BALLOONS!
  German Essays revisited
  Help wanted to identify some more spanish stamps
  imperf 1871 hungary stamp? please help identify?
  Misdiscribed lots at Kelleher Auctions, Aldrich Auctions
  "Mail Early for Christmas" perfect cancel on Scott #721
  Can someone help with this DOUBLE IMPRESSION 1800s 2 cent US POSTAGE STATIONARY
  German 100 mark error stamp
  Questions on APS Circuit Status schedules..........
  Rochester T&T Type 232?
  Smartphone apps for stamp collecting
  What would you like to see for sale on SCF?
  Double impression, RN style
  Old stamp album with fungi - Anyone have experience using Lindner ERNI a + b?
  1922 5c 10perf roosevelt (557 scott)?
  Please use this for my avatar. Thanks

Starter collection of US stamps
  How to tell if a stamp has been reperfed.
  1922 scott 562c 10 perf ? Opinions are welcome
  Great Britain Early Cut stamp 1/2d Can anyone ID this stamp?
  Regency Stamp Auctions in St. Louis
  Help wanted to identify some more spanish stamps
  Find this? Italian
  Kuwait
  Guernsey scott 173-188 series
  Please help with advice on brown paper acid stains...Plus
  Misdiscribed lots at Kelleher Auctions, Aldrich Auctions
  Mexico - Lot of 4 Maximilian Stamps of 1866
  Farming/Agriculture on Stamps
  Canada Empress of Ireland press sheet
  Identifying Arab writing stamp
  Vimy Memorials
  american occupation of France 1944-please help me locate?
  Automatic Supplements
  Sold what I believe to be counterfeit Vintage 2015 Forever stamps on Ebay
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Best stamp hinges
  Rochester T&T Type 232?
  Please help identify three stamps ( France??)
  FOOTWARE - Shoes, Sneakers, and Other Foot Coverings!
  Was I being shill bidded?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.7 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05