Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Railroad Related Postcards!  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar Of The Community
United States
869 Posts
Posted 03/27/2016   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a scene of Hamburg's elevated commuter rail service. The train is moving over the Alster River, which is non-tidal and second in importance to the Elbe.

The postmark "Benutzt die Luftpost" means "use air mail".

The Hamburg post office was at 1 Muenzstrasse at the main railroad station.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by bookbndrbob - 03/27/2016 6:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
847 Posts
Posted 03/27/2016   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the modern view of "Union Street--Looking North From Bridge, Bellaire, O."

The building in the distance may be one of those shown on the post card.

Robert
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
Posted 04/30/2016   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can add a bunch later, but here are two of my favorites. First, a funicular railway -- Angel's Flight in Los Angeles. This little railway operated from 1901 to 1969, when it was demolished for safety issues. But it was so beloved that Angelenos rebuilt it in a slightly different location and it is back in operation today.

The other is of the ferry "Solano" -- Southern Pacific's water link across the San Francisco Bay. The vessel carried an entire train of up to 48 cars across the bay! She was in service from 1879 to 1930, when a railroad bridge was complete, after which the Solana was scrapped and scuttled to create a breakwater near Antioch, CA.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
947 Posts
Posted 05/01/2016   06:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Railroading and RR modeling is another one of my hobbies. The Boston & Maine ran right thru the middle of our farm in Bedford, Mass. They used to give us rides to Concord!

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
Posted 05/04/2016   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found these three train wreck postcards on eBay. I haven't been able to find any mention of this wreck in the local newspapers. The backs are blank too.

I know Lucerne was on the Milwaukee Road line.

I wonder how many postcards were in this set? I have #'s 1, 8 and 9.

Edited by MeadowviewCollector - 05/04/2016 2:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2897 Posts
Posted 05/04/2016   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lucerne, Missouri is on a rail line to Milwaukee, Wisconsin?

Or is the Milwaukee Road Line otherwise named?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...%E2%80%9329) ... not here, so probably a simple derailment
Edited by ikeyPikey - 05/04/2016 3:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
861 Posts
Posted 05/04/2016   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Milwaukee Road" was a marketing name used by the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad, and Lucerne was adjacent to its main line from Milwaukee to Kansas City.
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
Posted 05/04/2016   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
cjpalermo is correct. The first depot on the C.M. St. Paul & Pacific main line in Missouri was at Powersville. Lucerne had a depot as well.

Somewhere on a USB drive I have a map saved that shows all the various railroads crossing Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin and maybe a few other states. I'll see if I can locate it. I know I also have pictures of the depot at Powersville and Lucerne.

-MV
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
Posted 05/05/2016   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the 1887 map

Here's a website that shows most of the depots along the main line to Kansas City http://www.missouridepots.com/rail-...ist.htm#MILW

The depots at Powersville and Lucerne are identical design wise. A long freight house and a two story "house"--the lower being the office and living quarters above. I recall reading the C.M. St. P & Pacific used this layout in other states.

These two depots along with most of the others along this line were sold off and demolished. The rail line remains in use.

-MV
Pillar Of The Community
United States
869 Posts
Posted 05/05/2016   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This train doesn't go through Lucerne, but it does pass through Bern. This old, Swiss card shows the BLS Loetschbergbahn, or Bern-Loetschberg-Simplon railway. This was the largest private, standard gauge network on the Swiss rail system throughout the 20th century. Although it was a private system, the Canton of Bern owned most of the stock in the company.

This card is dated 14 October 1913, from the Brig rail station p.o. View shows the train stopped at Blausee, with the peaks of Fisistock, Balmhorn, and Altels labelled.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 05/05/2016 4:11 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12127 Posts
Posted 05/05/2016   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Lucerne, MO railroad station as it looked in 1957:

Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
Posted 05/17/2016   3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a train I'd love to ride! The Union Pacific Streamliner. The specs are on the front and it has an Green River & Portland RPO on the back. I also like the sender's comment: "This is some train. Smooth as glass -- like an Oldsmobile."

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12127 Posts
Posted 05/17/2016   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Curiously, that train design was said to be a failure. Here's an interesting read on the design:

http://streamlinermemories.info/?p=143
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
428 Posts
Posted 06/14/2016   6:26 pm  Show Profile Check rlmstamps2012's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlmstamps2012 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Very nice and informative thread.

A Cachet Craft - Ken Boll, 1950 FDC Scott # 993 block of four.

The stamp and drawing are "Honoring Railroad Engineers of America".

1 Posts
Posted 07/21/2016   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cakcollectibles to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love the railroad postcards.Mainly the real photo depots in small towns
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Subway Stamp Shop -- Website and Wished-for Products
  Hodge Podge of stamps I need help identifying
  1875-88 canada registration stamp F1 (i cannot determine color)? org,vermilion or rose carmine?
  Scott # 35 major re-entry (Sc 35XX) ?
  What is an "Internal Tear"??
  What's not to like about gators?
  The Stamps of Kyrgyzstan.
  How often do you gaze upon?
  Australian Penny Red
  Purchased this cover today at thrift store!
  QR6 Quebec registration stamp - Need second opinion.
  Where Do Mint Postage Due Stamps Come From???
  Recommendation re: good UV lights?
  Need help identifying stamp
  Tasmania Cancellation
  Red streak in this C11 airmail
  2 cents George Washington
  Deutshes Reich Stamp
  Australia one penny red stamp
  Scott #8? I Wish I Was That Smart
  Deutsch Reich "Germania" 10 Pf. 1920-1921 bright Yellow-Orange Variety???
  Scott 047 or 047iii...?
  1932 Block of 4 Kangaroo & Map in Violet
  ECUADOR 36 Revenue Tax Fiscal Stamps - Latin America BOB Back of Book Engraved
  XMAS 1898 - Is that a Precancel under there?

Hodge Podge of stamps I need help identifying
  QR6 Quebec registration stamp - Need second opinion.
  Wow! Somebody got creative...
  Where Do Mint Postage Due Stamps Come From???
  Subway Stamp Shop -- Website and Wished-for Products
  RUSSIA ---1924 lenin imperf . fakes and forgeries
  Need help identifying stamp
  1875-88 canada registration stamp F1 (i cannot determine color)? org,vermilion or rose carmine?
  Subway Nassau Binders Discontinued
  BRIDGES,BRIDGES,BRIDGES! on stamps
  Removing those pesky self adhesives from envelopes
  What's not to like about gators?
  1c 1851 Plate 3 Stamps
  Whats in your Library?
  Help With Japanese Stamp
  What makes a stamp dealer successful?
  How often do you gaze upon?
  Purchased this cover today at thrift store!
  Scott # 35 major re-entry (Sc 35XX) ?
  What is an "Internal Tear"??
  Australian Perfins and Perfin Varieties
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  1932 Block of 4 Kangaroo & Map in Violet
  Urban Legends of Philately
  Tasmania Cancellation

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05