Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cover Calendar for month and day -PICS  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 136
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
707 Posts
Posted 03/14/2011   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
March must be a difficult month to find covers for. Here is another first flight cover, front and back, between two very small locations. At least they certainly would both have been small in 1938.

As an aside, anyone know what the "9" in the Ware, and the "19" in the Prince George postmarks are for? I had assumed it was the 19 part of 1938 but now I am not sure.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 03/14/2011   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
anyone know what the "9" in the Ware, and the "19" in the Prince George postmarks are for?

Usually these numbers are either time marks or clerk numbers or at larger centers office numbers. I am curious though as to why Ware has a '9' there unless clerks got to choose their own number? Time marks most likely would have AM or PM alongside.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
707 Posts
Posted 03/14/2011   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ware would most likely have had to count sled dogs to reach 100 population and I imagine Prince George, at the time, might have had 1 or 2,000 people so the number of clerks must have been very limited. I think the "choose your own number" idea probably has a lot of merit. Thanks for the thought.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1507 Posts
Posted 03/15/2011   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No kidding; March is a cruel month when it comes to covers. None; then several. Enjoy.

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12126 Posts
Posted 03/17/2011   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Backtracking to March 15th, I just came across this one. Great cancel on a gutter block. Also, a very futuristic cachet for 1935 (by C. Stephen Anderson):

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1227 Posts
Posted 03/17/2011   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mhc99 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a cover for Mar 17th:

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
707 Posts
Posted 03/17/2011   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an interesting one for tomorrow - from Niger to Liberia - that may be an FDC but is a neat usage whatever the case.

Pillar Of The Community
USA
9740 Posts
Posted 03/18/2011   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I am a day early...i don't care...i went through 3 boxes of covers and this is the closest I came to March 18 ! Its my old High School !

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12126 Posts
Posted 03/19/2011   12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Still running a couple of days late, I know. Just found this one from France postmarked March 16th (1998):

Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
Posted 03/19/2011   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add butterfly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
one for today -- USA to Germany.

Tomorrow would be a good day to find one related to the first day of Spring or the beginning of the lunar new year as celebrated in Persia, etc.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5810 Posts
Posted 03/19/2011   10:40 am  Show Profile Check smauggie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Been waiting since the thread started to post this one, and I am still two days late. Better late than never, they say.

Pillar Of The Community
USA
9740 Posts
Posted 03/19/2011   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Get with the program will you Antonio ! I imagine thats Shamrock Florida not hamrock....never been there !

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1507 Posts
Posted 03/19/2011   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cowboys anyone?

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12126 Posts
Posted 03/19/2011   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back to the cover from Shamrock, Florida ... just looked up the fact that it's a discontinued post office (DPO) that was active only from 1928-1966. While I suppose cancellations from that location were popular for St. Patrick's Day, some may find the cancellation a collectible because of its DPO status.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
707 Posts
Posted 03/20/2011   12:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not related to the first day of spring, but it's a pretty cover anyhow.

Page: of 136 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Purple Heart Reissues
  Obvious reperf of Scott 309
  Question about Official release dates and "First Known Usage"
  Belgium Hexagon Cancels
  Old stamps from Asia and Russia
  Washington 1 green, rotary coil waste Scott 545 ?
  Some tagged/untagged stamps not in Unitrade.
  Nice Block Find R6 Stamps
  Belgian Numeral Cancels
  Belgium railway cancel on regular stamps
  Neat improper usage I found
  Switzerland BOB Postage Due
  Brazil International Postal Tax - Series B?
  Misidentified narcotic stamp, and fake as well
  New Error on Vanishing Species Semi-Postal of 2011?
  Some of my New Zealand Plate Blocks
  New Zealand SG931 - a question, please.
  Canada 1693 $5 Moose
  Stamp Pricing Books and Websites
  2 large books and 2 small ones
  1 Franklin Rotary Press ?? What is the perforation ??
  Noobie coming through!
  Reference for USPS Souvenir Pages
  Never noticed W.F. & Co. Cancel Until 10 minutes Ago
  A question about early Spain stamps

Obvious reperf of Scott 309
  Purple Heart Reissues
  Nice Block Find R6 Stamps
  Neat improper usage I found
  Double and Triple Transfers
  Old stamps from Asia and Russia
  Help with George Marshall #1289 Variants
  Question about Official release dates and "First Known Usage"
  Your oldest stamp pictures
  GOLD is everywhere, everything is GOLDEN
  SKELETON Stamps
  PMGS Stamp Album Page Generator for Scribus v1.2
  Sharks and rays
  Stamp Smarter March Contest
  Need Help With US Scott #101
  Belgium railway cancel on regular stamps
  Belgian Numeral Cancels
  Belgium Hexagon Cancels
  danish classics, show them to me.
  APS Survey Report Posted
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Misidentified narcotic stamp, and fake as well
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Washington 1 green, rotary coil waste Scott 545 ?
  Netherlands 1867 type 1 and 2.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.94 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05