Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cover Calendar for month and day -PICS  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 134
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3519 Posts
Posted 01/14/2011   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just see that you don't, Smauggie, just see that you don't
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
707 Posts
Posted 01/14/2011   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found some for January. Here's the 15th. Noted that an esteemed member of Canada's Senate seems to be using the senate post office to order some tailor made shirts from London. I trust that they didn't appear on his expense account too. I think I am a tad late to demand an audit.

Edited by backroads - 01/15/2011 01:58 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1507 Posts
Posted 01/14/2011   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've covers, mostly us modern, if I can unbury them from the back of the closet.
Guess this is the motivation to finish cataloging and ...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1507 Posts
Posted 01/14/2011   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can we back up to Jan 1?
<edit> Knew I'd find it if given time.

Here's Jan 6.

Edited by bfranton - 01/15/2011 11:41 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1507 Posts
Posted 01/14/2011   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
and Jan 8 another year.

Edited by bfranton - 01/14/2011 11:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9740 Posts
Posted 01/15/2011   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, heres my calendar spot.....

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1507 Posts
Posted 01/15/2011   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh... I do like that cover Philb!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
707 Posts
Posted 01/16/2011   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And no one had a cover for the 16th? Here's a different one for the 17th, an hour early because I am not staying up for another 4 hours until midnight catches up.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3519 Posts
Posted 01/16/2011   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Asleep at the wheel, Your Honour

Here's a 16 January 1906 Indian postal stationery card from Lucknow to one of the several thousand places called Kishangarh in India

and a 17 January receipt CDS of Bhiwaniganj in Jhalawar State (issued stamps 1886 to 1900) from (an unreadable village in) Jind State in 1925

Not close to each other geographically, but the one follows the other in the catalogue. Nice piece of alphabetical symmetry!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2474 Posts
Posted 01/17/2011   08:22 am  Show Profile Check tomiseksj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For Jan 17th, an FDC of U.S. Scott 1073 -- the 3c Ben Franklin issued this date in Philadelphia, PA. According to Scott, 351,260 covers are said to have received the first day cancellation.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
707 Posts
Posted 01/17/2011   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And the 16th makes it on under the wire!

Lovely cover but I do have a question. Were the postal systems of these states, some of which were pretty small, I gather, administered by the British as a part of the larger "India" post office or were they entirely under the jurisdiction of the individual issuing power? Seperate members of UPU and international agreements and the like?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3519 Posts
Posted 01/17/2011   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An excellent question, Backroads, and as usual with the Indian States, there's no simple answer.

First, the UPU. This part is simple: no State was a signatory to the UPU. Part of the deal between the British and the Indian rulers was that they could remain in place, as long as they had no relations with any external power or body. (The British unseated the Maharaja of Indore - a major State in Central India - in 1903 ostensibly because he was mad (which he was) but in fact due to rumours he'd been in contact with the French and Germans.)

However, from the 6 June 1950 until September 1951, Travancore-Cochin stamps were valid for postage to foreign destinations. Examples (even philatelic ones) seem to be very scarce. Mail from other States did occasionally slip through, like this from Jind

but it was never legal or authorised.

The six Convention States concluded an agreement with the British in 1885, under which the British supplied Indian stamps (and postal stationery) to be overprinted with the State's name. The State could continue to run its postal system, within its own borders, and the stamps would be accepted for mail throughout India. The States had to keep to the British Indian postage rates (which were usually higher than in the non-Convention States.) I've shown examples above.

Generally, the stamps of the non-Convention States were only valid within their own borders. Mail from the States to British India either had to be franked with British Indian stamps, or had to have both State and British Indian stamps. This cover was sent from Jhalawar State to the neighbouring (Convention) State of Gwalior:

It has a Jhalawar stamp (SG 2) on the British Indian Anna postal stationery envelope. This could cut two ways: mail from outside a State, addressed to a place where there was no British Indian post office, could be carried by the State system, and was sometimes charged. This card

was sent from a town in Hyderabad State to a town in Jhalawar State which didn't have a British Indian PO. The card was carried to the State capital, Jhalrapatan, and was then carried on by the Jhalawar system, and the small black Jhalawar Postage Due cachet was applied in the top left corner.

Finally, two exceptions. Cochin and Travancore States in the southwestern tip of India had an agreement to exchange mails with each other, which the British allowed. Hyderabad, the largest State, was allowed to send its government mail anywhere in India, without using Indian stamps

and also to use its own official stamps to send mail from anywhere in India back to Hyderabad. (I don't have an example of this to show.)

Sorry for that very long-winded explanation, Backroads, but it does show why the Indian States can be so much exasperating fun
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
707 Posts
Posted 01/17/2011   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Tony! Actually, I love it when a simple question can provoke such a detailed answer. Being a paper person at heart, I am now going to experiment with trying to print the answer without getting the whole thread.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1507 Posts
Posted 01/18/2011   01:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Day late, dollar short; here's the 16th of Jan.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3519 Posts
Posted 01/18/2011   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here we go with the Indian Convention States again, for the 19 January (well, it's 14 minutes away for me ...)

This one was used in 1932 from the small town of Bhensoda in the former State of Gwalior to Sambhar Lake, a centre of the salt trade in Rajasthan. No prizes for guessing what the correspondence was about, then.

The two cobras and Sun motif on the card, and the cobra in the Bhensoda CDS, refer to the legend that the founder of the ruling house of Gwalior was abandoned in a field as a baby. Two cobras, recognising the importance of the infant, came and shielded it from the sun by spreading their hoods to shade it. All the postal stationery of Gwalior showed the cobras and Sun, in different forms, and many Gwalior cancellations did, too - including some with the cobras crawling around the top of the cancellation.
Page: of 134 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Guatemala stamp ?? Thanks for your help !
  ASDA Mid-West Postage Stamp Show
  New Online US Stamp Mount Finder Tool
  Regumming stamps - Why do it?
  Norway used lot off paper. 440 stamps.
  Places with philatelic references
  Need Help with understanding cancels France Ceres
  Question about Pricing of Korean Stamps
  Help needed identifying stamp
  Image naming : How to remove first 4 characters.
  Hi All, Could I get a certificate if this is a 534b ?
  possible 554d 10perf Washington 2cent
  Please help with these British Overprints
  Layout of De La Rue Sheets of 240 on early British Colonies
  How did early collectors keep stamps MNH??
  Barbados 1985 Marine Life and 1994 Ships Issues - date varieties
  J1 vs. J15 stamp size?
  Hi, Can I have help ich I believe is a 504 b type V11
  Indian collection of Feudatory States
  Looking for a Revenue Dealer
  Qatar AIRLETTER Shaikh Ahmad Ali al Thani
  K.B. Spezial Zeppelin Post Catalog
  Dubai AIRLETTER 1963 of 10r Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed
  The Edward VII Issue of Canada: A detailed study by George C. Marler
  New member have a stamp for grabs

What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Bicycles on Stamps...
  Guatemala stamp ?? Thanks for your help !
  Image naming : How to remove first 4 characters.
  How did early collectors keep stamps MNH??
  danish classics, show them to me.
  Prephilatelic covers - any interest? Show - tell - ask - explain!
  Pottery, Ceramics, Porcelain, and other clayware
  Post your Inauguration Day covers
  Barbados 1985 Marine Life and 1994 Ships Issues - date varieties
  ASDA Mid-West Postage Stamp Show
  Curious about Webstore anyone heard of or tried it?
  Please help with these British Overprints
  Indian collection of Feudatory States
  New Online US Stamp Mount Finder Tool
  Need Help with understanding cancels France Ceres
  Regumming stamps - Why do it?
  Cancel to order - why are they worth so little
  Question about Pricing of Korean Stamps
  Are Duplicates Worth Collecting?
  Norway used lot off paper. 440 stamps.
  Places with philatelic references
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Help needed identifying stamp
  1938 Jamaca Scott 116b Watermark Sideways cv $9000 does anybody know?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.61 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05