Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cover Calendar for month and day -PICS  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 134
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 12/26/2016   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Only a post card and a cover today, both out of Mendocino County, Cal. The post card is from Melbourne, the cover from Ukiah, the biggest city in the county.

The cover isn't the prettiest but with these counties, I take what I can find. It does have a bit of mystery to it though, The postmark, Ukiah's 2nd townmark (first was a pen) it is Men 3680 in use from Jul 30 1865 to Mar 2 1875. Typical of Circle dat stamps of the era, it carries no year date but is dated Dec 2. in then upper right corner just above and to the left of the indicia is a manuscript Dec 26, 74. Did the old postmarking device drop a numeral? Doubt that, the 2 is too well centered under Dec. Or is that the date the addressee replied?

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 12/27/2016   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Deja vu all over again! It is Alton and another unreported postmark.

This unreported CDS (temporarily referred to as Hum 105) is similar to both Hum 100 and 110. In Hum 100 and Hum 105, the town name is off centered to the left, if centered the T of Alton would be directly over the middle letter of the month. If a line was drawn connecting the bottom of the first and last letters of ALTON, the line would bisect the month.

In Hum 110, the town name is centered, and a line drawn as before connecting the bottom to the first and last letters of the name would bisect the top of the day numbers.

In Hum 100 the time and year fonts are noticeably smaller. In Hum 105 and Hum 110 the Month, day, time and year are all the same size font.

The size of the day font in the Oct 18 postmark (this was also duplexed with the doane cancel) is in between the size of the fonts
used for the month and that of the time and year.

The last known use of Hum 100 is Dec 27, 1913, the same day as this CDS and the earliest known use of Hum 110 is Jun 25 1915.

A bit less controversial are these two covers, the first from Hydesville (and the Los Angles receiver on back) in Humboldt and the other from Mendocino city.

Pillar Of The Community
825 Posts
Posted 12/27/2016   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
littleriverphil,
It is deja vu, and again please send your Alton, CA doane impressions to Gary Anderson's postal history page. I believe he will confirm what you show is 3 progressive states of wear of device Hum-100 between 1905-1913 (and Gary lists a LKU of Dec 30, 1914). Note that the outer ring is essentially a disk of rubber containing the town/state, which was cemented onto the cancel base around the central holes for the date slugs. The outer ring could occasionally fall off and get replaced in a rotated position. Thus drawing different lines across the interior date slugs does not prove a different variety - you want to look for font and letter spacing. Also the size of the daily-changed interior slugs does not prove a cancel device. Gary will be able to tell you more about the construction of these devices and their wear/tear as they reached the end of their lives.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 12/28/2016   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 12/29/2016   11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lol Another postcard from Caspar to Olga Wahlstrom, now in Oakland (See Dec 23 & Dec 24)Thank you Olga for saving your cards.

The second card is from 10 miles south of Caspar, Little River.

I am fairly sure that cover is addressed to Sonora in Toulumne County. There was no Poul county in California

Edited by littleriverphil - 12/29/2016 3:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
825 Posts
Posted 12/29/2016   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The sender abbreviated the county name in the address as
Sonora
Toul. County
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 12/29/2016   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you John. I knew it was abbreviated, I was amused by the shape of the writers T, a tongue in cheek comment that I should have added a grin to help indicate humor. Sorry.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 12/30/2016   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 12/31/2016   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This card should have been shown yesterday. I find this card amusing. Mrs. LeValley in Hardy mails the card to her son Fred in Fort Bragg. The Miller Stage Co. stage carried the mails on that route, their driver was Fred LeValley. He probably had lunch with his mom, as Hardy was the end of his route.

Here we are at the end of the year, and I have 5 items left on the calendar.
Bridgeville showed no readable day date, so by default it ended up here today. :)

Moody and Noyo complete the months postcards, unsure of the day of the Moody cancel. But that tree is huge!

And my final piece of the year is a cover from Pertrolia, in Humboldt county.

Valued Member
Australia
179 Posts
Posted 12/31/2016   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penguins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unusual as it was, I believe, the only Australian Post Office open on January 1st 1983

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 01/01/2017   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A post card from both Humboldt and Mendocino counties for the first day of the year.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 01/02/2017   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I have a postcard and a cover, both from Mendocino county. Manchester is a small (, Almost every town in the county is small) dairy community that was known for it's butter during the 1900's.

About 40 miles north, a mile south of Albion was the town of Whitesboro, a very busy town, for a while. They had a hotel, a train, a post office and a shipping point in a semi protected cove.
The Whitesboro post office was opened Oct 11 1881 and closed Dec 30 1899. The towns first postmark was a fancy closed belt forming an oval, struck in purple ink on this cover with a separate black killer.
Following the cover I will show 3 old photos of the hotel, the post office and the wharf. One of the four ships tied up at the wharf is the Georgia R Higgins who the week before this cover was mailed carried the first cargo from the newly opened port of Bear Harbor. The ship was wrecked a week after this cover was mailed.

The couple of men in this photo are standing by the post office.\

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 01/03/2017   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A single cover for today's date, a nice looking cc from Eureka. The postmark (Hum 1670) in use from Nov 1 1876 to Nov 15 1885, is almost identical to Hum 1660, the only difference being the 2mm distance from the first letters of town and state. Most other towns and cities in the mid to late 70's changes their postmarking devices to include the year. Eureka did not, this cover is dated by the docketing and postmarks on the back.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 01/04/2017   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For today's date, I have one Humboldt postcard from Harris. The writer apparently forgot what year it was.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 01/05/2017   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two items today, a postcard from Willits and a part of a Registered larger envelopes or package front from Port Kenyon.

The Willits postcard bears what appears to be Men 4150 as it is the correct size (1c 25.5 14L) but the external year date and most of the ellipse killer seem to have been struck on another corner of a different card or cover/ This postmark was used between Jul 10 1917 and May 19 1922. The face of the card shows the Northwestern Mill, about 5 miles northwest of Willits, Notherwestern had it's own post office. When the mill closed down and was dismantled, the community became Brooktrails.

This Registered piece must have been very large envelope or a package wrapper, it has been trimmed down to a displayable size with all the postal markings. It shows a fancy wheel of fortune cancel tying the two banknotes and Postmarked with Port Kenyon's first town mark, an elaborate 3 ring town and county CDS. This Jan 5th use is eight months and days earlier than the EKU in the Williams book.

Page: of 134 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  for US addresses only posted overseas, & what is the odd number LHS?
  Old Wells Fargo Local Stamp. Reprint or real?
  Can anyone help me identify this?
  Before and after Peroxide. No not my hair!
  Bids not meeting reserve price on eBay
  Pink? Vermillon? 1894 1c Postage Due "Paper Color" is completely through the entire stamp?
  precancel postage dues
  Is this Bermuda 28 with wmk.3?
  Forwarding agent or Business
  Scott #445 (A140) Coil Stamp Perf 10 Horizontally Washington 3c Violet? Is it Type I or Type III ?
  Providence Rhode Island 5 Cent Stamp With Red Strands. Authentic?
  2 Cent Red Washington Without corner triangles?
  Rules to Classify Topical Subjects
  New stamp error in Germany (christmas stamp)
  Guatemala stamp ?? Thanks for your help !
  ASDA Mid-West Postage Stamp Show
  New Online US Stamp Mount Finder Tool
  Regumming stamps - Why do it?
  Norway used lot off paper. 440 stamps.
  Places with philatelic references
  Need Help with understanding cancels France Ceres
  Question about Pricing of Korean Stamps
  Help needed identifying stamp
  Image naming : How to remove first 4 characters.
  Hi All, Could I get a certificate if this is a 534b ?

Hi, Can I have help ich I believe is a 504 b type V11
  Collecting by Engraver
  for US addresses only posted overseas, & what is the odd number LHS?
  Old Wells Fargo Local Stamp. Reprint or real?
  Providence Rhode Island 5 Cent Stamp With Red Strands. Authentic?
  Where can I find Long Island ?
  BRIDGES,BRIDGES,BRIDGES! on stamps
  Can anyone help me identify this?
  Prephilatelic covers - any interest? Show - tell - ask - explain!
  What kind of features do you expect from digital (philatelic) publications?
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  danish classics, show them to me.
  Layout of De La Rue Sheets of 240 on early British Colonies
  Scott #445 (A140) Coil Stamp Perf 10 Horizontally Washington 3c Violet? Is it Type I or Type III ?
  Is this Bermuda 28 with wmk.3?
  Pottery, Ceramics, Porcelain, and other clayware
  Rules to Classify Topical Subjects
  Speedboats (and other small watercraft)
  Scouting stamps from around the world
  Question about Pricing of Korean Stamps
  Bids not meeting reserve price on eBay
  Before and after Peroxide. No not my hair!
  K.B. Spezial Zeppelin Post Catalog
  possible 554d 10perf Washington 2cent
  New Edition of Michel Zeppelin Catalog Coming Soon

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.87 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05