Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cover Calendar for month and day -PICS  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 132
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
Posted 03/25/2011   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add butterfly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The good news is the card did not get destroyed

Russ,I'm surprised you like the cancel so much. I have more that I think are the same type (the flag is the same), though none have the expo described on the back side.

Send me an address and I'll give it a new home. You might like the previous card also(the old smokey jail card).
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by butterfly - 03/25/2011 6:09 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12122 Posts
Posted 03/26/2011   12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I submit this for March 26th. A modern, but easily forgotten, postal stationery item:

Edited by wt1 - 03/26/2011 12:25 am
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12122 Posts
Posted 03/26/2011   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To backup to March 25th for a moment, I came across this cancellation on a page (not a cover) but found the typeset appearance of the cancel and relatively small letters used in the city/date circle to be rather unique. Does anyone know how common this sort of first day cancel may be or was it just at the discretion of the local postmaster to create these in any way they saw fit?

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12122 Posts
Posted 03/29/2011   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A FDC for March 29th:

I'll probably add my own cachet at some point. "Of the people, by the people, for the people" is from the Gettysburg Address, so maybe a Lincoln cachet might be appropriate.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1507 Posts
Posted 03/29/2011   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tad early for PDT, but will hope no one minds. Here are several for March 30th.
They really do seemingly get bunched up by release dates... anyone know how they select them if the cover is not a real anniversary?
Anyway... Enjoy A nice map too!

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
707 Posts
Posted 03/30/2011   01:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another interesting one for the 30th. To my mind, it might have been improved if it wre actually posted and cancelled on the Queen Mary, but it's a great period piece anyhow.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3527 Posts
Posted 04/02/2011   11:33 am  Show Profile Check jhlovell's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jhlovell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can finally contribute for Wednesday 6 Apr 1959

Edited by jhlovell - 04/03/2011 2:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
707 Posts
Posted 04/03/2011   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one for post card buffs with a very clean April 3 cancel.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2470 Posts
Posted 04/03/2011   11:10 am  Show Profile Check tomiseksj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I'm late. Here is one for yesterday. A Czech cover to the U.S. postmarked April 2, 1938.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1507 Posts
Posted 04/04/2011   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No fooling;a late entry for April 1st

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12122 Posts
Posted 04/04/2011   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one for January...and February...and March...and April.

A total of 30 postmarks from around the world on one cover!

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 04/04/2011   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow all that on 10 cents postage!
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12122 Posts
Posted 04/04/2011   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. Here's the condensed version of the story about that round-the-world cover:

Quote:
On January 13, 1948, a Douglas DC-4 took off from Miami, Florida on a remarkable round-the-world flight that ended on April 15th of that year, when the plane landed in New York, NY, 100-days and 44,500 miles later! Stops were made at 31 cities, spanning every continent! The flight was commemorated by the placing of cancels at each of the stops on a 10 United States P.O. air letter sheet (Scott Catalog # UC-16).

The purpose of the trip was 2-fold. It was a goodwill trip for Standard Oil of New Jersey, the plane being named the Atlas Sky Merchant. Atlas was one of the trade names of the company. It was also a fund-raising enterprise, for 5000 specially printed copies of the air letter sheet had been prepared in advance, and each was canceled at each of those 31 stops. These were then to be awarded to donors to the Damon Runyon Memorial Cancer Fund.

I guess that green postmark of sorts in the lower right hand corner makes up the 31st postmark.
Edited by wt1 - 04/04/2011 2:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 04/04/2011   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that is a neat cover I'd like to own. It reminds me of my own postmark project and others I've seen.
Australia
1927 Posts
Posted 04/04/2011   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Triggersmob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, these are a little late.

This one is April 2nd and mailed to my address in England, where I lived 42 years ago.

This one is basically the same and mailed to an address not far from where I moved to, 6 months later.

And this one is a little early, April 9th.

Steve
Page: of 132 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Different shade of color Scott# 1526
  Interesting US on Mexico Cancel
  I went off and I did it (Scott International)
  information about this error iran stamp ?
  This looks like a strip of 3 26A, but need expert opinion
  When Buying, How Important Are Catalog(ue) Numbers To You In Listings?
  DWI scott 11 normal? arabesque
  Some new revenue document acquisitions
  Italy - stampless letters
  Germany WWII POW covers
  Why web developers lose their hair...Reward to anyone who solves this
  Fluorescent Paper, How to Tell?
  Sunlike kill cancell.
  German postal stationery items ID help needed
  African colonial forerunners
  Greetings from German East Africa
  Fables de la Fontaine
  France Colony, please help!
  Scotts catalog. Have a few questions.
  Flyspecking Scott 650
  edwardv111 stamps moroccan agencies
  Mystery Numeral Stamp
  Amazing Strip of 9 Type IV Scott #9 Franklin on cover
  Mystery Princely States Stamp
  Album Pages for Modern Used Stamps

I went off and I did it (Scott International)
  Different shade of color Scott# 1526
  National Stamp Exhibition NYC Feb 10, 1934 Cover Letter
  Amazing Strip of 9 Type IV Scott #9 Franklin on cover
  GB fancy cancel on 137?
  When Buying, How Important Are Catalog(ue) Numbers To You In Listings?
  Breaking Up U.S. Plate Blocks to Get a Nice Single
  Where did you get the most stamps from last year?
  North Carolina Cleaning Tax
  Interesting US on Mexico Cancel
  Latin Species Names For Plants & Animals
  Fluorescent Paper, How to Tell?
  Not receiving subscription emails
  FIREWORKS on stamps, postmarks, postcards, etc.
  Any classic Sweden stamps atestators around?
  danish classics, show them to me.
  Opinions on Palo albums?
  Cogwheels
  Flyspecking Scott 650
  France Colony, please help!
  Why web developers lose their hair...Reward to anyone who solves this
  Is it possible that this C15 is a fake?
  Doves as Symbols of Peace
  Help on Poland Stamps
  information about this error iran stamp ?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.59 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05