Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help on Poland Stamps  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
Australia
396 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YeaPolska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh this is very nice indeed, many thanks crow22, it's a catalogue of "Solidarity" stamps & labels issued in the 80's in Poland by the Solidarity underground.

There were hundreds of these printed during the Polish Solidarity freedom movement in the 80s. They were all clandestine, jail sentences for the perpetrators, & served as charity & propaganda items. Produced by small printers all over the country, issued in small numbers, typically low thousands, although there are some in the tens of thousands. Printing quality ranges from photocopy to very professional.

Subject matter tended to be propaganda, Polish heroes, martyrs, the current Polish pope, etc., although they certainly had their eye on stamp collectors as the illustrated label from a set of Polish zoological beasties shows.

The market is not strong for these & they typically sell for a dollar or so each.

To the stamp in question

AOZ/109 - Polish Zoology - Horse fly
years - 1982-1984
issued by "Solidarity" Mazowsze Region

BTW Rod, I'm still putting together a reply to your query about gum on the 1919 PKL Eagle stamps, Xmas got in the way & if I can just find one little missing cover I'll have it ready. I've got it here somewhere, I know I do.....

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by YeaPolska - 01/11/2017 9:55 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
17697 Posts
Posted 01/11/2017   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, take your time, I am not going anywhere.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
17697 Posts
Posted 01/13/2017   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Continuing with the theme, and using the phrase "Underground Post"

Some more I had mounted some years ago. (2011)
I have not checked against the *.pdf that 22crows found, as yet.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
17697 Posts
Posted 01/13/2017   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Very Nice Pictormark
Katowice Trade Fair
Cover Owner : "Zipper"

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
17697 Posts
Posted 01/13/2017   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Curiosity:

The similarity between Sc#3924 and emblem of AVG Anti Virus.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
17697 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   03:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unknown:
1987 Pope John Paul visit. Minisheet.
(Not mine)

50 Zloty stamp

Edited by rod222 - 01/15/2017 03:49 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1877 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   04:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

The SG Poland catalogue has the following note after SG 3111:

"A miniature sheet containing No. 3111 and two labels showing Pope John Paul II and Pres. Jaruzelski exists from a limited printing (price 85)."

Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
17697 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   08:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"A miniature sheet containing No. 3111 and two labels showing Pope John Paul II and Pres. Jaruzelski exists from a limited printing (price 85)."

Hello Nigel,
Marvelous, I'll include it after the minisheet listed scott, (Sc2805 set)
from what I can see, not listed at all in 2009 Scott.
Not listed as a minisheet or a stamp.
Thanks very much for your time.

Edited by rod222 - 01/15/2017 08:48 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
17697 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   09:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Curious as to where this stamp would fit, in the scheme of things.
Poland : Southern Poland 1919 ?

3 Marka "peace" unissued.

"Swords into ploughshares" theme, Book of Isaiah.

Edited by rod222 - 01/15/2017 09:13 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1877 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've not seen any references before to this Polish 3 mark blue-green stamp.

Stamps with this design and currency were used first in North Poland (the former German-controlled part of Poland which used the mark currency) and then for a period throughout Poland.

Stamps in the same design for 2.50 kronen were issued for a time in South Poland (the former Austrian-controlled part of Poland which used the krone currency).

However, I guess as the seller appears to say, this may well have been prepared for use in the plebiscite area of Upper Silesia but not issued.

The designs of the corresponding low value stamps were reused in new colours for Upper Silesia but the new design showing a Silesian miner was used instead for the higher values.

Scott simply describes these as "Union of Poland with Upper Silesia" in its general run of Poland, Michel lists them in a separate section at the end of Poland while SG takes a middle position and calls them an issue "for districts in Upper Silesia" but lists then in the main Polish run.

I suspect the Fischer catalogue will deal with this but I don't have access to one.

Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
17697 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Erudite Nigel,
thank you very much.
I'll adopt Scott and place the image and your commentary, in the general run.

Valued Member
Australia
396 Posts
Posted 01/15/2017   11:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YeaPolska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "Swords into ploughshares" 3 Mk is indeed as Chris Ceremuga states on eBay, an unissued value for the Polish part of Upper Silesia. This area had a different currency to the rest of Poland & hence the need for separate stamps. There were 4 unissued values, 1Mk (perf & imperf), 2, 3 & 5Mk, differentiated from the regular Polish high-value issues of 1919 by their colour. They are listed in the Fischer catalogue under numbers I-IV & the date is given as 1922. There is also a proof known of a 10 Mk value although no indication of the design is given.

Since his arrival from Poland, Chris Ceremuga has been very active in Australian Philately. He would sometimes come down to the Polish Philatelic Society in Melbourne when I was down there & often emptied my wallet with his wares.
Valued Member
Australia
396 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   12:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YeaPolska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1987 "Jaruzelski" Minisheet has been conroversial from the start.

The stamp commemorating the 3rd visit of Pope John Paul to Poland was issued on June 5 1987, Fischer #2950.

No big deal, still available for a dollar or so, not much to sing & dance about. Except that a minisheet was also issued with absolutely NO announcement whatsoever. They were NOT available at any post office except for 1000 which were placed on cover, given a commem cancel of 8 June 1987, together with a registration label which was also cancelled, & sold at the Warsaw 40 post office. Given that none were addressed or sent through the post, the registration label was superfluous.

The one official Polish stamp magazine, Filatelista, could get no information from the Polish post office about this issue & it wasn't until they published what sketchy details they had in the Sept. 1987 issue that the Ministry of Communication was forthcoming with any information. In their communique they stated that 100,000 were issued & gave details of the FDC but nary a word about the secrecy surrounding the issue.

And the philatelic floodgates opened. Could there in fact be a FDC of a minisheet that was never officially issued or generally available? Was this a regular stamp issue or a souvenir reprint? But valid for postage. Just how DID 100,000 sheets show up on the philatelic market at greatly inflated prices, market price today is around the $40-$50 mark.

General Jaruzelski's name was mud in light of his crackdown on Solidarity & the freedom movement in Poland so we assume the authorities though better of having his name so blatantly associated with the Pope. The POLISH Pope no less.

The minisheet is catalogued in Fischer as Blok 88
Edited by YeaPolska - 01/16/2017 01:55 am
Valued Member
Australia
396 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   01:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YeaPolska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been staring at my AVG icon for years & never noticed the similarity to the 1989 Washington World Stamp Fair stamp.

Stamp fair? Okay, let's print 4,000,000 perfed stamps & how about only 490,000 imperf ones, that should put the price up (and it has)

1989 14 Nov. World Stamp Fair, Washington. Fischer 3081A imperf, marginal copy.

Valued Member
Australia
396 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   01:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YeaPolska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Working backwards here. "Pictormark", not a word in my vocabulary till now, reminds me of the Monty Python skit about an upper crust family sitting around pronouncing various words with relish.

Here's a rather sad one dated 1939 23 Aug. publicising the 10th Wolyn Trade Fair scheduled for 15-25 Sept. 1939 but cancelled due to the war.

Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Guatemala stamp ?? Thanks for your help !
  ASDA Mid-West Postage Stamp Show
  New Online US Stamp Mount Finder Tool
  Regumming stamps - Why do it?
  Norway used lot off paper. 440 stamps.
  Places with philatelic references
  Need Help with understanding cancels France Ceres
  Question about Pricing of Korean Stamps
  Help needed identifying stamp
  Image naming : How to remove first 4 characters.
  Hi All, Could I get a certificate if this is a 534b ?
  possible 554d 10perf Washington 2cent
  Please help with these British Overprints
  Layout of De La Rue Sheets of 240 on early British Colonies
  How did early collectors keep stamps MNH??
  Barbados 1985 Marine Life and 1994 Ships Issues - date varieties
  J1 vs. J15 stamp size?
  Hi, Can I have help ich I believe is a 504 b type V11
  Indian collection of Feudatory States
  Looking for a Revenue Dealer
  Qatar AIRLETTER Shaikh Ahmad Ali al Thani
  K.B. Spezial Zeppelin Post Catalog
  Dubai AIRLETTER 1963 of 10r Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed
  The Edward VII Issue of Canada: A detailed study by George C. Marler
  New member have a stamp for grabs

Bicycles on Stamps...
  Guatemala stamp ?? Thanks for your help !
  Image naming : How to remove first 4 characters.
  How did early collectors keep stamps MNH??
  danish classics, show them to me.
  Prephilatelic covers - any interest? Show - tell - ask - explain!
  Pottery, Ceramics, Porcelain, and other clayware
  Post your Inauguration Day covers
  Barbados 1985 Marine Life and 1994 Ships Issues - date varieties
  ASDA Mid-West Postage Stamp Show
  Curious about Webstore anyone heard of or tried it?
  Please help with these British Overprints
  Indian collection of Feudatory States
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  New Online US Stamp Mount Finder Tool
  Need Help with understanding cancels France Ceres
  Regumming stamps - Why do it?
  Cancel to order - why are they worth so little
  Question about Pricing of Korean Stamps
  Are Duplicates Worth Collecting?
  Norway used lot off paper. 440 stamps.
  Places with philatelic references
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Help needed identifying stamp
  1938 Jamaca Scott 116b Watermark Sideways cv $9000 does anybody know?

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.92 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05