Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help on Poland Stamps  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
18402 Posts
Posted 12/25/2016   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it is Russian. Your design matches those on the top row on page 15:

Wow!
What a Christmas I am having
Thank you.
Fabulous *.pdf

Query: Did you mean page 1 ( image D3 at top) or page 7?

My downloaded copy, only reaches page 13. (quotes "sample")

Also currency solved, the 1 KOP pays for the envelope.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 12/25/2016 9:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
981 Posts
Posted 12/25/2016   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the confusion, it's page 3 of the article (Imprinted stamp designs), but p.15 of the .pdf
I was hoping you would read the whole thing as well.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
18402 Posts
Posted 12/28/2016   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Mentioned in Scott 2009.
Does this Miniature Sheet attract a catalogue number, value, in later editions?
Would be Sc#1592a 1968

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
18402 Posts
Posted 12/28/2016   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion, it's page 3 of the article (Imprinted stamp designs), but p.15 of the .pdf
I was hoping you would read the whole thing as well.

I read what appeared to relate to D1-D3 type envelopes,
but as I indicated, my pdf only goes to Page 13. There is no page 15

Aha! I see, I did read it all, I was going by the page of the document, I have just noticed the pdf page in Black at the top, Page 15
Did not notice that.
The pdf shows no page identifier in the Left hand Margin, as most do.

All good.

Edited by rod222 - 12/28/2016 10:47 am
Valued Member
Australia
424 Posts
Posted 12/29/2016   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YeaPolska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just back after the holiday-from-hell, stinking hot, humid, rainy, surrounded by drunks. In a tent. We left at 5.30 in the morning, the highway never looked so good.

Sc#374 OSIECZNO
This is pronounced Osh-yetz-no, with a slight emphasis on the middle section. The cancel is a provisional postmark & there were masses of these after WWII in Poland as well as the other occupied countries whose postal systems were taken over by the Nazis.

They were made with whatever materials were to hand, rubber, brass, even modified German-era ones.

Left - Suchan, right - Radom.

Suchan is a small town in north-west Poland that was annexed by Poland from Germany after the war. Pre-war it was known as Zachan

1947 9 Sept. Grodzisk Mazowiecki to USA. A German-era cancellor with the German parts removed.
Valued Member
Australia
424 Posts
Posted 12/29/2016   01:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YeaPolska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to contradict, but Poland DID use the double-headed eagle at this time.

Previous to Jan 1 1860, Poland used Russian postal stationery, examples used with Polish cancellors make hens teeth look common.

On Jan 1 1860 a Polish stamp & Polish pre-printed stationery were issued to pre-pay postage within Poland & Russia only. Postage from Poland to other international destinations was paid in cash.

The Polish 10 kopeck envelope differed from the Russian in that the text was bilingual, cyrillic for Russian, Latin for Polish. The 10k rate paid for postage within Poland & Russia.

1864 Jan 6 Warsaw to Orenburg, Russia

Square "1" (Warsaw) cancel. Cyrillic "Warszawa 6/1" datestamp. Datestamps in Latin were used for Polish destinations, cyrillic ones for Russian.

The recipient, Josip Alexandrowicz Rawicz, was exiled to Siberia for his part in the failed Polish uprisings of 1863/64. The family was well off otherwise he would have been executed. A fair amount of this family correspondence has survived.

Valued Member
Australia
424 Posts
Posted 12/29/2016   04:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YeaPolska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "75 Years of Polish Philately " sheet (Sc#1591-92, 1968) doesn't warrant a separate number in the Fischer Polish catalogue. I paid $2 for mine years ago so it's not a major value item.

What is a bit more valuable is the sheet with the LEFT margin fully perfed through. This was noted only a few years ago in the Polish philatelic literature & the reason for it is unknown although it is surmised that some of the large sheets (of 6 sheetlets) were perfed at 180 to the others. Fischer has the regular sheet at 12 zloty ($4), the left-margin perfed sheet at 150 zloty ($50). I've been keeping a sharp lookout for this variety, it's not the sort of thing eBay sellers would know about, but so far no luck.

If some sheets WERE fed through incorrectly, it would follow that there would be some sheets with part-perfed RIGHT margins, but so far not a word.

Here's a souvenir from "Thematica 68" in Poznan

I've tried photoshoping the embossed part as it is rather nice
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
18402 Posts
Posted 12/29/2016   05:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry your trip did not turn out as planned, (Place in memory for next year)

Thanks for sharing your rich knowledge in this area.
For the record I have left my mutilated stationery piece Under "Russia"
I take that's correct.

For the record, I also show "views of Warsaw" 1946 cancellation with a number
"3240" presumably a rail freight number of a waybill or similar.

(Curious number at bottom of these issues where the engraver's name usually lies)

I also have a strange occurence, I have an answer to a question I posed about 10 years ago, from "Rein" and I don't know what the question was.

I think it was about an imperf example of the "Gdansk Monuments" in dull violet.

Edited by rod222 - 12/29/2016 05:50 am
Valued Member
Australia
424 Posts
Posted 12/29/2016   06:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YeaPolska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's actually a Censorship mark for international mail. Circular marks were used from Jan. 1946 & straight line ones (like yours) from May till Oct 1946 after which mail, telegram & radio censorship was lifted.

1946 23 March. Golymin to USA. Circular censorship mark.

The "Destruction of Warsaw" series came out slap bang in the middle of the censorship/provisional postmark period, a rich field for study

1946 23 May (backstamp). Lublin to Pulawy. Provisional Lublin postmark

What was the answer to the question re the Gdansk stamp?
Edited by YeaPolska - 12/29/2016 06:57 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
18402 Posts
Posted 12/29/2016   07:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's actually a Censorship mark for international mail. Circular marks were used from Jan. 1946 & straight line ones (like yours)from May till Oct 1946 after which mail, telegram & radio censorship was lifted.

Great! I see a new album page being created. Thank you.

Quote:
What was the answer to the question re the Gdansk stamp?

This was 2004, a lot of water has passed under the Bridge........
Hope this scan is readable.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
18402 Posts
Posted 12/29/2016   07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Curiosity:
Similar Flag evidenced in the painting "Battle of Grunwald"
(My assumption flag of the enemy, the Teutonic knights?)

Valued Member
Australia
424 Posts
Posted 12/29/2016   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YeaPolska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a cross on a Polish flag (white on top, red on bottom), possibly a navy flag. Punch in "Polish navy flags" into google & we get
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ritime_flags

& the first Polish naval Jack we see is from 1927, the cross looking very much like our unknown cancel.

There has been absolutely no response to my query on the Union of Polish Philatelists forum, & I expected as much. The older Polish philatelists who would have this information, or know where to get it, tend not to be computor literate. One of THE best contemporary Polish experts has no computor & uses a typewriter for his (highly regarded) certificates.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
519 Posts
Posted 12/30/2016   01:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rodney,

The Handbook is now on line!

http://www.phila.pl/podstrony/ksiazka/199/185.htm
http://www.phila.pl/podstrony/ksiazka/199/186.htm

But you have to read Polish ...

groetjes, Rein
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
18402 Posts
Posted 12/30/2016   04:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
YeaPolska, Rein.
Thank you for your contributions. Appreciated.
Rein, sorry, my Polish skill, finishes with Doplata, that's about it.
Valued Member
Denmark
364 Posts
Posted 12/30/2016   08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicalStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

The miniature sheet is mentioned in Michel, but does not have an official number.

Mentioned in Scott 2009.
Does this Miniature Sheet attract a catalogue number, value, in later editions?
Would be Sc#1592a 1968

Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Unknown stamp red no value
  Don't be deceived by this odd item
  1934 Stamp Club Menu overprint
  Selling $3 Columbian on Delcampe....
  Steiner pages for Canada
  Australian Penny Red (2)
  Getting Acquainted with Collecting
  New one and two cent acquisitions
  Founded collectable British one pennys
  Large and not so large margins in some stamps
  Canada Post new 150 anniversary series admail
  Austria Lombardy Venetia 2 Soldi Imperf???
  Old Swiss & Austrian & Hungarian Stamps
  RUSSIAN EMPIRE: 4k rose with curious background
  is it variety color left stamp I mean
  Help needed to identify Russian postmark
  Singapore SG85? equal Scott 57b?
  Gunshot wound freak? I cannot tell.
  Canada: New Star Trek Stamps
  After 15 years I lost the enjoyment
  NFR17 perf 12 - Anyone recognize this part-perfin?
  Unlisted paper variety of an official seal
  Help wpth Postage Due shades.
  2016 Chester on Track Event Cover - Massachusetts MA - CSX B&A Conrail Railroad
  VATICAN CITY Scott 110-121 Catholic Reformers Set 1946

Steiner pages for Canada
  More philatelic butchery
  Have another beer stamp!
  Subway Nassau Binders Discontinued
  Flooding and Natural Disasters
  Getting Acquainted with Collecting
  New one and two cent acquisitions
  Don't be deceived by this odd item
  Unknown stamp red no value
  Canada 1182 Color Shift
  UPU - Universal Postal Union - Symbol Stamps
  ORCHIDS on Singapore stamps & world stamps
  Large and not so large margins in some stamps
  Odd shaped stamps. Be cool, don't be a square.
  France stamp - Unsure of year..?
  Four to Eight Weeks for Mail from Canada- Huh??
  Austria Lombardy Venetia 2 Soldi Imperf???
  1934 Stamp Club Menu overprint
  Selling $3 Columbian on Delcampe....
  What FISH stamps do you have???
  Going through family collection
  Tasmania Cancellation
  Australian Penny Red (2)
  Australian Penny Red
  Founded collectable British one pennys

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.75 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05